Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does fasting cure acne? page 2

ennaejay is offline Member
    This is only my $.02, but from what I've read the past few years, it seems to me that a healthy gut equals healthy skin. The more you focus on eating pure, clean foods, your skin will begin to reflect that. Fasting is a great way to give your gut a break, to "rest" and repair. I can only see benefits for you incorporating fasting into your regime.

It's possible you have problems with your digestion, that either bacterial or yeast overgrowths are causing the flare-ups. To my understanding, yeast overgrowth can occur when bacterial balance is out of check (or is it the other way around?) so a simple meat/veg/fat diet will probably be the most healing for you, when you break your fasts.

I'd stay away from chemicals and stuff designed to "cure" acne. It can only be cured from the inside out. Gut health will also improve your hormonal balance. I'm a female, but I have noticed incredible improvements in my emotions during "pms week" and I have had perfectly clear skin for months now. (I used to get a couple big zits right before my period, or regularly when I was eating SAD). It takes time and a lot of self-care with diet, lowering stress, getting good sleep, and in my experience, fasting and being on the SCD/GAPS diet with some additional restrictions is my answer for you.

Gut health equals skin health. Fasting improves gut health.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I had terrible acne on my chin and it took a good year of eating primal for it to clear up and dairy was not the cause. Fruit makes me break out so I suspect sugar is the cause for me. Probably different for everyone, though. You may just have to give primal eating time to do it's job and experiment a bit with eliminating problem groups such as nightshades, dairy, simple sugars. Do one at a time for 30 days and then re- introduce and see how it affects you.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennaejay View Post
    This is only my $.02, but from what I've read the past few years, it seems to me that a healthy gut equals healthy skin. The more you focus on eating pure, clean foods, your skin will begin to reflect that. Fasting is a great way to give your gut a break, to "rest" and repair. I can only see benefits for you incorporating fasting into your regime.

It's possible you have problems with your digestion, that either bacterial or yeast overgrowths are causing the flare-ups. To my understanding, yeast overgrowth can occur when bacterial balance is out of check (or is it the other way around?) so a simple meat/veg/fat diet will probably be the most healing for you, when you break your fasts.

I'd stay away from chemicals and stuff designed to "cure" acne. It can only be cured from the inside out. Gut health will also improve your hormonal balance. I'm a female, but I have noticed incredible improvements in my emotions during "pms week" and I have had perfectly clear skin for months now. (I used to get a couple big zits right before my period, or regularly when I was eating SAD). It takes time and a lot of self-care with diet, lowering stress, getting good sleep, and in my experience, fasting and being on the SCD/GAPS diet with some additional restrictions is my answer for you.

Gut health equals skin health. Fasting improves gut health.
    I agree... I here is a link about gut health and acne and eating sauerkraut before bed everynight...

The site is down for mainentance, but do a search on google for weston a price acne and it's the first link.

Chris Kresser is doing a series on healthy skin:
    http://chriskresser.com/nutrition-fo...hy-skin-part-1
    http://chriskresser.com/nutrition-fo...hy-skin-part-2

Hope this helps!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I've definitely noticed that my acne is related to sugar/grains. I don't have much problem with dairy.

I know you said you reduced soaps... so ok, I AM a crazy hippy now. About a month and a half ago I decided to stop using soaps, shampoos, or lotions of any chemical kind on my skin. Full stop, cold turkey.

Since then I have experienced the following:

Face: shrinking pores, eliminated dry patchy areas, blackheads reduced, no acne aside from PMS week, NO OIL! (i have been oily my whole life, my face is no longer oily and i no longer need to carry blotting paper)

Hair: NO OIL! It took about 2 weeks of feeling like a bit of a mess, but then smooth sailing from there. Also seen huge reduction in scalp acne. (Yes, I was gross)

Body: ALL my skin is smoother. I smell better. My body acne (gross again, sorry) is healing. My dry elbows and foot calluses have all but disappeared.

All I did was stop using soap, shampoo, lotion, and makeup. I still wear mascara to work and I used beeswax lipbalms and that is it.

Note: i DO shower once, usually twice a day. warm water first, scrub myself all over with just water (sometimes i use sea salt if i feel i want a little grit), massage my hair and scalp with the warm water. then i rinse myself for a long while in progressively cooler water, including my hair. I "wash" my face a couple times a day with water in the sink at work and home. I still wear deodorant (not anti-perspirant). i DO wash my hands after the bathroom and as my hands are the only things that get action with soap via that and lots of dishwashing, they are pretty dry.
    Last edited by qqemokitty; 09-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.

homunculus is offline Member
    I think sugar and grains were my problem! Still had acne when I was a grain-free vegan so dairy wasn't the culprit for me.
    Even just fruit seems to be an issue for me
    Stopped using any commercial skin-care products, that seemed to help. Only use natural stuff now like... putting food on my face haha
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sorry you're still struggling with this!

Everybody is different. I'd suggest taking about ten days and eating nothing but animal and plant and see if your acne goes away. For most, I really think it's dairy, bad oils, or low vitamin D. For some, even eggs can be a problem. But you've already eliminated all those, it seems!

Seriously invest in making your own tallow from grass-fed cows. If there's ONE source of fat besides coconut oil that I can virtually guarantee has no worsening effect for acne, it's tallow.

Eating once a day definitely keeps my skin clearer than otherwise, but I haven't controlled the variables and tried different macros. I almost always eat 60% to 80% fat, 35% to 15% protein, and 5% carbs, except on the occasional carb-up period or family dinner, etc.

I drink little alcohol at all. Just kombucha, which has only traces of alcohol. I definitely have clearer skin when I OD on green tea.

Pics might help. Is this cystic acne? What type of acne do you have?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    No.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Sorry you're still struggling with this!

I drink little alcohol at all. Just kombucha, which has only traces of alcohol. I definitely have clearer skin when I OD on green tea.

Pics might help. Is this cystic acne? What type of acne do you have?
    I'm not struggling, it's just me being obsessive. My skin looks great today, it's just tiny bumps & die-offs.
    It's like a puzzle to me, and I've got to figure out the reason

I'm trying to bulk up so lately I've been eating a lot of white potatoes and fruit (lots of grapes too!)
    When I come to think of it I just suspect that more than one insulin jump a day is too much for me to handle
    I just have to moderate.

Beer might be the problem also. I do drink about 1-2 beers once a week. Without it I'm 100% primal.
    It's difficult to give up on it because it's so connected to my social life.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 09-06-2012 at 02:55 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Oh, good to hear it's getting better! It takes time.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    I'm trying to bulk up so lately I've been eating a lot of white potatoes
    I'm no expert on bulking up, but have you considered switching from white potatoes to sweet potatoes? From what I understand, the nutrient profile is much better, they're out of the nightshade family, and you'll still get all the carbs you need from them.

Just a thought!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast