Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Diurnal Insulin Resistance Swings page

  1. #1
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    555

    Diurnal Insulin Resistance Swings

    Primal Fuel
    My morning fasting (14 hours) numbers are 88-90. If I eat 30 grams of carbs for breakfast from banana and Greek yogurt, my 1 hour postprandial increases to only 100. However, if I eat 30 grams of carbs from banana and Brussels sprouts for dinner (2:30pm), my 1 hour postprandial shoots up to 150 and takes 3 hours to drop below 120. I have read about diurnal cycles in insulin resistance but usually it is the opposite of my experience.

    Does anyone else have this experience? Should I eat all of my daily carbs at breakfast? My goal is to keep my BG below 140. Thanks.

  2. #2
    emmie's Avatar
    emmie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,299
    To control your blood glucose, Dr. Richard Bernstein (of Diabetes Solution) recommends carbs at no more than 30g per DAY--and 6/12/12 for the three meals.

  3. #3
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    To control your blood glucose, Dr. Richard Bernstein (of Diabetes Solution) recommends carbs at no more than 30g per DAY--and 6/12/12 for the three meals.
    The problem with a "one size fits all" recommendation like this is that we are all so different, apparently, in how our BG is regulated. Why would I limit carbs in the morning when it is when my body can best handle them? Everything I read says the biggest risk factor for CVD is how many hours per day your BG is above 140 which is when permanent damage occurs. I am also concerned about the long term effects of a VLC regimen. I want to keep my carbs around the 100 g/d maintenance level.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 09-03-2012 at 05:23 AM.

  4. #4
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    To control your blood glucose, Dr. Richard Bernstein (of Diabetes Solution) recommends carbs at no more than 30g per DAY--and 6/12/12 for the three meals.
    I just watched a couple of Dr RB's lectures. He is truly one amazing dude! i now understand why his carb recommendation is so severe - his goal is normal BG before, during and after a meal. As a chemical engineer myself, I relate to his curiosity and meticulous self-examination. Becoming a doctor in his 40's so he would have cred is amazing. I am especially impressed with the breath-taking reversal in his lipid profile. I am not sure if a doctor would officially diagnose me T2 because my fasting numbers are good; but, my postprandials are horrible. I simply can not eat more than 15 gms carbs without having 1 hour BG exceed 140. Heck, i go above 140 (1 hr) after eating a bowl of broccoli and brussels spouts. Dr Bernstein explains this phenomenon when he says eating pebbles (distending intestine) will spike a diabetics BG. I don't like it, but I am slowly accepting the fact that I can not eat 75+ grams of carbs per day and the 6/12/12 looks like the right answer for me. I plan to follow this approach as well as I can and hope I get a big improvement in my lipid profile.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 09-05-2012 at 02:51 AM.

  5. #5
    Baba's Avatar
    Baba is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39
    To know your BG peak, you have to test quite often, like every 15 minutes. And to compare your reaction you'd have to eat the same meal - not only the same amount of carbs, but literally the same meal.

    And to determine if your insulin resistance is physiological (from eating low carb) or pathological (from eating crap), you should know your fasting insulin.

  6. #6
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba View Post
    To know your BG peak, you have to test quite often, like every 15 minutes. And to compare your reaction you'd have to eat the same meal - not only the same amount of carbs, but literally the same meal.

    And to determine if your insulin resistance is physiological (from eating low carb) or pathological (from eating crap), you should know your fasting insulin.
    By eating "crap", I assume you are referring to my pre-PB high carb days? I have binged on ice cream a couple times in the last few months, but my current spikes come almost entirely from brussel sprouts, broccoli, spinach, frozen strawberries, sweet potato and 90% dark chocolate.

  7. #7
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I just watched a couple of Dr RB's lectures. He is truly one amazing dude! i now understand why his carb recommendation is so severe - his goal is normal BG before, during and after a meal. As a chemical engineer myself, I relate to his curiosity and meticulous self-examination. Becoming a doctor in his 40's so he would have cred is amazing. I am especially impressed with the breath-taking reversal in his lipid profile. I am not sure if a doctor would officially diagnose me T2 because my fasting numbers are good; but, my postprandials are horrible. I simply can not eat more than 15 gms carbs without having 1 hour BG exceed 140. Heck, i go above 140 (1 hr) after eating a bowl of broccoli and brussels spouts. Dr Bernstein explains this phenomenon when he says eating pebbles (distending intestine) will spike a diabetics BG. I don't like it, but I am slowly accepting the fact that I can not eat 75+ grams of carbs per day and the 6/12/12 looks like the right answer for me. I plan to follow this approach as well as I can and hope I get a big improvement in my lipid profile.
    Have you had an HbA1c test done? If not you might consider it. It gives you an average blood sugar level over 3 months.

  8. #8
    emmie's Avatar
    emmie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,299
    Artbuc-

    I'm glad you looked up Dr. Bernstein because he's the 'gold standard' when it comes to BG control, IMO. To allay your fears about eating 'too' low carb, I want you to know that I've been eating at approximate 20g carbs daily for almost 10 years--with nothing but positive results in my overall health.

    One reason I eat so few carbs is that I am extraordinarily sensitive to carbs, and my insulin shoots up dramatically at anything above 30g. However, I also try to follow Dr. Bernstein's advice about spreading out carbs throughout the day (6/12/12). I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are Type2, so I eat like a diabetic to avoid becoming one. My endo credits my low carb eating for the fact that I have not developed diabetes.

  9. #9
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Artbuc-

    I'm glad you looked up Dr. Bernstein because he's the 'gold standard' when it comes to BG control, IMO. To allay your fears about eating 'too' low carb, I want you to know that I've been eating at approximate 20g carbs daily for almost 10 years--with nothing but positive results in my overall health.

    One reason I eat so few carbs is that I am extraordinarily sensitive to carbs, and my insulin shoots up dramatically at anything above 30g. However, I also try to follow Dr. Bernstein's advice about spreading out carbs throughout the day (6/12/12). I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are Type2, so I eat like a diabetic to avoid becoming one. My endo credits my low carb eating for the fact that I have not developed diabetes.
    Thanks emmie. I shudder to think what I have done to myself over the last 5 decades of high carb eating, especially ice cream, cookies and other sweet stuff. I wonder how we can be so sensitive to carbs and not be T2? I do agree with the suggestion of getting my fasting insulin checked. I guess it is all moot if I just manage my carbs. I can tolerate them better in the morning so I will likely do 12/12/6. It would be impossible for me to maintain normal sugars postprandial without supplemental insulin so I do not have that goal. If I can keep my spikes below 140 and get back to baseline in 2-3 hours I will be happy.

    PS when you say your insulin "shoots up" do you mean BG or are you actually getting your insulin levels checked?
    Last edited by Artbuc; 09-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.

  10. #10
    Baba's Avatar
    Baba is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    By eating "crap", I assume you are referring to my pre-PB high carb days? I have binged on ice cream a couple times in the last few months, but my current spikes come almost entirely from brussel sprouts, broccoli, spinach, frozen strawberries, sweet potato and 90% dark chocolate.
    In that case it's probably really a good idea to measure fasting insulin and HBA1C to find out where you stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •