Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 80/10/10 raw veganism is more paleo than nutritional ketosis. page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't know.

The indigenous humans of New Zealand ate the moa to extinction, and have particularly seasonal veggie foods: potato/sweet potato, a berry that has to be processed 17 times before it's edible, and several leafy greens that have seasons (there's a spinach, kavakava, and of course fiddleheads when they are in season, and a sort of "asparagus."

the rest of their diet -- which is to say the majority -- is seafood -- paua and other mussels, fish of all kinds, and eel are all on the maori fishing calendar (there are seasons).

Also, the maori sometimes ate each other (other tribes, usually -- and yes, there are documented cases).

The aboriginals of Australia seem to eat the indigenous animals and the indigenous fruit and veggies -- which also seem to have a season. I don't know a ton about their diets per se.

The aboriginals of the Americas have really diverse diets, but most of them are based in hunting and gathering, which also has distinct seasons, though many in the southwest north american and central american regions had the "three sisters" of maze, pumpkin, and beans (more cultivated foods), but also likely had the greatest food diversity and less animal diversity than those in the temperate bands who had more distinct seasons and times with snow.

Really, looking at the way humans ate before we had the sort of farming and distribution we have now -- people in the tropical bands tend to eat more fruit and coconuts and veg because it's more readily available, then in the temperate bands, it goes to a more "paleo" as we understand it today version with seasonal foods and meats/fat. And finally, you head farther north or into arid areas in any band, and you see a predominately meat/milk/blood based diet.

Just how it rolls out.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I left out seaweed and costal succulent herbs that the maori also used.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    sure i do

i have a very select and exclusive set of cares

but i have a question for you. think back, back to time immemorial. how would ancestral man have eaten 80% carbs?

sure, fruit is the easiest. but fruit season is short and fruit itself spoils quickly.

okay let's go to fall with, perhaps, starchy tubers. the edible tuber season is a few weeks at most.

80/10/10 is not paleo. nutritional ketosis is not paleo. back then man ate whatever he could find that he knew wouldn't kill him (and sometimes in famine he had to hope and guess that something growing was edible), through knowledge passed down vocally through elder tribe members who experienced poisoning or watched other tribe members die from eating poisonous plant matter

vast periods of famine with not long enough periods of feast are paleo. bug eating is paleo. hunting and inner organ eating is paleo. numbers counting is not
    You're assuming man in a climate such as what you describe. African climates have carby foods available for a much greater duration. However in a large study of current hunter-gatherers, not a single one was vegan. Pretty clear to me that vegan is not paleo.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    You're assuming man in a climate such as what you describe. African climates have carby foods available for a much greater duration. However in a large study of current hunter-gatherers, not a single one was vegan. Pretty clear to me that vegan is not paleo.
    AFAIK there has never been a vegan civilization in all of known prehistory OR history.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i addendumed in my next post
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

wiltondeportes Guest
    OP, I do agree there's a problem with eating to lose weight as being called "healthy" instead of eating to be virile, strong, and fast as "healthy".

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    AFAIK there has never been a vegan civilization in all of known prehistory OR history.
    You should visit San Francisco, Berkeley, Portland, and Olympia (WA).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    You should visit San Francisco, Berkeley, Portland, and Olympia (WA).
    San Francisco and Berkley? I can't even get through 10% of the amazing pasture raised meat restaurants available around here - pork belly prepared 5 ways, crispy peking duck, porchetta, whole fire roasted chickens....the bay area is a meat lovers paradise.
    Last edited by jammies; 09-02-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I'm sure there's been a few. They just didn't last more than a few months each.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    San Francisco and Berkley? I can't even get through 10% of the amazing pasture raised meat restaurants available around here - pork belly prepared 5 ways, crispy peking duck, pochetta, whole fire roasted chickens....the bay area is a meat lovers paradise.
    All I know is that over 50% of all girls I have known or met from these areas are vegetarian or vegan. It seems like a majority, not a minority.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast