Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 80/10/10 raw veganism is more paleo than nutritional ketosis. page 3

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    The whole "living in atkins induction level full time" trend is pretty weird, even Atkins didn't recommend staying in that state. You would be cutting yourself extremely short on antioxidants/phytonutrients/caretonoids/polyphenols/flavonoids that protect against disease and aging.
    I think if people are going to give it a go it should be for an actual reason like seizure control or something, and you should definitely ease into it. It's also unlikely the inuit stayed ketogenic as freshly killed meat would contain significant carbs as glycogen and they also ate as much plant food and berries they could gather.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 09-02-2012 at 04:30 PM.

jammies is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    All I know is that over 50% of all girls I have known or met from these areas are vegetarian or vegan. It seems like a majority, not a minority.
    Interesting. I've only lived here a couple of years, but in that time I have only gotten to know two people who were vegetarian - one is hindu and the other buddist. The women I know here are all big foodies who are very adventurous meat eaters.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    IME - Offering up a binary This or That ONLY list of possibilities that ignores every option in between is silly. Keto or 80/10/10 as the only options? Really? One option annoys you so lets run to the other extreme to make our point? Meh. Keto is a survival trait, an adaptation that lets us forge ahead in less than optimal omnivorous conditions that some of us have turned into a handy fat burning tool to help move things along.

80/10/10 - sure, in tropical zones this is relatively easy for most of the year, but there are still fair swatches where those everlovin' tubers aren't necessarily available and the natives supplement with fish and shellfish. You need full blown jungle access to make this happen in the natural world (aka - sans farms and grocery stores).

Furthermore, many strategies bopping around the paleosphere are exclusive to correcting broken metabolisms or forcing off that last 10 lbs that the body really really didn't want to get rid of. IOW - Not for everlasting use but to get from point a to point b or point h to point q on the A-Z timeline.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    brahnamin, I tried clicking on the link in your sig but it seems to be password protected?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    brahnamin, I tried clicking on the link in your sig but it seems to be password protected?
    Yeah, it's down for site-maintenance. Might be awhile before I get it back online. Keep getting sidetracked with other projects.

I kinda go through these phases where I'm really into writing about paleo/primal stuff and other phases where I'm so busy out *doing* paleo/primal stuff that I have no time for writing - pretty much every summer, actually. As fall settles in and I spend more time doing my paleo/primal stuff at home I'll usually get into the writing more.

ETA - at an outside guess, mid October would be a good time to check back.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 09-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    How do they get their starch? From fruit, from tubers, from fucking palm trees (sago)
    How exactly does one get start by fucking palm trees? And would you happen to have video of this?

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Interesting. I've only lived here a couple of years, but in that time I have only gotten to know two people who were vegetarian - one is hindu and the other buddist. The women I know here are all big foodies who are very adventurous meat eaters.
    For one, I think tropics simply have that stuff more. I could be wrong. Secondly, I've read about the diet of a big tribe in Africa that lived in the desert. I want to say the !Kung San people of the Kalahari. They eat tons of nuts which have some carbs, and they have tons of kinds of melons and tubers they consume.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    How exactly does one get start by fucking palm trees? And would you happen to have video of this?
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 09-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.

homunculus is offline Member
    80/10/10 is the worst ever. I was constantly hungry and felt really weak. 92 pounds at 5ft7 wasn't exactly healthy...
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Okay, Blackcatbone, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.
    But no video for me, please!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast