Bizzarre, I just typed a reply and it hasn't posted yet, so hopefully this doesn't post twice.

I have been type 1 since I was 13 years old. I am 29 now. I started low carbing/primal around August of 2009 after a rather difficult year of trying to be vegetarian and being hungry and craving sugar all the time. Needless to say, bad for my A1c. Good for me, though, as I needed a change and I've found something that works well here in primal-land.

Feel free to email me if you and your husband have any questions or need support. I wish I had known about this lifestyle when I was first diagnosed! You are definitely in the right place.

Some good blogs:

www.paleogirls.com - great recipes, and Joey is a Type 1.

www.tudiabetes.org - great way to connect to thousands of other diabetics, find support, start and follow discussions.

Dr. Bernstein's book is great for tips - I don't follow it as strictly as he recommends but his ideas are pretty right on. He also has a web forum, I believe.

It's a complicated disease but certainly a manageable one. Don't worry, there are others of us out there and we're leading happy and full lives!