Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actor/Vegetarian Michael Clarke Duncan Dead of Heart Attack page

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member

Actor/Vegetarian Michael Clarke Duncan Dead of Heart Attack

Primal Fuel
    Actor turned vegetarian Michael Clarke Duncan died of a heart attack today. Once again and unfortunately this is another example of why forgoing meat and veggies for a vegetarian only lifestyle is not good for ya.

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan dead at 54 | Entertainment | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    This has already been beat to death in other threads in the forums. Bottom line: He wasn't a vegetarian his whole life; plenty of other crap (huge portions of high-carb high-sugar high-salt foods in general - veg or not; being large (primal, veg, or otherwise) having a toll in general, especially after so many years; etc.).

Just a lack of healthy-living. Shame.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Sorry I didn't know ppl had already discussed him and his eating/lifestyle specifically on here. I am still a new guy to the forum.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokdaddy View Post
    Sorry I didn't know ppl had already discussed him and his eating/lifestyle specifically on here. I am still a new guy to the forum.
    Why should you know? I'm not new and I didn't know the man had been discussed before. I've still no idea who he is.

So the man apparently said:

"I cleared out my refrigerator, about $5,000 worth of meat," he said. "I'm a lot healthier than I was when I was eating meat."
    Well, yeah, it was a foolish comment. And evidently throwing out $5000 worth of food -- isn't it nice that some people can afford to be so cavalier with resources? -- did not, in fact, make him "a lot healthier". A profligate and a fool.

However, I suppose something like this is more far-reaching and interesting in its implications than an individual case:

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease

@ Lewis if you saw the movie The Green Mile he was John Coffey. yeah and $5,000 worth of meats? I am sure it was "high end" stuff too. If I had $5,000 to devote to just meats you bet they would be some seriously grass fed fatties! But cuz I just love seafood too much I would split the five grand in half and buy $2,500 in wild caught salmon, shelfish, etc. And five grand would buy a whole crap load of orgainc veggies to go along with my expensive meats and fish!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    He's the black guy from the scorpion king.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokdaddy View Post
    Actor turned vegetarian Michael Clarke Duncan died of a heart attack today. Once again and unfortunately this is another example of why forgoing meat and veggies for a vegetarian only lifestyle is not good for ya.

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan dead at 54 | Entertainment | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
    What a load of rubbish. He had onlybeen vegetarian a few years.
    I honestly can't stand what almost seems like gloating coming from people when someone on a different diet passes away. There was a high fat paleo dieter that had a heart attack and died a few months ago and general sentiment among some was "yep, that's what happens when you eat that diet".

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    What a load of rubbish. He had onlybeen vegetarian a few years.
    I honestly can't stand what almost seems like gloating coming from people when someone on a different diet passes away. There was a high fat paleo dieter that had a heart attack and died a few months ago and general sentiment among some was "yep, that's what happens when you eat that diet".
    Well said. I find this type of thread distasteful and disrespectful. The fact that he was a vegetarian for three years is neither proof nor evidence that vegetarianism is bad for you. There could be all sorts of heart complications that he and his doctor were completely unaware of, and no amount of grass-fed beef was going to cure that. Meat eaters die of heart attacks too.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    Well said. I find this type of thread distasteful and disrespectful. The fact that he was a vegetarian for three years is neither proof nor evidence that vegetarianism is bad for you. There could be all sorts of heart complications that he and his doctor were completely unaware of, and no amount of grass-fed beef was going to cure that. Meat eaters die of heart attacks too.
    And another agree here.

Diet is not a sole factor in determining cardiovascular health. All sorts of medications, genetics, and other lifestyle choices play huge roles. And sometimes, just sometimes, people die.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    Well said. I find this type of thread distasteful and disrespectful.
    Indeed. We had the same sort of vultures picking over the bones thread after Steve Jobs died. These are real people with loved ones who are grieving. Let's all try to have a little class and let them rest in peace. Please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast