Hmm. I'm reconsidering my bedtime routine, as I've noticed an oddity. In the past I usually tried to go to bed after reading by firelight in order to build up melatonin. Fire supposedly emits little to no blue light, which would otherwise stimulate wakeful hormones.

However, I've noticed that when I wear orange safety glasses and watch videos on my Kindle Fire I get tired a lot faster and sleep a lot better. On my last day off when I tried reading by firelight I ended staying up super late (2AM), with no signs of melatonin building up, even though I was theoretically exposed to less blue light from the flame than I was from the safety glasses + Kindle Fire.

It could be because watching videos is a passive activity while reading is mentally stimulating, but could it also be the case that by wearing the safety glasses less blue light is hitting my eyes than from flame? Perhaps the flame is emitting *just* enough blue light to stimulate me?

Tricky question to tackle. I tried experimenting last night by wearing the glasses and then reading by flame, but the color was too distorted for me to do it comfortably, so I gave up and watched videos, got sufficiently tired, slept, and woke up super early and nicely refreshed.

This is particularly odd because various nights contrast greatly in prior blue-light exposure. On that day off mentioned, I had been reading by flame for two to three hours to no avail. On the days I watch the videos, I get home from my restaurant job at 1 or 2AM, and need only a half-hour or hour of the glasses to get tired. Plus, I have an easier time waking after a night with the glasses than with the flame.

What say you? I wish it weren't so, because I hate those glasses, but if it is then I just might resort to wearing them instead. However, could it be possible that the burn material for the flame matters in what light spectrum it will ultimately emit? Right now I'm using a paraffin oil lamp.