Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those that have tried and stopped CrossFit - What Else Did you Do? page 2

lindenator is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
    ...since joining crossfit, and in fact I gained about 5 pounds, and I think a lot of that is the stress from the stupid 45 minute 'metcons' they do more often than not).
    I'm a month in (after dreaming about it for years) and I am really struggling with the return on investment as I as well have seen a general increase in strength but nothing crazy and a GAIN in weight and overall "bloaty" feeling. Not sure what to do, as I am preparing for Officer Candidate School for the Navy, but maybe PB fitness is the way to go.

mark2741 is offline Member
    Lindenator,

Look on the bright side - If I were preparing for OCS then I'd think that the mental toughness that CrossFit requires (particularly for the metcons, especially the longer ones) would be a great confidence builder. : )

mark

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    A few of you have mentioned that crossfit is expensive.
    What are we looking at here? Just out of curiosity.

mark2741 is offline Member
    Where I'm at it's between $130 and $145 (2x or 3x per week), and I think $155 for unlimited.

All the boxes around me are that range. Keep in mind it is not simply a gym so you can't compare it to regular gym. You do get good coaching (depending on the coach) that is often one-on-one.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    That's about the same amount as a martial arts school in my area will run you.
    Thanks for the reply.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    To clarify -
    They total workout time is usually a minimum of 45 minutes. If that ain't "chronic cardio" then I don't know what is.
    Seriously? 45 minutes doesn't come remotely close to "chronic cardio." You could jog at a steady state for 45 minutes and it's not chronic cardio. My lifting in the gym takes about 45 minutes to an hour and it's not chronic cardio (in fact, it's not cardio at all). PB isn't an excuse for laziness. Exercising can take an hour and it's fine. What Mark decries is extended periods of steady state cardio where you keep your heart rate above 85% of max. A slow jog for 45 minutes (assuming you're reasonably in shape) isn't chronic cardio. And Crossfit is anything but steady state. If anything, it's intervals, maybe some sprinting, etc.

That said, to answer your original question: Starting Strength. Work that for a few months until you have decent strength, then go from there.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm off CF right now because of costs. I had an awesome gym with good coaches, a serious lifting focus, and varied programming that wasn't all longmetcons all the time, but I'm too broke right now. Over the summer I've done a lot of bodyweight work and running, but with winter looming I need an indoor option, so I'm getting a pass to the city facilities that includes the gyms (which are well equipped), pools, and drop in classes such as yoga. For about $50/month, it's more affordable by far, but I need to decide what to do for programming.

I love CF, but right now we just can't swing the $300 per month we were spending for the two of us to go. At least my guy makes a good workout buddy. I'm thinking that Starting Strength might be a good way to go, combined with some interval work and swimming.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    ... this year decided to 'become an athlete' : )
    Have you considered going with a standard gym and adding on personal training? The cost may work out to be about the same, and you won't have the competitive/group pressure problem. I've never done CrossFit for just that reason, I know I'd end up hurting myself trying to push myself further than I'm ready to go. So instead I work out 2x/week with a personal trainer (in a mega-gym, LA Fitness) who understands and is excellent with the dynamic, varied, intense sort of workouts that CF does, but tailors them to me specifically. I've been working out with a trainer for years, so clearly I know the exercises and fundamentals by now, but I need the extra push of someone else, just not a lot of someone elses to compete with.

I've found that if you tell a good trainer that you want to become an athlete (or bring back the one you used to be), and then show them that by working your tail off and really pushing yourself (ask for more weight if you need to, or more intensity, or whatever to show that you're engaged in the process) in the first few sessions, you rapidly become a preferred client.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I did CF for a little while, and stopped for many of the same reasons. I think I would've loved it 10 years ago, but it's just a bit more intense than I want at this point in my life, and scheduling is hard for me. It turns out I had basically been doing CF on my own for years before I knew what it was.

Now I mix up my workouts a lot more than I used to. I'll lift heavy a couple days a week (different muscle groups), but often work in some pretty intense circuits using lots of varied exercises. I do a mix of bodyweight, heavy weights, and lighter weights, and add in some short/quick runs, jumps, etc. Deadlift and squat at least once a week. I'm a former gymnast (and still coach), so I have the bodyweight thing down pretty well. I've started using kettlebells/ropes, etc more often lately, and I went for a swim today when I had some free time. I just like doing different things often now instead of the chronic heavy repetitive lifting I did for a long time before. And I haven't lost any muscle (I think I look beefier with my shirt off now, actually).

The bottom line is find what works for you. Take what you like about CF, incorporate it into what you do, and experiment with everything else. I've been doing serious workouts since I was like 8 years old (32 now), and I've changed things up so many times over the years. I'm really comfortable where I am now. I can do push ups and pull ups until I get bored, am putting up substantially more iron in the weight room than most people much larger than me, and keep my workouts varied enough that it's not a chore to go any more. I'm a member at 24 Hour Fitness, and they have good drop-in yoga classes, outdoor boot camps, etc that I like to hit sometimes for variety, and I'm only paying like 25 bucks a month.

Working out is a journey, and you'll find what challenges you and keeps you motivated. And strong. And looking good shirtless.

Thistle5 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've never done Crossfit, my reintroduction into physical fitness came through the Army's Functional Fitness classes, which are offered free to soldiers & their families. It's similar to Crossfit, though, hour-long, mix of different weight-bearing & aerobic exercises. After doing it for 10 months, I was in the best shape I had been since I was a teenager (& I'm a long way from that now), then I had a medical condition (never determined properly, probably labyrinthitis) that ended my stint. I'm currently trying to work back to my previous level of fitness, & hope to resume classes in the next month. After all, what's the alternative?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast