Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avocados: Crack?

Hybrid View

Avocados: Crack?

Just for fun - but seriously, I feel like I could eat 3 or 4 per day. After reading the EAT MORE FAT thread, I feel completely at ease and like I don't need to save them for a special occasion or something!

I eat homemade guacamole with a spoon. Who needs chips?!

way too much omega 6

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    way too much omega 6
    It's unprocessed and even unheated whole food. Unlike eggs or nuts, it's a fruit. We're supposed to eat it.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 09-03-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    It's unprocessed and even unheated whole food. Unlike eggs or nuts, it's a fruit. We're supposed to eat it.
    Are you saying we are supposed to eat fruit, but not supposed to eat eggs or nuts? If you are, please explain why. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Are you saying we are supposed to eat fruit, but not supposed to eat eggs or nuts? If you are, please explain why. Thanks.
    In my opinion
    Fruit needs to be eaten in order to procreate. By eating eggs&nuts you're not only taking a life, you're denying it from ever happening - that's why you're not supposed to eat eggs&nuts by the bulk (for proof, eggs/nuts allergy is pretty common and even can be caused by over-consuming). I'm not saying few nuts here and there is bad for you nor is the common egg. However, they were never such a huge part of Grok's diet like many Primals around here.
    It's also worth mentioning that almonds were originally pretty bitter and toxic until men did his voodoo on them.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 09-05-2012 at 03:03 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    way too much omega 6
    No way, Avocado fat is amazingly healthy.

Remember, natural Omega 6 oils are fine. (Within some level of normal moderation.) It's the levels of O-6 you get from PROCESSED oils and industrial foods that are brutal. We aren't made to eat rapeseed or cottonseed or soybean oil, or grain fed cow. Those just weren't in our diets until very recently.

Same with nuts. People freak out about the level of O6 in nuts, even though nuts appear to be very healthy and do very well in most observational studies. The fact is that foods need to be looked at in it's WHOLE form, not just as the macro and micros. (Kind of like how a vitamin might be great when eaten in the context of a natural food, but NOT in the form of a synthetic supplement.)

lol well i'm not going to actually eat 3 or 4 per day, but I'm glad that I don't have to obsess about the fat content when I want one. and yes - down with chips!

You don't have to obsess about the fat content of anything no matter what you are doing on the primal blueprint. Fat is good for you. Just don't eat too much if you are trying to lose weight. By the way, you can get sick of avocados. I know this through personal experience. It is difficult to do, but it can be done.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I absolutely overdid the avocados. Try to moderate if you can! Sometimes I think the foods I tend to OD on are the ones I should limit or avoid altogether---avocados certainly fit that bill for me.