Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quark Recipe? page

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member

Quark Recipe?

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have an easy recipe for Quark that works really well? I have access to raw milk, raw buttermilk and raw kefir. I googled it, but it seems everyone has a different way of doing it. How do you guys do it? and once you have it...how do you eat it/what do you eat it with?

Thanks!
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a recipe, wish I did, but just as a question - are you German? Hardly anybody knows that this exists outside of the German speaking countries. How did you meet this food?

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    I'm German, and my grandmother used to make her own Kefir. I'm not sure if she made her own Quark, but I can ask. She probably would know something about it.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i used to get quark years ago when i lived in london. if you google "quark recipe", the common theme seems to be culture some milk, by either just leaving it out on the bench for a day or two or adding something cultured to it and then leaving it somewhere warm. Then you hang it to make a soft cheese. the longer you hang it the drier the quark is.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I throw kefir grains (~ 2 cups of grains) into 2-2.5 L of milk (organic, no raw available here) and leave for a couple days till curd and whey separates. I mix it once in a while with a wooden spoon. Once the curds separate, I fish out kefir grains, and put the pot on the lowest setting on the stove for ~ 20 min to 30 min, just to promote separation again. Then I take a big colander, line it with paper towel, and pour the content of the pot into it. I place colander on top of the kefir making pot and put in the fridge overnight to drain. I turn the ready quark from the towel into the plastic container. Really, it's pretty simple. I used to do it the old fashioned Russian way, straining in the cheesecloth, but I like the paper towel method better, since no cheese cloth is involved and you do not need to find a place to hang it to drip, and it turns softer and yummier imo. Oh, and I really do not like warming it up too much either, since I like the softer version better.

Normally, I use it as a dish, eating straight with salt or mixing in coconut milk before eating if it is a bit too acidic. I also make salads with it, tomato, or radish-cucumber and dill and onions. Finally, I used to make syrniks by adding a bit of non-glut flour mix to it and forming patties, browning them and baking. It's great as a base for fruit just like cottage cheese too. I also add it as a filler in the meatballs and meatloaves. R
    Last edited by Leida; 09-05-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Crabbcakes: Nope...born in South Carolina, raised in Texas. I saw someone mention it here on MDA and googled it and it looked good. I like to make things like that and I love cheese. I have to admit, though...I have never actually tried it...but it looks worth it. I was thinking that mixed with cocoa, it might taste like a chocolate cheesecake...kind of. or mix with berries. It just seems like a great medium.

Leida: Thanks! When you leave your milk/kefir grains mix, WHERE do you leave them? On the stove at room temp or in the stove on low heat? Adding it to meatballs sounds wonderful! I need to make some meatballs and sauce. How do you make your meatballs?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 09-05-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Annun is offline Junior Member
    You can make awesome crustless cheesecake with quark and some fruits!

Annum: Yumm....Im sure I will try that. Maybe I'll mix with cocoa and a bit of honey and then add strawberries on top. Just have to get out to the farm. The place I buy my milk from will give free kefir grains if you want them. I might run out there after work for milk, eggs, kefir and grains.
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Annun is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    Annum: Yumm....Im sure I will try that. Maybe I'll mix with cocoa and a bit of honey and then add strawberries on top. Just have to get out to the farm. The place I buy my milk from will give free kefir grains if you want them. I might run out there after work for milk, eggs, kefir and grains.
    You can also use a bit of vanilla. I am sure it would be super tasty!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Leida: Thanks! When you leave your milk/kefir grains mix, WHERE do you leave them? On the stove at room temp or in the stove on low heat? Adding it to meatballs sounds wonderful! I need to make some meatballs and sauce. How do you make your meatballs?
    Hi, I usually leave it at the stove top at room temp, and cover it with a clean dish towel. It doesn't need to be warmed up to procreate, unless we are talking a traditional farm kitchen in the middle of the winter in Alaska, when you need to dust the snowflakes off the stove-top in the morning....

For the meatballs, burgers, meatloaves, meatzzas, I do the standard mix (if I have quark). If I don't have quark, I replace quark with some boiled and mushed root vegetable, like a beet, sweet potato, turnip - everything works just fine:

Meat: Meatballs, 0.5 kg (1 lb) of each beef, lamb, pork and turkey (or any kind of combination for the total of 1 and 1/2 to 2 lbs or 1 kg of meat);
    Liquids: 0.5 cup quark; 1 egg, 50 g onion (or 1/2 medium onion or 1/4 of a REALLY BIG onion), 2-4 garlic cloves, and ~ 2tbsp of any herbs I feel like adding (parsley, normally)
    Dry Stuff: 2 to 4 dry shiitake mushrooms (size matters!), a pinch of nutmeg, about a tbsp of ground black pepper, fennel seeds and coriander

Step 1: Let the meats thaw and come to room temperature.
    Step 2: Throw the liquid components into blender and blend. I use Magic Bullet for it, and it is just what the doc ordered. If you don't have a blender, and a 6 yo that insists that she doesn't like garlic and onion but eats it if it is hidden, just chop the onion super-fine, squeeze the garlic and mix everything well and good.
    Step 3: break shiitake's apart, discard the stems, and throw the entire spice mix and shiitakes in the dedicated coffee grinder/spice grinder. Pulverize into neat powder.
    Step 4: Now you gonna get real dirty. Mix the meats well if you are using more than 1 kind of meat.
    Step 5: Make a well in your meats, pour in the liquids, dump the solids and ponder the universe while mixing it all nice and even. If you are gonna cook meatballs or Burgers ASAP, preheat the broiler before submerging hands in the meat into meat and get the broiler pad, oil it up, the whole nine yards. Unless you are big into washing hands.
    Step 6: Shape whichever way you chose. For meatballs, I use 1 or 2 tbsp scoop (oil it up before shaping); for burgers: 1/3 cup scoop, for meatloaves - a pan, and I LOVE filling it up with eggs, ham and cheese! And for meatzza, I press my meat on the 12 inch pizza plate.
    Step 7: Put Meatballs or Burgers on the broiling pan, broil till crisp on one side (4 min for meatballs, 7 min for burgers for me!). Get 'em out, close the stove door to keep it toasty, and flip every darn meatball/burger over. Broil the other side. Usually takes half the time. Dump in the large bowl and let people have a go at it.

For meatzzas and meatloaves, follow your fav cooking protocol.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast