Thread: Carbs for weight gain page

abbsman is offline Junior Member

Carbs for weight gain

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys,

I have been eating primal for quite a while now and am loving it!

I had a question about weight gain or better yet avoiding weight loss

I am about 6 foot 2 and 148lbs and i really can't afford to lose more weight (not the worst problem hah!)

My question is what are the best carbs to eat outside of fruits and vegetable to help gain weight?

Some things i have tried/researched that i have found to be pretty neutral are

Wild/Brown Rice
    Quinoa
    Rolled Oats

Let me know what your thoughts are on gaining weight, maybe their are some other alternatives.

Thanks,

Nick

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    brown rice isn't primal. Oats...I don't know but I thought they were pretty nutritionless. want to gain weight? CHEESE! I was once 6 2 and 128 lbs. now I'm 155 with quite some added muscle. thanks to cheese, and white rice, and lot more, but mainly cheese. cheese is pretty easy to find raw as well.
    Billie trips balls

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes and white potatoes are great sources. Also true yams and cassava (tapioca) are good. These are all tubers so they are certainly Primal and can help you pack in some carbs if you feel like you need to. Also, unless you are soaking/sprouting your brown and wild rice, white rice is actually preferable since it is lower in phytates and other antinutrients.

I personally had better luck putting on lean mass by overeating carbs and lean protein on workout days versus overeating on fat and protein. Check out Leangains for more info on this approach.

Here are some helpful posts:
    Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

All that being said, if you just need to add weight and not specifically lean mass, adding overall calories is the most important thing; marcos matter less if you don't have a more specific goal. And fat is more calorie-dense than carbs. It can take a while to get used to eating more fat when switching to Primal if your previous diet was very low in fat. I guess I say that because you have to find what works for you. Try eating more of the carbs listed above. If that doesn't work, try ramping up your fat intake. And lifting some heavy weights never hurt either! (if you're not already)

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Yes lifting heavy will minimize fat gain while gaining weight and it will make you hungry
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    brown rice isn't primal. Oats...I don't know but I thought they were pretty nutritionless. want to gain weight? CHEESE! I was once 6 2 and 128 lbs. now I'm 155 with quite some added muscle. thanks to cheese, and white rice, and lot more, but mainly cheese. cheese is pretty easy to find raw as well.
    Thanks for the tip. I am lactose intolerant however i have no problem with cheddar cheese or parmesean cheese, so i will try to add those in.

Also i am surprised that white rice is better than brown rice, and i actually prefer the taste better. It acts more like a tofu absorbing flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Sweet potatoes and white potatoes are great sources. Also true yams and cassava (tapioca) are good. These are all tubers so they are certainly Primal and can help you pack in some carbs if you feel like you need to. Also, unless you are soaking/sprouting your brown and wild rice, white rice is actually preferable since it is lower in phytates and other antinutrients.

I personally had better luck putting on lean mass by overeating carbs and lean protein on workout days versus overeating on fat and protein. Check out Leangains for more info on this approach.

Here are some helpful posts:
    Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

All that being said, if you just need to add weight and not specifically lean mass, adding overall calories is the most important thing; marcos matter less if you don't have a more specific goal. And fat is more calorie-dense than carbs. It can take a while to get used to eating more fat when switching to Primal if your previous diet was very low in fat. I guess I say that because you have to find what works for you. Try eating more of the carbs listed above. If that doesn't work, try ramping up your fat intake. And lifting some heavy weights never hurt either! (if you're not already)
    Awesome post, i found the potato and rice blogs super informative.

I am going to try my luck with the white rice and tubers along with piling on some Olive Oil and Organic Butter.

Thanks

Nick