Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Green Egg - new owner! page

marthat is offline Senior Member

Big Green Egg - new owner!

Shop Now
    We have just bought ourselves a Big Green Egg BBQ/Smoker. Like this: Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience Hubby has spend his whole holiday Monday building a beautiful table for it and assembling/installing it. It's very exciting to get ready to take food preparation in a whole new direction, and one that does not involve fossil fuels!

So what can the collective wisdom of this forum tell me about BGE cooking? What are your best recipes and products? What resources do you use for ideas/advice? Any words of warning or wisdom?

All information gratefully accepted!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am so jealous. I have wanted one of those for a very long time!!!

No advice from me - just a little envy
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Whoa. Never heard of these. Have been contemplating a smoker, and now I am intrigued!

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    Hi Marthat,
    Envious here. Let me know when you are having a big feast and I'll come over.

One of my friends has one, and she has a blog.

EmmaEats…and Katie too!

Her husband does the Green Egg work, but she talks about the meals they have from it. She also has a recipe for icing that uses coconut cream instead of dairy. I haven't tried it yet.

mommymd

patski is offline Senior Member
    Wifey and I are planning on buying a knock-off BGE, the Kamado Pro.

Apparently BGE customer service in Canada STINKS.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    After an entire day spent building a beautiful Western red cedar table for our new Big Green Egg, we placed it lovingly in its new nest and fired it up for our first meal. Home-made burgers and grilled portabello mushrooms. It was great! The burgers were very juicy with none of the burnt crispy edges that happen on our old BBQ. Maybe because the grill is further from the flame. And the taste was delicious.

I had the leftover burger and mushroom for lunch today. Warmed in the mic at work, I was the envy of the entire table when the aroma of my lunch wafted out of its container. Lucky me!

So am I the only one on these boards with a BGE?? Surely not! It's such a great way to cook meat and vegetables.

I'm adding it to my list of "future house upgrades". I'll check back to this thread in 2014 and tell you how I like it.

beachcampin is offline Junior Member
    Congrats on the egg. I know that will give you many great cooks, especially when you get it dialed in and well seasoned. I could never afford to spend that kind of cash on a cooker though. I made myself an ugly drum smoker for less than $100 and it cooks as well as anyone could want. I can move it around fairly easily and it will hold it's temperature solid for 20 hours without me needing to touch it or add additional fuel.

I used to do competition BBQ though and knew several guys who put out some amazing product using the egg. They swore by them and I can understand why. I didn't envy them though loading up their equipment.

The fun part has been relearning to make good 'Q without all the sugar. Competition bbq for the most part, at least in the South, uses way too much sugar for my taste now (and my health).

Quote Originally Posted by beachcampin View Post
    The fun part has been relearning to make good 'Q without all the sugar. Competition bbq for the most part, at least in the South, uses way too much sugar for my taste now (and my health).
    I rub mine down with maple sugar; it never comes out overly sweet, and it does all the things you want sugar to do to dry-rubbed meats.

Pretty much the only reason we have white sugar in the house anymore is for guests who like it with their coffee, and for making hummingbird nectar.

I really need to smoke some ribs soon.

beachcampin is offline Junior Member
    I shudder to think about how I used to cook my ribs. Rub, smoke two hours, then hit with a sweet bbq sauce, honey, brown sugar wrap in foil, put pineapple juice in foil, cook for 45 minutes then smoke for an additional 30 minutes. Took the resulting au jus from the pouch and reduced in in a pot during the last 30 minutes of the ribs cooking and basted resulting syrupy goo all over the finished product. Pork Candy, but man it tasted good.

Now I use a similar method, except only a little honey, home made BBQ sauce that is much healthier and just a touch of pine apple juice in the foil pouch. Now that I don't have the same taste for sweet, the new ribs taste just as good to me, but they probably wouldn't do as good in a comp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast