Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need encouragement page 2

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    You need to tell your parents you have persistent stomach aches! Why wouldn't you??

<archer> is offline Junior Member
    I really appreciate the suggestions. Communities are so important.
    I agree that I need to tell my parents that my stomach hurts, but I don't want to sound like I'm whining and complaining. But, it will be brought up more seriously. Mom at least notices that I don't eat much becuase my stomach hurts. She gripes at me for eating nothing for breakfast or barely swallowing one egg. I'm sure there is some Gluten issues going on.
    I cook sometimes, but not as often as I'd like. And I do have a job, I teach swim lessons, so I could be buying food. Good idea!
    Thanks!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Here's the way to approach this:

At a non-meal time, sit down with your mom and tell her that you have noticed how your stomach feels after you eat certain foods. You might print out a copy of Mark's article and assert that you think it might be a gluten sensitivity, and as such, you'd like to try going gluten free for 30 days.

Assert that you are willing to purchase and cook your own foods, and that you'll keep track of it. Acknowledge that they work hard to provide for you -- food, cooking, education, clothing, etc -- and you don't want them to think that this means that they don't get to eat these things, just that you are not going to for a bit to see if it makes a difference.

usually, if you approach them in an adult-like way, they'll give you a shot at it.

ninjainshadows is offline Junior Member
    Archer my situation is very similar and I too am grateful to my parents, which sometimes makes me feel bad for asking them to get certain stuff. Over time however, I've tried explained Primal to them and the easiest thing I get them to do is buy more fruits and vegetables and less packaged CW foods. They still buy their Doritos, ice cream, etc. and I don't eat beef everyday, but what I usually do at meals where we are together like dinner is this: Say we are having fried chicken (I'm from the south) I usually ask my mom not to bread my chicken, and stuff like rolls, corn on the cob I will not eat. I will occasionally eat some legumes however. But if the majority of or all of the sides to a meal are not Primal suitable, I will break out the carrot sticks or saute' some peppers and onions in some Primal fats (just one example.) One thing is encourage your parents to mostly do meals like this with a main item (usually some animal for protein) and whatever sides instead of casseroles where it's all thrown together. I think part of being Primal is adapting to the environment and making the best from what you have. Ask them to buy more potatoes, bananas, etc. for primal carbs. Eat eggs for breakfast (there's so many ways to eat them that it should be a while before they get old. For quick breakfasts I like to put eggs in blender with fruit. Offer to cook a meal every now and then. (just take it easy to start so they aren't completely thrown aback by something really fatty.) It is encouraging to me to hear of someone else who is Primal and in their teens like me. You are the first so far (though I've just joined the forums recently however) Btw what I usually do to make sure I have enough protein especially on workout days is buy whey protein powder. But still try to get the majority of protein from animals. and I'm not saying I never have to eat pizza and stuff, but keep a positive outlook and make the best of your situation. Please don't give it up!

ninjainshadows is offline Junior Member
    And archer if its wheat/gluten intolerance, at the very least you could ask them to buy rice or something.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by <archer> View Post
    This small member of the Paleo community needs some encouragement and help.
    I have a little bit of a different story. I'm a high performing athlete (triathlon) and have been trying for almost a year now to follow Paleo/Primal guidelines. Here's the problem. I'm still in Highschool, living under my parents roof. So thats why I've been only trying to go Paleo, becuase I haven't got very far. It doesn't help when Mom buys cookies, icecream, etc. By the time I get done with school and workout, I have zero willpower left. It's like I have a willpower quota, and at that point in the day it just wears out. It's also so ingrained to me that I eat what I'm served, and unfortunately last night that was pizza, a meal that occurs at least every other week. We have pasta often as well. I ask her to not buy those things, and print out recepies of things I'd like to try--and even cook sometimes. But then Dad complains about there being "no food in the house" and "am I on a diet or something?!" (as an aside, their both fairly healthy. Healthy weight range, exercise semi regularyly, and generally happy) But becuase of my parents food choices, my stomach hurts all the time. All. The. Time. I don't want to be blaming them. I mean, they work everyday so that I can eat, be clothed, go to school... I'm grateful for them. But I don't know how to change them so I can change me.
    So, yes, I'm digging for encouragement and help. But this is a community, and this member is falling.

Have you told your mom that the food makes your stomach hurt?
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12