Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The week of the pickled veggie... page 3

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    Drumroll..... Just saw this! How timely! I'm intrigued!!
    I agree that probiotics are EXTREMELY important for our long-term digestive and intestinal health. But I don't think we need to take expensive probiotic supplements. We can very easily get our probiotics simply by eating fermented foods. And there are lots of options.

Almost any fruit of vegetable can be fermented, people have fermented organ meats, even tea can be fermented. We call that one kombucha. It gets all wonderfully fizzy...

Come on over, I'll give you a taste of my veggies, you can see if you like 'em!
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-02-2012 at 05:03 PM.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Okay, tried the kombucha a few wks ago, totally grossed out- couldn't handle it.... Do you recommend any brands specifically? Oh and Id like to Buy fermented veggies and kraut. Recs?

You're awesome. Thanks drumroll

Okay, tried the kombucha a few wks ago, totally grossed out- couldn't handle it.... Do you recommend any brands specifically? Oh and Id like to Buy fermented veggies and kraut. Recs?

You're awesome. Thanks drumroll
    Kombucha isn't for everyone, that's true. You can make your own fermented veggies at home. Look for the link I posted earlier in this thread for more information on how. You can use almost any veggie you want really.

However, I would not recommend you buy the cheap sauerkraut and pickles sold at the store and expect them to do much. They've been kept in vinegar solutions for so long that most of their benefits have probably been eliminated. Oh, they might have some residual benefits, but you'd be better to find a local, fresh source. Look at local farmer's markets or find a local company and visit them directly.

Or, as I suggested before, you can make your own.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Ok! I went out and bought some kombucha after the gym this am. Horrible at first, but it grew on me. Drank about half, I'll save the rest for tmrw. it was the wholefoods version, so probably not the best, but better than nothing. How much do u drink drumroll?

The fermenting of veggies really isn't too complicated. I'm surprised haha. I think I may have found my next challenge!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    This is the book I started fermenting with Amazon.com: Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (9781931498234): Sandor Ellix Katz, Sally Fallon: Books. Lots of easy starter ferments in there. He has another called "The Art of Fermentation", but it is quite a bit heavier in other areas....not so much a starter recipe guide. This is the first one I did http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/. I never liked sauerkraut till I made my own.

Ok! I went out and bought some kombucha after the gym this am. Horrible at first, but it grew on me. Drank about half, I'll save the rest for tmrw. it was the wholefoods version, so probably not the best, but better than nothing. How much do u drink drumroll?

The fermenting of veggies really isn't too complicated. I'm surprised haha. I think I may have found my next challenge!
    I don't drink a lot of kombucha, actually. Just on occassion. I don't like the store brands because they don't usually let them ferment long enough to eliminate all of the sugars from the brew.

A friend of mine in college used to make it, and he'd let it sit to the point that almost all of the sugar had been consumed by the bacteria. That stuff was STRONG. But that's a great thing first thing in the morning because it REALLY wakes you up! Yum!

Fermenting veggies is easy. The only reason I don't do it is because my roommate would probably complain about the stench of the process. He complains every time I even pull out the ones I buy at the farmer's market.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Do you recommend any brands specifically? Oh and Id like to Buy fermented veggies and kraut. Recs?
    As soon as I'm back in the States, I'm ordering some of these. Nice thing is they're on the East coast like you, so they're fairly local. Cultured Vegetables - CULTURED VEGETABLES, SHOP-IMMUNITRITION

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    This is the book I started fermenting with Amazon.com: Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (9781931498234): Sandor Ellix Katz, Sally Fallon: Books. Lots of easy starter ferments in there. He has another called "The Art of Fermentation", but it is quite a bit heavier in other areas....not so much a starter recipe guide. This is the first one I did http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/. I never liked sauerkraut till I made my own.
    I grew up on store bought sauerkraut and really liked it. I read through Wild Fermentation and then attempted my own. Now I absolutely love the stuff and it is super easy to make...bonus!
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123