Thread: Bone broth - calories? page

faithy22 is offline Member

Bone broth - calories?

After being fully inspired by Paleobird's post on eating more fat, I've decided to count my calories and lower my protein/carb intake. I've never made bone broth before and have also decided to incorporate it into my diet. With that in mind, how do you guys calculate the number of calories in bone broth?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    This is from Livestrong. I was thinking I read 40 calories, that must be beef. This says chicken is more like 18.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I think this definitely depends on your water-to-bones ratio. A super-complicated and annoying way to do it if you really want to be exact is to weigh the bones before you boil them, then weigh the bones again after the broth is done. The difference in weight would be how much marrow/fat/cartilage/etc. has melted into the broth. Then find a Calorie-calculator online and figure out how many Calories that mass of fat is. That would be how many Calories are in the entire batch of broth (since water has no Calories).

But, if you want to get a general idea, the other comment is the way to go.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Yal see when I made mine, right or wrong, I ran it all through the blender. I didnt throw anything away. Talking chicken for mine. I also didnt have much skin or fat. These were just leftovers from some baked chickens.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I just find the closest approximation in any calorie-counter. Since I skim off the fat after it hardens in the fridge (and save it for other things), I consider my bone broth to have the calories of any fat-free broths out there. It might not be exactly the same, but I think it's close enough. Of course I have to ignore sodium content and whatever else since my broth has lots of gelatin and probably way more minerals and vitamins.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

faithy22 is offline Member
    Thanks everyone! Guess I'll just kinda wing it for now. It's not like I'm going to be drinking gallons of it everyday.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this. I was trying to figure it out last night too. I am trying to drink a cup a day. I feel better about it now.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't even count it. As for calories, I couldn't even begin to guess. Everybody makes theirs a little differently, and every batch is going to vary widely.

I make it, let it cool off and pour it into freezer trays and freeze it, extra goes into jars to thaw later to reload the trays. Might eat one or two cubes a day, toss them into my greens. The fat stays on top, frozen. I do simmer it down when making it, try to reduce the water content way down so it is more dense, easier to store, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html