Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian Guy dies dropping bench press. page 3

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    so i went back and watched it again (i know...) and in fact, he did have his thumbs wrapped. so now i'm blaming the spotters entirely. particularly the guy in red. un-freaking-real
    I was wondering how long it wouls take somebody to notice that.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    I was wondering how long it wouls take somebody to notice that.
    Ummm....

That's why humans have thumbs. This may be tragic but he sacrificed his own safety with his grip and therefore it was his own fault.

Spotters are there for if you lack the strength to get the bar back up. He really was just asking for it with that grip so it's not their fault at all.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Ummm....
    Yeah, clearly I meant I was wondering how long it would take somebody to notice my mistake. Duh.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

I don't want to watch the video - what did the spotters do wrong or what should they have done that they didn't? And how much weight was this guy lifting? How tragic.
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    one of the spotters was just standing around looking everywhere but they guy he was supposed to keep an eye on

it was nothing gory, outwardly. he dropped the bar and it fell on him, nearly touched his spine then bounded off and he flew up like his ass was on fire

the description on the vid said he later died at the hospital and that the bar had broken ribs and tore his diaphragm
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    it was nothing gory, outwardly.
    CHESTS SHOULD NOT BEND THAT WAY.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    his chest DIDN'T bend that way, the bar bent it for him
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    This is obviously a tragic accident. Grip was fine, I don't even blame the spotters... "the best spotter in the world can't react quickly enough to save you from a dropped bar" - Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    This is obviously a tragic accident. Grip was fine, I don't even blame the spotters... "the best spotter in the world can't react quickly enough to save you from a dropped bar" - Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength
    Agreed. Why are we looking to blame someone. This was just a sad and tragic accident. The job of the spotters is to help you re-rack or if you get stuck, not to catch a dropped bar.

Gives me the heeby jeebies just thinking about it.

--Me

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, clearly I meant I was wondering how long it would take somebody to notice my mistake. Duh.
    My bad. I was being an ass. Please accept my apology.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast