Thread: Dairy - yes or no? page

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member

Dairy - yes or no?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a newbie on Week 5 of no grain/starch/sugar. The first weeks were more so following Atkins until I found this site and discovered Primal sounds like a better fit for me since I don't plan to re-introduce grains. Reading as much as I can the last weeks, dairy is still confusing me. Some do, some don't? I use butter on steaks and veggies, been eating some cheese, and use heavy cream in coffee. This a no-no, or ok if my body ok with it?

I need to lose around 50 lbs, but feeling awesome is goal #1, so I'm fine with slow weight loss if it means I get to enjoy butter and cheese sometimes...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    With dairy, if you have made dairy elimination before and did not experience any negative consequences on re-introduction (weight gain, stuffy nose, stomach upset, etc) you cna tolerate dairy and all foods you listed are included into PB.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Like the previous comment, I, too, can tolerate dairy just fine. I can eat half a pint of ice cream or a big glass of kefir and feel peachy keen afterwards. (I don't drink milk because I just don't have the taste for it and I rarely eat cheese anymore; however, again, ice cream and some yogurts are a-okay in my book!) I don't consume this stuff daily and sometimes not even weekly - maybe a handful of times per month I will eat dairy products.

But, that's me.

Try cutting out dairy. If you can reintroduce it without issue, then you can make it a regular thing if you want to. Go for full-fat if you do; ideally, go for raw.

Here's Mark's take on it: The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the reponses and link.

What would be a reason to cut out if I feel fine consuming? I figured most cut it out if it didn't agree with them, or weight loss was stalled.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Mostly, no dairy. Some raw cheese sits okay with me, but I can't eat it on a regular basis. Everybody is different, but none of us are cows.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My butter and cream consumption has gone way up. I don't eat other forms of dairy any more.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I think it all just depends on you. I have been off dairy for an extensive period of time and went back on with no problems. When adding it back in it was in the form of butter, cream, and full fat greek yogurt. I later added back pasteurized whole milk. After extensive research I discovered the dangers of pasteurized milk and to a much lesser extent fermented dairy which have live and active enzymes. I still consume pasteurized butter everyday and cheese on the occasion. I consume a quart of raw farm fresh milk everyday. I'm a growing 18 year old and its very crucial for me to keep my calcium intake at a minimum of 1000mg daily. Raw milk also contains many crucial amino acids.

Here is a great site with facts about raw milk
    Raw Milk Facts...The Raw Milk Information Guide You Can Trust!

Find a source near you!
    Where Can I Find Real Milk Products?

Paleobird Guest

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    Thanks for the reponses and link.

What would be a reason to cut out if I feel fine consuming? I figured most cut it out if it didn't agree with them, or weight loss was stalled.
    I didn't realize I was gluten intolerant until I stopped it for a month and then tried it again. Your body adapts to the thing you are intolerant to, to a degree and for a while. Once you are off it for a while your body may react a lot differently once hit with it again.