Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with smoked herring? page

quidam is offline Senior Member

What to do with smoked herring?

Primal Fuel
    The other day I bought some smoked herring for the first time. I have had smoked salmon before and didn't expect it to be too different. I did not expect the extraordinary saltiness of it. There is just too much salt for me to handle!

What can I do to cut the salt? Can I soak it out? If so, will I need to cook it afterward? I've tried smearing cream cheese on it but it was still overpowering.

If the salt can't be brought down, is there any type of primal dish that it could be added to where it won't overwhelm?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You can try soaking it in milk, which works for salted herring. You can boil it and drain the water.

Normally very salty seafoods (like caviar) go great with deviled eggs or on butter (unsalted).

You can use a blender to blend some of the smoked fish with the neutral unsalted base to make a spread or dip for your crudites (i.e cream, butter, sour cream, home made mayo)

You can crumble it in various salads or make a tomato based sauce using it to taste. Just use a recipe that calls for ground beef for something like carbonara sauce or find a recipe for a seafood one. Same goes for soups. Obviously, omit all salt from the recipes!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that potatoes suck out salt. Don't know if that's actually true or how it would apply here.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's same as rice. You put it in the small baggie and boil with the over-salted dish. Starch will bind some of the salt.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thanks for the ideas! I know very little about smoked foods and didn't want to ruin it.
    My mother uses the potato trick for soups and sauces, so I can vouch for that one! If all else fails I guess I'll try to boil it.

I've actually been on a deviled egg kick, so maybe I'll try that on top tomorrow for breakfast. Thanks for all of the ideas, Leida!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i've not had smoked herring but kedgeree is made with smoked fish. the rice is a no no but you could prob work a recipe based on the general ingredients of smoked fish and hard boiled eggs. bit of curry powder. steamed riced cauliflower, sour cream etc.

with the salted muttonbirds we get here which are really salty, you can boil them and change the water a few times. so i guess you could do that and then do some kind of smoked fish soup with lots of broth and veges.

Thank you, seaweed! I had never heard of kedgeree before. It sounds really yummy!

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    What to do with herring?

You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by alg2435 View Post
    What to do with herring?

You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest.
    I'm sorry. It can't be done.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Coming back to this thread. Now it is I with a tin of smoked herring, and no ideas how to use it. I haven't found much except rice dishes or with bagels and cream cheese.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast