Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Actor/Vegetarian Michael Clarke Duncan Dead of Heart Attack page 2

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    $5k of meat in his fridge?

Wow.

As for the whole point of this thread, the fact that Mr. Duncan is gone saddens me. He was amazing in The Green Mile. Absolutely amazing.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member
    Well I guess you can all call me a "vulture" then for my comments. No I was not "picking over MCD's bones" when I made the comment. The point I was making was that being afraid to eat meat/fat and adopting a perceived "healthier" lifestyle won't protect you from the dreaded sick ticker. No I wasn't making fun of his death at all. Quit reading into what I said. I mostly lurk on MDA and have for about six months. In that time I have read a lot of comments from some of you that seem a bit "snobbish" and some of you have made some, how can I say "interesting" comments about people still eating SAD. So lets not cast stones here. The article clearly says he was a vegetarian and threw out what I assume was enough meat to feed several families in need. Guess I'll go back to lurking.

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    There was a high fat paleo dieter that had a heart attack and died a few months ago and general sentiment among some was "yep, that's what happens when you eat that diet".
    Really? Who?

Penady is offline Senior Member
    This is very sad. He was a gentle giant. Great actor. Loved him in The Green Mile. Thoughts and prayers to his loved ones.

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Really? Who?
    “Only the Good Die Young” Safe & Effective Crohn's Disease Treatment
    You had the same kind of repulsive "that's what can happen when you follow that type of diet" snickering from people on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokdaddy View Post
    Well I guess you can all call me a "vulture" then for my comments. No I was not "picking over MCD's bones" when I made the comment. The point I was making was that being afraid to eat meat/fat and adopting a perceived "healthier" lifestyle won't protect you from the dreaded sick ticker. No I wasn't making fun of his death at all. Quit reading into what I said. I mostly lurk on MDA and have for about six months. In that time I have read a lot of comments from some of you that seem a bit "snobbish" and some of you have made some, how can I say "interesting" comments about people still eating SAD. So lets not cast stones here. The article clearly says he was a vegetarian and threw out what I assume was enough meat to feed several families in need. Guess I'll go back to lurking.
    You said that this is an example of why vegetarianism is not good for you. Which was a ridiculous statement.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokdaddy View Post
    Right. Because having respect for a person's accomplishments and talents in life and for the people who mourn him in death is so "snobbish" as opposed to criticizing his diet.

If you want to have a thread about the pros/cons of vegetarian vs Primal diets, great. We can all cite studies and statistics and have a grand time. But you have to remember that when you make it all about one individual, that is a human life, a person. If treating that person with respect makes me snobbish in your book, so be it.

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Right. Because having respect for a person's accomplishments and talents in life and for the people who mourn him in death is so "snobbish" as opposed to criticizing his diet.

If you want to have a thread about the pros/cons of vegetarian vs Primal diets, great. We can all cite studies and statistics and have a grand time. But you have to remember that when you make it all about one individual, that is a human life, a person. If treating that person with respect makes me snobbish in your book, so be it.
    Got it wrong again Paleobird. I mention nothing about his accomplishments in life. As a matter of fact I like his work and was very shocked he died so young. Please tell me where I said anything of his acting skills or how horrible he was as a person? To add to this I was even more surprised he was in his mid 50's as I thought he looked great. What I was speaking of was my attempt at saying vegetarianism (sp) was not the end all be all as often touted as was using his cause of death, a heart attack, as an example that people who shun meat are susceptible to ailments so often associated/linked to heavy meat eaters. Not specifically MCD. Nothing more. As far as my comment about "snobs" I was stating that folks on here make comments that others can perceive as snobbish all the time (the NUMEROUS complaints and rants about CW ppl)but then criticize others as soon as you feel as though someone posted a comment that iyo is "disrespectful". Not once did I mention that he was a terrible actor nor did I say specifically that he somehow deserved his fate or belittled the agony his family and friends feel at this moment. I simply gave my opinion on why vegetarianism (sp.) and dying young of a heart attack, is not all that it is shoved down our throats to be. How you got that I was "disrespectful of his accomplishments and talents in life" and to "the people who mourn him" IDK. And just in case you still didn't get it I was NOT poking fun at MCD, or his grieving family or his talents and accomplishments as you seem to assumed, but that even vegetarians can suffer the same demise as ppl who eat SAD. So if I think people who criticize/rant/post about others for their food choices then immediately knock someone else for doing the same thing are snobs then so be it. If the shoe fits....
    All time high weight 262 lbs
    Primal since Spring 2012
    Start PB Weight: 240 lbs ish
    Current Weight: 220lbs ish
    Goal Weight:190-200 lbs
    All on a 6ft. 1/2 inch frame.

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

I love this way of eating and hope to be able to help others.

Paleobird Guest
    I didn't say you were running his talents and accomplishments down just that those things should be the focus of a positive respectful farewell, not running down his diet.
    The case could easily be made by a vegetarian that his eating meat all those years was the cause of his demise, or conversely by you saying that vegetarianism was somehow to blame for it. Neither is the case. The reality is we don't know and it's not important now.

The same thing happened after Steve Jobs died. People saying he brought it on himself by being a fruitarian years ago. Give the guy a break already. He's dead. Celebrate the positive things he brought to this world.

Valarauko is offline Senior Member

Sadly ironic.

Vultures? this thread is very tame, don't venture to any bodybuilding forums........
    Vegetarianism is the last thing on the list of what afflicted MCD and his demise.
    Regardless of his views later in life - good actor, enjoyed his movies. Peace Out. MCD
    Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I was sad to hear that he died. He seems like a really sweet guy.

I find his body comp/size to be unhealthy and unattractive. There are many people who strive daily to accomplish the mass that this man has, like it's a good thing.

It's not. It doesn't matter if it's fat and/or muscle. Too much weight and mass doesn't do a body good. Heart strain can't be cured with lettuce or ribeyes.

Your body is only meant to be so big. Just because you CAN get a massive amount of muscle on your frame, doesn't mean you SHOULD. You're a human being, not half elephant or ox.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast