Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type I diabetes page

misathemeb is offline Member

Exclamation Type I diabetes

Primal Fuel
    I came upon this site last fall 2009 in order to free myself from chronic cardio, carb crashes and to lose a little vanity weight brought on by countless miles & carbo loading. PB helped me do that and more, I love what it's done for my lifestyle and my body! Little did I know that it would change my life forever...

My non primal hubby was just diagnosed at age 24 with Type I diabetes (I happen to be a research scientist studying that very thing...cosmos aligned no? and well...I'm devastated. However, the plus side is that hubby was a pretty healthy eater before but now needs to lower carb portions to maintain better control of his blood glucose. I do know that tight control of blood glucose (along with genetic factors) are crucial for reducing complications/increasing lifespan. I will be primarily managing meals because I do not feel that insulin should be used as a crutch to compensate for "that extra slice of cake." We both want to keep the daily insulin fairly low for as long as possible until the disease progresses where more insulin would be needed. I believe that what we do now makes a difference in the long run and he is willing to go at this with all we have since we're so young!

He will be starting insulin therapy soon (he's in the honeymoon phase and some of his beta cells are still functioning) and I'm just wondering if there are any TYPE I diabetics here managing through PB or if Mark has anything to say about this. (I found plenty of stuff on Type II but no so much on I here...to be honest even the internet search engines are biased towards type II). Any info is appreciated. thank you so much-melissa

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I've been Type 1 for 23 years.

I just created a group here for T1 and T2 diabetics. Feel free to join and ask me as many questions as you want. I wish I'd had someone to ask (other than the high carb Docs) when I was younger.

chowza is offline Member
    My fiancee has Type 1 and started eating primally not long after I did, about 9 months ago. We were both cautious about how it might affect her, but as you might expect, it's been great, and her insulin needs have been drastically reduced. She's always been very active and done a good job of controlling her blood glucose, but she's seen many of the benefits even we 'regular' folk have experienced from PB (no more post-carby lunch slump!).

So although I don't have diabetes myself, I'm happy to chime in and answer questions, too.

There was also a short thread on this topic last summer that might be helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ype-1-diabetes
    Last edited by chowza; 04-01-2010 at 11:17 AM.

can you point me in the direction to join the group? is it in a sub forum? I want to be as much of a help as I can to my husband and supportive. It's just funny that I know so much about the disease itself (pathology/complications) yet so very little about proper management! Knowledge is power so I'm sure I will have plenty of questions once he starts playing with the insulin. Thanks!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    This link should take you to the group:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum....php?groupid=3

Failing that, click on the community tab on the black strip near the top of the forum. Click on groups, and you should see the Primal diabetic group.

My PM box is always open too.

ChrisJ is offline Member
    I highly recommend you search for work by Kwasniewski if you are not familiar with it. He is know for successfully treating type 1 diabetes with diet.
    I quick search of my history dug up this page among many where I first saw mention of his work.
    http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...-and-diet.html

My girlfriend was diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 11 and is now 24. I am hoping that by moving to a low carb diet she might be able to reduce her insulin use considerably, and have done quite a lot of reading on the topic.

Your husband could well live very healthily if you work the diet right. I think the idea if caught early enough, is to reduce carb intake very very low, and only provide enough insulin to cover glucose generated from protein, which can preserve pancreatic function. I'm no expert, but I'd love to talk more with you about this, as it's an issue close to my heart.

chris...thank you so much for that post. it makes perfect sense. my research is type I complications and we look at things like elevated inflammatory cytokines IL-6 and TNF-a. i just want to inform myself as much as possible in terms of management for my husbands sake. it doesn't matter how much i know about the complications of the disease itself if i don't know how to help him treat this. i truly believe that if he can get away with only using a low dose of insulin daily that in the long term he will be healthier and live a very long happy life!

ChrisJ is offline Member
    Haha, I'm impressed it made any sense at all, as I wrote it at 4.30am.

I highly recommend that your husband drops to very low carb as soon as possible, reserving carbohydrate for treating hypoglycemia only - which should be very rare if he does this right. If you can contact Kwasniewski at all, or find out what diet he recommends to his patients, that should give you a place to start. Your hubby should be in a constant state of ketosis, which scares most type 1 diabetics, but it is completely different to ketoacidosis.

Also, if he does become insulin dependant at all, try to get him on a pump. It allows a much more steady level of insulin than a syringe, as well as many other benefits. Best to start straight away with the best management. I've added you as a friend - feel free to get in touch if there's anything you want to talk about - or if you find any good resources!

DebFM is offline Senior Member
    Hey Misathemeb! Here's book for you (I'm currently wading thru it): Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein. He as diagnosed a T1 diabetic in the 1940's & at 75 he's still going strong. He's a huge proponent of low-carb diet to control diabetes. He's a real patients advocate and I can't recommend his book enough. Under $20 thru Amazon, too.

SK1
    SK1 is offline Member

Smile

PrimalCon New York
    Type 1 since I was 13 - now I am 29. Definitely read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution - I don't follow it exactly to a tee but it supports the primal lifestyle pretty well and is a good read for tips and suggestions following low carb diets.

I didn't start low carbing until August of last year, and it's made a big difference in my insulin dosage and sensitivity, as well as my A1c levels, etc. I wish I had known about it when I was first diagnosed! I may have been able to save some of my honeymooning beta cells.

Best of luck to you - this is a great place to be at the very start of a diagnosis! Don't be afraid, it's a very manageable disease once you come down to it and I am grateful for that.

Feel free to email me if you have specific questions, for now I have some blogs and websites to direct you to:

www.paleogirls.com - just found this one, and one of the writers is a Type 1! Great recipes.

www.tudiabetes.org - this is basically a big "facebook" type forum for diabetics. I've found it fun and useful at times. You'll find lots of type 1's there with all kinds of different advice and tactics.

Best of luck to you and your husband, happy to talk anytime!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast