Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i make my baked sweet potato fries more crisp? page

Jamie Madrox is online now Senior Member

how do i make my baked sweet potato fries more crisp?

Shop Now
    I've come close a few times to perfect crisp on the outside and light on the inside but usually I get mushy fries or if they are crispy they are burnt. Anyone have any tips? I've tried a variety of temps and oils and such.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Use some egg white whisked with your oil (obviously, don't use vegetable oil though):

Sweet Potato Fries with Curry Mayonnaise - Recipes - Recipe of the day - Canadian Living

Bonus: you can use the leftover yolk to make mayo for your dip.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    The best method I've used is tossing liberally with coconut oil or a coconut oil/ghee blend and a 375-400F oven, sprinkle with cinnamon and cayenne. After 20 min or so, turn the potato, they are usually nicely browned on one side by then, another 15-20 min on the other side usually results in crispy browned carmelized outsides, soft tender insides. I usually do them in cubes rather than fries for shape. I also line the baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup, because I hate dishes!

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    I found olive oil gives a crisper finish. If you are playing with temp, go higher...

DaniPani is offline Junior Member
    I don't usually make fries but I just cube my sweet potatoes and toss them in a bowl with a liberal amount of olive oil, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne. I bake them at 425 for 25-30 minutes and I turn them at the 15 minute mark. I've noticed that after I flip them, if I kind of crowd them all in the center the smaller pieces won't burn. If you have leftovers for some odd reason, they're delicious fried up with bacon and eggs.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Try soaking in cold water first, then drying them off---should fry up better!

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Never tried this before so gave it a shot, went with DaniPani's directions. Thanks

Pretty dang tasty, will be repeating this.
    I deviated by sprinkling Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head Rub.

DaniPani is offline Junior Member
    I'm glad they worked out for you Springnr! That rub sounds delicious!

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I'm a restaurant cook so I can certainly help with this, even though I think carbohydrates are the devil. soak them overnight in salted water, this will pull out a pretty significant amount of starch and sugar. Thoroughly dry them and blanch them. Blanch until l they are about halfway, refrigerate to stop the cooking. You can do this in large batches, ive seen blanched fries sit in the cooler for a week with no issues. You could also make a very large batch and freeze at this point. On the second fry be sure your oil is at at least 350, for blanching it should be around 300-325. fry until crisp, toss in cinnamon and sugar, plain sea salt, or try a mixture of cayenne, smoked paprika, sea salt, a pinch of cocoa powder, a pinch of instant espresso, and peppercorn medley for a nice pungent kick! Hope this helps, enjoy!

I realize this takes some time and few extra steps, but this is the full proof culinary way and the secret to the perfect fries. you should also know that sweet potato fries will never be as crispy as regular fries

Heth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I'm a restaurant cook so I can certainly help with this, even though I think carbohydrates are the devil. soak them overnight in salted water, this will pull out a pretty significant amount of starch and sugar. Thoroughly dry them and blanch them. Blanch until l they are about halfway, refrigerate to stop the cooking. You can do this in large batches, ive seen blanched fries sit in the cooler for a week with no issues. You could also make a very large batch and freeze at this point. On the second fry be sure your oil is at at least 350, for blanching it should be around 300-325. fry until crisp, toss in cinnamon and sugar, plain sea salt, or try a mixture of cayenne, smoked paprika, sea salt, a pinch of cocoa powder, a pinch of instant espresso, and peppercorn medley for a nice pungent kick! Hope this helps, enjoy!

I realize this takes some time and few extra steps, but this is the full proof culinary way and the secret to the perfect fries. you should also know that sweet potato fries will never be as crispy as regular fries
    Do you do the 'blanch' in water or oil?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast