Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays food intake..Is this righ? Looking for help page

Bosstycoon is offline Senior Member

Todays food intake..Is this righ? Looking for help

Primal Fuel
    Ok so here is a breakdown of todays food intake...Have been paleo for awhile and this usually mirrors my food...besides i usually eat breakfast in the am..Does this look right? tonight i ate a banana because i am going to play hockey.

thanks-Mike
    ps sorry for not being best chart i copied and past from my diet tracker

Name Protein(g) Carb(g) Fat(g) Sat Fat(g)

Total 200.41 170.43 60.95 10.95

breakfast
    Grapefruit, White 1.22 14.89 0.18 0.02
    Whey Protein 26.58 3.1 0.44 0.22

preworkout meal/hunger from lack of breakfast meal(usually doesnt occur)

Whey Protein 22.78 2.66 0.38 0.19
    Pepper, Bell or Sweet, Green 0.32 1.73 0.06 0.02
    Tomatoes, Red 0.66 2.9 0.15 0.02

Lunch

TRIFOGLIO Oil, Olive, Extra Virgin, Import 0 0 14 2
    Spinach, Leaf, Frozen, Boiled, Drained 19.05 22.8 4.13 0.75
    FOSTER FARMS Chicken, Breast, Strips, Grilled 41.17 4.33 3.25 1.08
    Tomatoes, Red 0.27 1.21 0.06 0.01
    Olives, Black, Ripe, Canned 0.26 1.93 3.29 0.44
    Pepper, Jalapeno 0.2 1.46 0.08 0.02
    Avocado, California 1.31 5.78 10.3 1.42

Dinner

TRIFOGLIO Oil, Olive, Extra Virgin, Import 0 0 14 2
    FOSTER FARMS Chicken, Breast, Strips, Grilled 41.17 4.33 3.25 1.08
    Spinach, Leaf, Frozen, Boiled, Drained 15.24 18.24 3.31 0.6
    Bacon, Beef, Lean, Cooked 7.46 0.66 0.47 0.23
    Banana 1.29 26.95 0.39 0.13
    Tomatoes, Red 1.08 4.78 0.25 0.03
    Cauliflower, Chopped 20.35 52.68 2.97 0.68
    Started Primal November 20, 2011
    Slipped from Christmas-New Years
    January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
    Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

carlh is offline Senior Member
    It looks pretty reasonable, if a bit boring...unless you're leaving out fun spices and whatnot. But it'd help people if you posted your goals, too. I don't see anything that's not Primal, so you're fine there...but I can't help but always think there must be some more fun way to add protein than just sitting around eating whey. There's 12.6g of protein in one chicken egg. You could have two lightly hard-boiled chicken eggs and get 25.2g of protein PLUS all the other awesome goodness that's in the eggs.

If you really want to drill down to specifics, Foster Farms says on their website that their chicken is rather proudly corn fed. So it's definitely not ideal. But free range stuff gets expensive quick.
    Last edited by carlh; 09-05-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Moll is offline Member
    Carlh - where are you getting that info on the amount of protein in an egg? The largest number I've ever seen is about 8 grams in one jumbo egg. Otherwise, everything I can find says around 5-6 grams of protein per egg.

Hi Bosstycoon/Mike,

WARNING: THIS POST GOT EXTREMELY LONG AND MATHEMATICAL. If you're not into that, you probably won't find this very helpful - sorry! A more simple response is that your ratios seem a bit skewed if you're going with Mark's principle of high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. I aim for 60% of cals from fat, 25% from protein, and 15% from carbs. Anyhow, if you want the math, read on at your own risk lol.

I'm relatively new here, but from what I understand, the starting point is to figure out your protein needs based on your lean body mass. If you know your total fat % that makes it easy to figure out - if not, there are ways to measure it that aren't entirely convenient (underwater, calipers, hand grips, scales) because most of them require purchasing something. I have the hand grips, and they've been pretty good for me. Once you have your body fat percentage, you can subtract that from 100 to get your lean body mass percentage. Multiply that number (for example, 80%=.8) by your body weight and that number is your pounds of lean body mass. You can have a range of .7-1 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass - using the number 1 gives you an easy estimation for your max amount of protein.

Geez this is getting mathy. The reason I'm giving you a LONG WINDED answer (trying to be concise!!!) is that when you're actually tracking macronutrients/calories, the only thing you can really go by is your own body composition.

According to Mark (from his book), the "ideal" nutrient breakdown is high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. Have you seen his carb curve diagram? Here's a link. The Primal Blueprint Diagrams | Mark's Daily Apple

So, back to the math. Once you figure out your grams of protein per day (lean body mass) you need to figure out how that fits into your daily allotment of calories. There are online calculators (which is helpful if you don't actually know your lean body mass - it asks for your weight, height, age, and activity level), which tend to be fairly accurate unless you're extremely active, or overweight. If you want to be really precise, here's the Katch-McArdle formula. I'm copying this formula example from Tom Venuto's book, "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" which is not primal, but seriously detailed in macro nutrient and just general info.

BMR (base metabolic rate) (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)
    Example:
    You are male
    You weigh 172 lbs (78 kilos)
    Your body fat percentage is 14% (24.1 lbs fat, 147.9 lbs lean)
    Your lean mass is 147.9 lbs (67.2 kilos)
    Your BMR = 370 + (21.6 X 67.2) = 1821 calories
    To determine TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - how many calories you need per day for weight maintenance) from BMR, you simply multiply BMR by the activity factor:
    Continuing with the previous example:
    Your BMR is 1821
    Your activity level is moderately active (you work out 3-4 times per week)
    Your activity factor is 1.55 (he has a chart in the book of different numbers that correspond with activity levels)
    Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) = 1.55 X 1821 = 2822 calories

SO I'm going to give you an easy example. (Easy because I'm going to use a 100 lb person.)
    Mr. X weighs 100 lbs.
    His body fat % is 20.
    His lean body mass is 80%
    Multiplying his lean body mass by his weight (.8*100) gives you 80 - this is the grams of protein he needs per day.
    Now unfortunately we have to convert his weight to kilos for the next formula.
    BMR (base metabolic rate) (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 36.3) - 36.3 is 80 pounds converted to kilos
    BMR = 1154
    Mr. X is sedentary, so to get his TDEE we multiply his BMR by 1.2.
    1154*1.2 = 1385

Mr X needs 1385 calories per day to maintain his weight.
    He needs approximately 80 grams of protein.
    One gram of protein is 4 calories.
    320 calories should come from protein.
    You can base your carbs on Mark's carb curve. Say you want to REALLY cut carbs down to 50 grams per day.
    One gram of carbs is 4 calories.
    200 calories should come from carbs.
    So subtracting 320 cals from protein, and 200 cals from carbs, Mr. X has 865 calories remaining, which should come from fat.
    One gram of fat is 9 calories.
    865 cals divided by 9 = 96 (grams of fat).

Mr. X needs 80 grams of protein, 96 grams of fat, and 50 grams of carbs per day to maintain his weight.

For weight loss, you'd simply reduce the amount of calories by a couple hundred, or get a deficit through more exercise.

So there's a completely EXHAUSTIVE formula that you can use to calculate daily requirements/macro nutrient breakdown.

It's kind of the opposite of the goal for primal (DON'T COUNT!), but for me, I need to know that I'm at least on the right track and have a sense of what I need and where it needs to come from. Once I figure it out, I'm happy to relax and stop counting every calorie!

Hope at least some of this was helpful!!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, whey protein isn't paleo. It's not real food. Just saying.

Also, Foster Farms chicken strips? Save some money and buy a chicken or a package of thighs or breasts and cut it into strips yourself. And if that stuff is flavored or soaked in brine, you are getting MSG. MSG isn't good for you.

Also, I know you just copied your diet tracker, but I hope you don't worry too much about the saturated fat total. All you need to do is balance your fats so that you get some of all kinds and plenty of O3 fats. Balancing your fats will help with inflammation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

phigment is offline Senior Member
    moll u must be a math teacher. :P

I got my number from Wikipedia. So. YMMV.

Chicken egg whole, hard-boiled:

Carbohydrates 1.12 g
    Fat 10.6 g
    Protein 12.6 g
    ABout halfway down this page on the right: Egg (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I got my number from Wikipedia. So. YMMV.

ABout halfway down this page on the right: Egg (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That data is for 100g, which is more than one egg.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Oh dang, you are totally right. The tiny type at the bottom of the chart says "One large egg is 50 grams."

So, four eggs would get you 25.2g of protein, plus all the other goodness in there.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Oh dang, you are totally right. The tiny type at the bottom of the chart says "One large egg is 50 grams."

So, four eggs would get you 25.2g of protein, plus all the other goodness in there.

I usually estimate at 6g per egg, so that sounds about right. Mmmmm...eggs. I rarely eat fewer than four at one go.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    how is whey protein not primal but diary is....isn't whey just the another part of milk? or is milk/cheese/diary not paleo?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast