Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Green Egg - new owner! page 2

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Our second meal on the Big Green Egg was feta and spinach pork sausages, made by a local butcher from local pork. And corn on the cob, cooked in the husk. My first try at grilled corn. It was amazing!! Loving this grill!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    So we just had our first smoker adventure on the Big Green Egg. My university son was home for the weekend, totally stoked about Mom and Dad now owning a smoker, so we had to try something. We did a rump roast, rubbed with a home-made spice rub last night, then smoked all day over mesquite wood chips. It was absolutely awesome! Fell apart, lots of crusty bits, amazing flavour. A bit dry in parts, but we figure it could have been eaten 1-2 hours earlier. I left all the fat on the roast and the bone in when we cooked it.

We can't wait to try smoked fish now. Hubby is researching recipes on his laptop as I write. We live on the shores of Georgian Bay, on the Great Lakes. Salmon, lake trout, whitefish, so many possibilities!

beachcampin is offline Junior Member
    Many beef cuts don't have enough connective tissue to handle smoking all day which is why you get the dryness. For long smoking at low temperatures (220-250) for beef look for a brisket or beef ribs. If I'm going to cook a beef cut like a roast on the smoker, I up the temperature and cook it just like would in the oven, including doneness and timing. Then you get smoky flavor in a medium rare or medium roast. For a really tasty crust, get the roast to med rare, then pull it. Dump in a whole chimney of lit charcoal and jack the temp up to 500. Then put the roast back on for twenty minutes. Not sure if the egg can handle that fast of a temperature rise though since it's ceramic. Mine's metal so I just let it rip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12