Thread: Needed: Primal Vacation Location page

Needed: Primal Vacation Location

Primal Fuel
    I'm planning a family vacation for myself, my husband and our 10 year old daughter. We don't travel often and I want this to be a special, off the beaten path, primal location. Some place remote where we can fish, gather, play in the water and hang with the locals. If you could choose anywhere in the world to go primal on vacation, where would it be?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Iceland.

It may not sound enticing, but I hear of people who take a holiday there and like it so much they keep going back. Frankly, not having been there yet, I'm envious.

The scenery is certainly spectacular. Also, there'd be skyr to drink, and Mark has confirmed that he regards that as primal. :-)

Besides, the cold is good for you:

Is Brown Fat Good For You? | Mark's Daily Apple

I'm not sure if Mark regards the heads of sheep that have been buried to rot before being eaten as a delicacy as primal. But then again I'm not sure the Icelanders do that any more.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    I'm traveling in New Zealand right now and would highly recommend it. Lots of unspoiled territory with just the right amount of rental housing and activity/equipment rental. Super nice people, too.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I'll second NZ!

This is where we holiday every year: Duncan Bay Bach accommodation. Duncan Bay, Tennyson Inlet, Marlborough Sounds

The photo's don't do it justice though. We usually start the day with freshly plucked green lipped muscles or clams, gathered by ourselves in the bay. Then after a bush walk, we get our rental boat into the water and fish all day, stopping at any random bay along the way for a quick swim or picnic on the beach. Home in time to clean the fish for dinner. Then after dinner we often go out again for a spot of evening fishing so we can have fresh fish for breakfast the following day. There are sea kayaks to borrow, and we often spend time on those finding the ideal place to stope for a swim.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I'll third New Zealand.
    Best kept secret in the world.... so don't tell anybody !!!!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Icelandic food is mostly junk - burgers and chips, from what I have heard.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Icelandic food is mostly junk - burgers and chips, from what I have heard.
    And that's in line with your usual standard of manners. You haven't been there; you don't know; it's something you've "heard"; but you'll gladly insult an entire population.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Is marlbourough bottom of the north or top of the south? I forget which is where. We're thinking paliser bay this christmastime for the family -- possibly mid-week assuming we can find something, though we might just stay in/around wellington.

it is awesome here, for sure.

I very much want to go to iceland, and the traditional foods are really good (we have friends from there. . . well, they live in the states, but yeah, the food they prepared was good). I suppose that, like everywhere -- including here -- you can get burgers and fries anywhere. Heck, I even could get them in rural africa.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Not nearly the grand vacation suggestion like New Zealand, but my DH and I went here a few years ago:

Maine wilderness vacations at The Birches Resort on Moosehead Lake.

It was actually a little too primal for me as we had 0 cell reception, no TV and we were barely able to tune in a single radio station. Some like that. I don't. BUT, we had a very nice cabin right on the lake. Had a blast kayaking and biking (though I ended up becoming severely overheated...not so much fun). And the people that run the place were really nice.