Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low fat milk vs whole milk page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    As stated by Lewis

"The dairy companies know that, so they add back extra spray-dried skimmed milk to thicken it up a bit. The process of spray-drying overheats the milk and degrades the proteins in it, making it at the very least less than ideal. Google: "denatured proteins toxicity".

SOUNDS AWESOME! SIGN ME UP!

Since sarcasm may not come across on the internet this is may disclaimer.....SARCASM!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Microphotography of Raw and Processed Milk - Weston A Price Foundation

whole milk is just too much fat, especially if you're already getting it from other sources. it's a good way to gain excess weight. i stick to drinking low fat milk, and get my fat from other sources like cheese or coconut oil.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Well, that's enough, isn't it?

There have been studies out for quite awhile that indicate it ought to be, including one where one group of teenage girls was given skimmed milk and one whole milk. You won't be surprised to find that the former put on more weight. You could probably track some of this down through pubmed if it mattered enough to you.

(But milk even when not interfered with by skimming is pretty isulinogenic anyway. Loren Cordain often quotes a Swedish study where a group of boys was divided in two, half being given their protein requirement in the form of milk, half in the form of meat. The boys on milk became insulin resistant within a worryingly short length of time. Of course, few people would get their total protein requirement from milk ... but maybe worth noticing.)

However ... if you want an answer to "is there something else?" -- yes, there is. The "mouth-feel" of skimmed milk is not appealing to most people. The dairy companies know that, so they add back extra spray-dried skimmed milk to thicken it up a bit. The process of spray-drying overheats the milk and degrades the proteins in it, making it at the very least less than ideal. Google: "denatured proteins toxicity".

If you really want to drink milk, the best strategy would be to buy whole milk direct from a farm where you know the cows are grazing on organic pasture and that the farmer cares about something more than whatever lowest standard will do.

But high-quality cheese, specially goat's milk or ewe's milk, would be better.
    Is that any different to pasteurization? Or the heating of milk that's used to make yogurt
    I know adding permeate to help the consistency has been phased out in Australia. I do use skim milk powder in my yogurt though.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    It's just milk without the fat, nothing inherently bad about it. In fact if it's milk from a CAFO cow you would be better off with low fat. I like a bit of low-fat yogurt which is basically just low-fat milk fermented. The yogurt tastes pretty good mixed with regular yogurt, though I find low fat milk on it's own is kind of tasteless and watery.
    Sorry check your labels, every low fat yogourt I have seen is very high sugar yogourt.

As you said low fat milk is pretty tasteless so why bother.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing LeanGains and eat a lot of plain non-fat greek yogurt on my 'low-fat, high protein' days. One of the kneejerk responses to low/non-fat dairy is that it's a processed food, however the processing in this case is simply removing some or all of the cream. That leaves a watery soup of lactose and whatever else is in milk (as it is milk is almost 90% water). The reason studies say people gain weight when drinking skim is that they don't have the satiating effect of the fat in the milk so they compensate with more food. There's nothing inherently bad about it.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Microphotography of Raw and Processed Milk - Weston A Price Foundation

whole milk is just too much fat, especially if you're already getting it from other sources. it's a good way to gain excess weight. i stick to drinking low fat milk, and get my fat from other sources like cheese or coconut oil.
    nonsense, you have to keep up with your calorie count

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    i'm already lean, and would like to stay that. and also, consuming tons of fat offers no benefits whatsoever to me.

paul_b is offline Member
    My thinking would be that as natural as possible. So in order to make it low fat, it must of been through a process...go whole

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_b View Post
    My thinking would be that as natural as possible. So in order to make it low fat, it must of been through a process...go whole
    +1
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Is oxidized cholesterol enough reason? Of course some of them think that homogenization is really the worst part about milk:

Not your grandma's milk | Grist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12