Thread: Primal and Bug-Attraction page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Primal and Bug-Attraction

Primal Fuel
    My entire life has been a battle against mosquitoes. Not only have I always been the first, most frequently, and/or only person in a group to get bitten, my bites would swell up as big as the palm of my hand (sometimes larger!). While putting calamine lotion on my 20+ new mosquito bites as a kid, my mother would tell me that the damned things loved me because I was "so sweet". Bah!

Fast-forward to this past weekend. Celebrated 2 full months of roughly 80-85% primal living, 3 weeks of which were in the 21-Day Sugar Detox. I went camping with my boyfriend, who has known for the 9 years we've been together that I'd be attacked mercilessly by mosquitoes during our trip. To make matters worse, there was a lake at the campgrounds, as well as a number of marshes and low-lying river beds.

However, something amazing happened.

I got one bite on my shoulder. That's it. It swelled a bit, but maybe the size of my thumbprint. When hiking, my boyfriend was being swarmed by gnats and mosquitoes (though he wasn't bitten) while I had no such issues. This is an absolutely shocking thing for me, for as recently as three months ago I got 15 mosquito bites on just my legs in less than 20 minutes, causing me to hug the citronella candle the rest of the night (which didn't entirely help).

Has anybody else experienced a difference in susceptibility to insect bites or insect attraction since beginning a primal/paleo/etc. lifestyle?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Yes, thoughts on this have been around for quite some time.

It seems possible that on a "conventional" diet there's more sugar in one's sweat, and that the insects are going for that.

I think William Duffy was saying that quite a while ago, but I've yet to get around to reading his little book on sugar. Short enough and cheap to acquire, though:

Amazon.com: Used and New: Sugar Blues

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I read on WebMD that mosquito attraction has a lot to do with the level of cholesterol on one's skin (a high amount on the skin doesn't mean "high cholesterol", it just means you process it efficiently).

My mom is one of those people who gets 20 bites when she's outside for ten minutes. She already understands this WOE and just fumbles every time she tries to implement it... but she might give it a real go to get rid of the bugs haha.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    I read on WebMD that mosquito attraction has a lot to do with the level of cholesterol on one's skin (a high amount on the skin doesn't mean "high cholesterol", it just means you process it efficiently).
    This is very interesting to me, as I have had high total cholesterol my entire life. (My first blood work was done at age 7 and I had a total count of over 300.) Both of my parents have high cholesterol and my father has been on Lipitor (on and off, really) for about a decade, so conventional doctors have always told me that I'll end up like them and need to be put on statins in the future. Despite my ratios and triglycerides being ideal (though my LDL is a bit borderline), I wonder if my total cholesterol has decreased since being primal, and if this effects mosquitoes' attraction to me.

On a similar note, a vegan friend of mine told me that if I were vegan, I wouldn't get mosquito bites because I'd be eating less cholesterol. Though her point isn't true, I'm curious if the general gist of it holds water...
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have noticed this. I did a backpack trip in the Winds and while I was bitten by mosquitoes, there were very few welts and they vanished within about a day with very minimal itching. On Sunday I went for a hike in the mountains above Santa Barbara and at least two groups of people complained to me about all the flies and how horrible they were. I never noticed a single fly. Usually they have quite a knack of flying into my eyes or ears.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    This is my experince too. I like all these little 'pluses'.