Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self sabotage page 2

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Plus, if salad is all you can think of for lunch (and I admit I do this frequently, have one today even) then just top it with whatever kind of meat you have handy. Or add cottage cheese to it. Some days my salads are even more meat than salad.

Just don't give up!
    Journal

Starting: 207lbs | Current: 176lbs | Mini-goal: 172lbs | Ultimate Goal: 130lbs

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Ham and cheese, leftovers from meatloaf, hamburger patty, hotdog (in a pinch -- I'm not saying it's the healthiest choice), grab chicken from a retailer, etc. I rarely eat salad for lunch. It comes down to you deciding what you want, and given how unwell you feel, you need to do this. Maybe find an accountability partner.

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    I have a BBQ'd chook in the fridge but its due to be thrown out now, that's what I had on my salad the other day. I have to go to the shop anyway so I'll probably pick up something to cook up.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    The best thing about this way of eating is that you have so many delicious foods that you can eat. I almost never feel happy if I eat salad for lunch. I make very hearty lunches - chicken and sweet potato soup that I add slices of avocado after I heat it, beef stew, burger patties, etc. Right now I am in a stretch (I periodically have these) where I am sick to death of all my standard recipes. So right now, I do feel a strong temptation to cheat at lunch because I don't want the food i brought.

So the key is really to make food you are looking forward to eating. If dairy, nuts, and eggs, are not an issue for you then just have that brie cheese with pears and toasted nuts. Don't think about what you can't have, think about what sounds good that you can have
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    The best thing about this way of eating is that you have so many delicious foods that you can eat. I almost never feel happy if I eat salad for lunch. I make very hearty lunches - chicken and sweet potato soup that I add slices of avocado after I heat it, beef stew, burger patties, etc. Right now I am in a stretch (I periodically have these) where I am sick to death of all my standard recipes. So right now, I do feel a strong temptation to cheat at lunch because I don't want the food i brought.

So the key is really to make food you are looking forward to eating. If dairy, nuts, and eggs, are not an issue for you then just have that brie cheese with pears and toasted nuts. Don't think about what you can't have, think about what sounds good that you can have
    Jammies, I couldn't agree more. I have a lot of fun, thinking ahead to what I'm going to prepare and eat next. Also, sometimes it's amazing what can be put together from what's in the fridge. It the olives and feta are there, the meal's going to be a lot yummier than if they aren't.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one who never eats lunch (breakfast too for that matter) cos the last meal I ate was so satiating?

A breakfast consisting of a 4-egg omelette with some cheddar/tomatoes/mushrooms fried with butter, some leftover steak from dinner, sauteed onions, a little greek yoghurt with blueberries and a big cup of green tea/coffee would definitely not allow me to feel hungry enough to eat lunch.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I got to the point where I just IF thru lunch because lol, another salad just made me sad...even though I'm a good cook.

I suggest buying the book Well Fed. She has about a zillion ideas on food mixes that are easy to pull together for the non-cook, plus more complicated recipes. Her spinach/meat muffins make an awesome lunch and are easy, and she has a great method for cooking up a meat and veggie meal in a pan in no time.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    Am I the only one who never eats lunch (breakfast too for that matter) cos the last meal I ate was so satiating?

A breakfast consisting of a 4-egg omelette with some cheddar/tomatoes/mushrooms fried with butter, some leftover steak from dinner, sauteed onions, a little greek yoghurt with blueberries and a big cup of green tea/coffee would definitely not allow me to feel hungry enough to eat lunch.
    Nah, you're not alone. I only eat when I'm hungry, and usually that means just two meals a day. My first meal is sometimes first thing in the morning if I wake up super hungry (like today) in which case I will have a big filling breakfast (today was a huge pile of corned beef hash + 2 eggs + coffee) that will satisfy me to the point of not wanting another thing until as much as 10 hours later! Other days I won't be hungry until 10:30-11:30am, eat a big "brunch" (usually 4oz or more of protein + some starchy veg like a sweet potato + leafy greens of some kind), and won't be hungry again until after 7pm.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Well my bro actually does the shopping. I've just finished the frittata's that I had frozen which I was eating for bfast. I don't limit myself to salads, I just can never think of anything else to do, and right now dinner tends to be meat/chicken and steamed veg. I am not much of a cook and don't enjoy it so I'm going to need to try and get more inventive.
    Plus I gorged myself on brie and crackers today as it had been sooooo long since I'd had any, and I loved it so much, that I ate too much. *sigh*
    I am not a salad lover myself, but I don't think not liking salads is your problem. You just did not invest into forgetting grains. It sounds like you reach for a quick 'treat' food when you are ready to eat. Brie and crackers? If you took an extra few minutes to bake that brie in the oven, you could have been dipping in it with veggies or fruit to your heart's content being primal. You got a muffin? You could have had an apple and some nuts or nut butter for the same amount of calories and efforts. Making a quick soup is simple. Making a smoothie is simple. Steaming some shrimp and mushing some avocado to go with it is simple. Browning some ground beef is simple. Opening a can of salmon is simple... But before it happens you have to stop treating grains as food, or you will end up running to the bakery every time you feel like eating but not like cooking. Once grain stops being food & you get used to serving everything that you served over bread over the meat, fruit or vegetable, and making all sides vegetable and fruit, not grain, you will do fine.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Stop defining lunch by "lunch food." Normal is boring. Have steak for breakfast. Have eggs for lunch. Whatever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast