Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilonidal cyst (kinda gross) page

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Pilonidal cyst (kinda gross)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has anyone had these before? Real pain in the ass!

I woke up two days ago and thought I had bruised my tailbone somehow. But then that night I felt around and felt some lumps! Freaked me out!
    I haven't been to a doctor or anything, but I'm pretty sure what I have is a Pilonidal cyst.

I've been applying different oils, bentonite clay, and colloidal silver at different times. Also took a warm epsom salt bath the night I noticed it. Last night it burst a little bit in the shower when I was using really hot water (for some reason directly after it burst I experienced extreme nausea, dizziness and confusion and crawling skin for a few minutes but then it passed). It has been bleeding slowly but steadily since then.
    The swelling has gone down a bit but the pain is just as bad if not worse.
    I really don't want there to be any complications or for it to: get worse/infected/need surgery/come back. Does anyone have any tips perchance?

Other than topically applying what I listed above, since noticing it I've dropped my sugars/carbs to as close to 0 as possible (still getting some from homemade raw kefir but I understand a lot of the milk sugars get "eaten up" by this process). I've started taking raw garlic, upped my coconut oil intake, and have been taking Bentonite and Diatomaceous Earth internally. Started taking a bit of turmeric added to my kefir as well.
    So yeah, any tips or experiences?
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Go to the doctor's office. I googled the cyst.... and it looks like they can tunnel. So get it looked at by a professional, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Go to the doctor's office. I googled the cyst.... and it looks like they can tunnel. So get it looked at by a professional, just in case.
    I'm glad I caught it and started treating it on the first day. I will see a doctor eventually if it fails to improve significantly, but I have no insurance and can't really afford a doctor's visit at the moment.And then there's my whole lack of faith in and general distrust and dislike for the medical system. But I'm not an idiot, I will get it looked at if all else fails.

But from what I've read, surgery on these things SUCK! Your ass looks deformed afterwards, and you're stuck lying on your stomach for 2-3 months while it heals, and THEN there's a large chance it will come back! There's no way I could miss that much work... or any for that matter!

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    My husband has had this. From what I understand there is a minor birth defect under the skin that creates a pocket. If an infection gets in the pocket you get a pilonidal cyst. My husband had his lanced by the doctor and left open to drain and heal from the bottom up and a round of antibiotics to keep it from spreading. They will deliberately try to create scar tissue to seal the pocket together so it won't recurr. His came back a second time and was lanced again and hasn't come back in seven years. They only do surgery if it keeps coming back multiple times. This is one that stands a good chance of not healing on its own and coming back repeatedly. A looksee by the doc is probably a good idea.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I have an AI disorder (mostly under control unless I overdo it with starches) called hidradenitis suppurativa which forms similar cyst-like bumps that eventually drain. The best thing you can do is apply hot compresses, a wet washcloth in the shower or a heating pad for 20 minutes, 3 x per day which will help it drain faster. Ideally you would have a doctor look at it but I get the lack of insurance so just try to keep it clean and keep an eye on it. Most use Hibiclens wash and you can get Hibistat wipes to take with you to work. If it's draining heavily you can dress it with a thin (breathable) gauze. After it's healed, light exfoliation can help keep the area clear.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I am going to make a really long story, really short.

My friend's adult son had a pilonidal cyst that could not heal. Yes, as mentioned by lissee, they tunnel and his was many inches deep. After each surgery (he had numerous), it would heal to a point but then stop because hair was growing there. This process went on for years.

My friend is an excellent RN and very educated on the subject, but her son was facing (yet another) surgery, so she was feeling rather desperate. Then, she heard from a friend of a friend, to try zinc oxide. Yup, that white stuff that surfers put on their nose. She was skeptical but what did they have to lose?

That's what he did. It healed. Everyone was amazed.

The End.

(and best wishes to you that you get it under control, quickly)

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post

My friend's adult son had a pilonidal cyst that could not heal. Yes, as mentioned by lissee, they tunnel and his was many inches deep. After each surgery (he had numerous), it would heal to a point but then stop because hair was growing there. This process went on for years.

My friend is an excellent RN and very educated on the subject, but her son was facing (yet another) surgery, so she was feeling rather desperate. Then, she heard from a friend of a friend, to try zinc oxide. Yup, that white stuff that surfers put on their nose. She was skeptical but what did they have to lose?

The End.

Interesting, because I read that supplementing with zinc can be very helpful for this. Of course to me, that means go buy some oysters and scallops, which i did, but hey. Thanks for the response and it's definitely something I'll look into.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post

The End.

I had completely forgotten about that, but I'd heard about ZO as well.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    I have an AI disorder (mostly under control unless I overdo it with starches) called hidradenitis suppurativa which forms similar cyst-like bumps that eventually drain.

Mark highlighted someone recently who had this as well. Her trigger was potatoes, do you think that maybe something you're eating might have helped trigger your cyst? Maybe since switching to paleo have you included more nightshades in your diet? Good luck.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    They stick a wick in it so it will drain properly. No big deal. Was told as a teenager it might recur, 35 years and counting it hasn't. If this thing gets infected you'll really miss some work.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast