Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Primal and having kids. page

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member

Eating Primal and having kids.

Most of the people that I know who are 100% primal either don't have kids, or have kids that are much older. I have young children and eating complete 100% primal meals can be challenging, and expensive at the same time. Luckily my kids will eat almost anything we cook, but they do love their chicken nuggets and so on.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I have a 2yo boy and 4yo girl. We are 100% primal except for ice cream treats. We basically do meat, veggies, and often potatoes for dinners. We do eat dairy, so have cheese, yogurt, and milk for the kids. Favorites are meat loaf, meatballs, and chicken fingers. The chicken fingers are made by dipping in egg and parmesan cheese, then baking.

Was there a question you had?

I have two boys a 5yo and a 2yo, almost same ages. I was kind of vague without a question, but I was just wondering some of the meal patterns from others. I like the sound of that chicken finger recipe. My kids love cheese as well, so I do. We also have milk and yogurt for the kids. I think I make eating Primal come complicated than it really is, and really tend to over analyze it.

Thanks for the input!

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    He has no questions, he is just here to troll.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    There was nothing wrong with his post.

Keep it simple.. you do seem to over analyze and over think it which complicates it. Think meat, veggies, good fats (butter, olive oil). Kids can have potatoes, rice, quinoa, and you can, too, if you're not carb intolerant. There are substitutions for things. You could use almond meal for chicken nuggets, also.

You could make them quinoa "mac" n cheese:
    The Very Popular…Moni’s Quinoa Mac N’ Cheese | Monica Nelson Fitness
    (obviously leave out the bread crumbs and use heavy cream as your milk choice)

Substitutions:
    Low Carb Substitutes for High Carb Foods | Mark's Daily Apple

Primal Recipes:
    C.A. Wilson (cawilson) on Pinterest

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    You just have to think about alternatives... if your kids like turkey sandwiches make them some rolled up turkey slices with cheese. If they like yogurt buy the plain kind and sweeten it yourself with raw honey or pure maple syrup. If they like oatmeal make them breakfast quinoa:
    Coconut Milk Breakfast Quinoa. | How Sweet It Is
    or blueberry cocomeal:
    Blueberry Stuffed Low Carb "Cocomeal" - Foodie Fiasco

There are just so many things you can do and you will be giving your kids such a healthy start and healthy habits!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    just feed them sandwiches and no meat.

seriously? it's not like they are old enough to cook for themselves.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    There was nothing wrong with his post.

Keep it simple.. you do seem to over analyze and over think it which complicates it. Think meat, veggies, good fats (butter, olive oil). Kids can have potatoes, rice, quinoa, and you can, too, if you're not carb intolerant. There are substitutions for things. You could use almond meal for chicken nuggets, also.

You could make them quinoa "mac" n cheese:
    The Very Popular…Moni’s Quinoa Mac N’ Cheese | Monica Nelson Fitness
    (obviously leave out the bread crumbs and use heavy cream as your milk choice)

Substitutions:
    Low Carb Substitutes for High Carb Foods | Mark's Daily Apple

Primal Recipes:
    C.A. Wilson (cawilson) on Pinterest
    Good stuff, thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Our kids eat cereals for breakfast still (although we are about to 'promote' our 8yo to bacon and eggs to help eliminate food issues).

Lunches and snacks tend to be either reheated leftovers or fruit/nuts/cheese. We get raw milk for the kids too.

And dinner is the same thing that we would eat (right now it's winter, so usually a casserole/roast/stir fry).

Our 'cheat' meal is fish and chips, where one gets a hotdog, another get 3 chicken nuggets, and another gets a battered fish. Life's too short to be a food nazi with kids (we don't use wheat at home, but don't regulate their consumption of it when we are not eating home-cooked).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not sure what your point is! I think there are a range of people eating primal, and naturally some will have kids, some won't, some will have young kids, some middlish kids, and some older kids. Some kids will eat primal and others will resist. My kids are middlish, which I agree is a difficult sort of age group when it comes to trying to get them to change their eating habits. Had they been younger, it'd probably be easier, as they wouldn't be so influenced by outside sources... (they're 10-14). I'm really trying to encourage the 14 year old to drop sugars/grains, as he's overweight. The others... well I'd like to see them adopt this way of eating, but I don't want to push too hard only to see them rebel (which I know many kids raised on strict diets do... not that it's "strict" more that it's just "different" from the way their peers eat).

As it is, when I cook the evening meal, it tends to be primal by default. There are nights where there's no time to cook a regular meal (like Thursdays where we're all out of the house until 9pm), but the rest of the time I feed them meat and veg. For lunch, though, they like to have grain products (sandwich or wrap). My youngest will eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, but the middle one gets sick of it and hates eggs (he was eating oatmeal for awhile, and has now turned to tinned pears, he'll also eat yoghurt but only if it's sweet). I don't let myself get overly stressed about them (I worry more about the oldest, although he's pretty good eating mostly primal now... he does get a bit resentful that he can't eat what his siblings eat, though).

But at the end of the day you can make up excuses for anything. The old "I can't eat primal because my kids don't like it" is just an excuse. It doesn't matter HOW old your kids are you can still change your diet. Even if they eat non-primal stuff at school or at friend's houses, it's not that big of a deal. Set the right example yourself and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast