Thread: Body Composition Question page

Cricket G is offline Junior Member

Body Composition Question

Primal Fuel
    G'day Folks!

Name is Nate, but commonly known as Cricket. I just needed a bit of clarification on something.

I've been Primal for approximately 6 months, and love every minute of it! While reading The Primal Blueprint, coming across the Carbohydrate Curve trigged a question in me. We all know the 0 - 50g = Ketosis, 50 - 100g = Effortless Fat Loss & 100 - 150g (roughly) = Maintain body Composition.

'm currently sitting at 73kg (161lbs) and 13% Bodyfat, Male 22 years old. I'm about to undertake a Leangains/IF approach for 8 weeks and see how I progress while over in Los Angeles. So, the question is... if on my training days a do I guess you could call a carb cycle, but only going to about 125g of clean carbs, and then keeping them under 50g on my rest days, while maintaining a deficit of approximately 600 Calories a day, which for me is roughly 1926.

I would really value the opinions given, as I feel as if I am SO close to where I want to be.

cheers
    ~ Cricket

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    What are your goals? Are you trying to build muscle, lose fat, or both? Typically, doing both is very slow.

Me personally, I'm more interested in building than losing, and I wouldn't restrict at all on lifting days, and restrict just a little bit on rest days, but my goals may be different than yours.

I'm aiming to lose more than anything. I've got enough mass on me for my height that I'd rather just drop fat. I'm currently doing bodyweight pyramid training 3 times a week with 30 mins of skipping on my rest days as I quite enjoy doing it. I can pretty much function on 1900 while working out (no brain fog or the likes). I'd like to lose maybe 4 - 6 lbs over the next 4 weeks and get down to perhaps 7% BF by the end of the year.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you are really 13% don't worry. IN the old CW days that was awesome. Have have seen may here claiming better and then you see their avitar and it is like wtf...you are just a skinny guy with nothing better to do. Focus on putting on muscle rather than loosing fat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    If you are really 13% don't worry. IN the old CW days that was awesome. Have have seen may here claiming better and then you see their avitar and it is like wtf...you are just a skinny guy with nothing better to do. Focus on putting on muscle rather than loosing fat.
    Agreed you will get hotter the stronger you get, not so much the leaner you get.

Additionally a calorie deficeit in addition to intermittant fasting isn't smart. The whole point of IF in the first place (and leangains PWO refeeds) is metabolism optimization/manipulation. When you starve yourself then you are pulling a leg of the chair off at the same time. ESPECIALLY if you are attempting to add strength. Your recovery will suffer and so will your ferocity (read:ability) to lift heavy things. It is not the optimal path.

Do not restrict calories when trying to get stronger - change your eating habits and macro nutrients.
    Learn to listen to your body. e.g. If your recovery is not ideal == more carbs PWO, magnesium and zinc.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 09-05-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Ah, duely noted... well.... TIME FOR A RECALIBRATION!!! The thing is, I'm mainly working on bodyweight training, so is it entirely necessary to have such a high carbohydrate intake post workout?? I know its trial and error, but nearly 300g of Carbs PWO from bodyweight ladder training seems to be a tad overkill... but then again, I could be wrong.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Yes, 300g is probably overkill for bodyweight workouts, and for most iron workouts too.

Go back to 150 or less per day, even on workout days, see how you feel and adjust from there.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Yes, 300g is probably overkill for bodyweight workouts, and for most iron workouts too.

Go back to 150 or less per day, even on workout days, see how you feel and adjust from there.
    What jfreaksho said.

Remember just because it is body weight does not mean it isn't hard work.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Oh I entirely agree Dirlot. I stopped training for about a week and a half and then ended up doing 250 squats pyramid style... still recovering after nearly 3 days!

feren6 is offline Member
    I'd normally agree with you that 300g of carbs is overkill, but looking at all of Martin's clients eat at least 300g carbs on workout days and look at them

The point is, if your workouts are intense, the you are going to NEED a lot more than 150g of carbs. If your workout is mediocre, then you're right, 300g of carbs would be overkill.

After doing Primal for 3 months, I switched to Leangains -- started to get definition in my abs and gained around 6 lbs of lean muscle mass (not weight). All while eating massive amounts of carbs on a primal diet. It's hard to get used to, but when you workout hard you need it.