Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian Guy dies dropping bench press. page 2

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Unfortunately that grip is used a lot in power-lifting because there is no stress on the joint between the thumb and finger. I have seen guys dump it like that before, but not that much weight.
    I still see it as the spotter's fault, partially. One of the most important things you do as a spotter is keep the lifter safe, regardless of their position/setup/grip. If one of them had a problem with the grip (which they don't) they should have said something. If this was a sanctioned competition in the U.S. or Canada (only two where I know the rules) the spotters are required to stop a lift before it starts if there is any question about setup.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    when someone asks me what it looks like for someone to have their thumb up their ass, i can say 'that guy in the red shirt'
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    He had a closed grip as opposed to the open grip. It just came out.

An attachment for each side of the bench's uprights would be similar to doing bench press in a power rack which is a safer, more secure way of spotting for the bench press which can help reduce the human element of f*ck uppery. 2 regular spotters and 2 equipment guys. Done.

homunculus is offline Member
    wow that was horrible
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Whyyyy did I watch that. Whyyyy.

you are a glutton for the macabre as am i
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Spotters are there for if you lack the strength to get the bar back up. He really was just asking for it with that grip so it's not their fault at all.
    Seriously? The guy effing died and you're going to say "he [asked] for it" because of his grip?
    Also, I can't tell from the video how he was gripping it -- what was he doing?
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

he had his thumb wrapped around the bar, it was just too heavy for him so it slipped right out of his hands
    beautiful
    yeah you are

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    so i went back and watched it again (i know...) and in fact, he did have his thumbs wrapped. so now i'm blaming the spotters entirely. particularly the guy in red. un-freaking-real

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Can't believe what it does to his chest, it's amazing that he even got up afterwards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast