Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilonidal cyst (kinda gross) page 2

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Mark highlighted someone recently who had this as well. Her trigger was potatoes, do you think that maybe something you're eating might have helped trigger your cyst? Maybe since switching to paleo have you included more nightshades in your diet? Good luck.
    I've read her blog posts about it as well as the feature here. The only nightshades I eat are tomatoes and peppers, and haven't been eating quite so many tomatoes lately. I've not noticed any change during times when I wasn't eating them. My original trigger was gluten, which fortunately was easy to figure out because I'd been on a business trip to France about 8 years ago and went a little nuts with all the croissants and French bread. On the way home I was covered in a rash and had the first episode. It was the only thing I'd been eating in quantities larger than normal. I'd never been a big bread/pasta eater so I think the binge just pushed me over the edge. I can recall symptoms years before that but I never associated the two.

It took me a couple of years to go completely GF and by that point I'd developed other issues including a disc so badly herniated it had to be replaced (which can be a symptom of gluten intolerance) and ongoing digestive issues. I'm also quite intolerant of corn, which can be a major pain to avoid as it's in EVERYTHING. So there is the possibility that I get low level contamination from time to time. I really should do a more thorough elimination diet to see if I could pinpoint something specific, but due to finding the original trigger quickly I've never had a severe form and being intolerant of starches and many FODMAPs on top of gluten, the idea of cutting out more foods just makes me want to cry.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Glad you found your trigger so easily! Gluten sure can do some awful stuff can't it? For myself, I'm allergic to gluten as well. And now that I've cleared off wheat for good, my health has improved drastically.

To our OP, hope you can find your trigger too.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Good news! Woke up today, day 3, and I'd say a good 90% of the pain and swelling is gone. The cyst is barely there anymore and a lot less inflamed-looking. It drained a whole lot in the shower last night after applying a bunch of bentonite to the area and using really hot water in the shower. I know I'm not in the clear entirely, but it's progressing in the right direction and I'm pretty sure there's no infection at this point. Things are calming down. And thank goodness because I've had the past couple days off work, which was really lucky, and today I have to go back and I was dreading having to drive there (rode in a car yesterday and it was not fun!) but I think it'll be alright today.

Lissee, interesting you should mention nightshades. I generally avoid them, moreso tomatoes than peppers, etc. as I've determined large amounts of tomatoes (read: tomato sauce) to cause arthritic symptoms for me. I never eat potatoes, haven't since I went paleo a few years ago. But what's interesting is that I had a cheat of sorts two nights before this cyst came up. It was a whole lotta corn chips (not the best ones either) and I had an entire jar of salsa with them, as well as some chocolate. I felt like crap the entire next day, including having a very difficult BM. I have been thinking that might at least have something to do with this. Hmm.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

lissee is offline Senior Member
    That's great news boxcarguy! : ) And very interesting about the corn chips & salsa. I wonder which was the trigger, perhaps the salsa since you have a reaction to tomatoes already. It's nice that you've been eating so cleanly for so long, so it was pretty easy for you to drill down to figure out what might have caused the cyst.

If you get brave in the future, you'll have to OD on salsa or chips again and see if you have a similar reaction.

Good luck with the drive into work.

actionbrew is offline Junior Member
    I know this post is old but I just recently had that pain in the ass cyst and would like to add some suggestions on how to deal with it. Had the same painful bump once when i was 22 and than again at 31. From what ive read most people seem to panic and go to the doctor and have that idiot send them in for surgery to get it drained and patched up. I strongly suggest not doing that do to the fact that even if you get it surgically removed it can still come back and it's also very costly and takes much longer to heal in my opinion. Here is what i did:
    After being in pain for two days I decided to go see my doctor to get antibiotics ((cephalexin 500mg) works just fine for me along with some pain killers so you don't have to suffer all the way thru. The doctor gave me tylenol codeine witch is garbage i suggest you tell him to give you percocet instead. The codeine is a fucking joke lets be honest! After the doc visit give your self a few days to heal and just simply relax. The best thing you can do is Epsom salt baths twice a day witch works great and knocks down the swelling of the cyst and eventually makes it softer to pop. At first i didn't know what the fuck that is so i check my local wal-mart and found Dr. Teal's Epsom salt 3lb bag for like 5 bucks. Take 2-3 cups of that stuff and throw in a hot bath and soak your ass for 30 minutes for so (be sure to stir the water after adding in the salt). After 3 days the cyst popped ( don't panic) so i simply cleaned it with peroxide and bandaged it up. As soon as it bursted i took a Epsom salt bath than bandaged it up., Two days after that it was pretty much down hill and let the healing began. Be sure to stay off your ass as much as possible and take about a week off from work/school. After the cyst goes down i suggest you keep that area as clean as possible and try to remove the hair as well. Find an Asian massage place that does happen endings and im sure they'll be able to wax that area for you as well! two birds with one stone in my opinion haha,.. That's all i have and let me know how it worked out for you!!!

Runnergirl is offline Junior Member
    Mine burrow, so they won't pop or drain. I had surgery when I was in high school and have been having a lot of pain recently. I am sure a cyst is there, but after having complications after surgery, I am hesitant to go through that again.

catgirl320 is online now Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnergirl View Post
    Mine burrow, so they won't pop or drain. I had surgery when I was in high school and have been having a lot of pain recently. I am sure a cyst is there, but after having complications after surgery, I am hesitant to go through that again.
    Surgery complications are very common, especially with the ones that burrow, and when they burrow it almost impossible for the surgeon to complete remove every part of them. You are smart to avoid surgery if possible.

I've had mine for 7 or 8 years. Since it never got infected, my doctor advised not removing it. Occasionally it would drain. In the fall it was about the size of a nickle, and about 1/4 inch high. It, and my other skin problems, have improved quite a bit once I started my aip. I found I am sensitive to all nightshades and dairy. Once I eliminated those, and began using coconut oil on my skin, my PC began shrinking. Now it is completely flat, no drainage or sensitivity at all. If you have eliminated grains, but are still having cysts or other skin problems there might be other things you are sensitive to.

sent from my tablet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12