Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife loves popcorn. Is it really so bad? page

CANIable is offline Junior Member

My wife loves popcorn. Is it really so bad?

Primal Fuel
    I know now that corn is a grain, which I didn't know till day before yesterday, but is popcorn really so bad in moderation? What is a good substitute I can sneak into the movies with me besides nut or seeds?

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your idea of 'moderation'. I'll have pizza maybe once a month as a treat, and I don't worry I'll keel over and die. Same goes with popcorn, beer, ice cream etc etc. But I don't think you can have 'moderation' with eliminating grains. You can either eliminate them completely, or not. Moderation to me implies your wife is eating popcorn multiple times a week.

Take fruit slices into the cinema with you, dates, jerky, sweet potato chips. Kale chips have all the saltiness and crunch of popcorn that might satisfy your wife. Be creative!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    we mostly don't eat at movies, by way of eating before and being full.

that being said, i don't think popcorn is a terrible evil on occasion; we probably have it once or twice a year (usually are more tempted by corn chips with my salsa!).

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Popcorn itself isn't so bad - it's pretty airy and actually doesn't have too much in the way of "stuff" in it.

On the other hand - look out for the fake "butter" sauce they put on it. There's all kinds of nastiness in the "butter" in movie theater popcorn. There's even a disease known as "popcorn lung" associated with people that work in movie theaters or plants where the stuff is made, associated with inhaling vapors from the fake butter mixture.

Short version: Plain popcorn - don't worry about it. Fake butter additive - avoid at all costs.

homunculus is offline Member
    Avoid popcorn made of GMO corn and you're good, unless she has some autoimmune issues
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I have popcorn as a treat. I ordered Amish popcorn (non-GMO). I refuse to eat GMO popcorn. Here's how I make it:

1 HUGE spoonful of coconut oil in a medium size pan
    Turn on stove to med-high heat and melt oil
    Add 1/3 cup popcorn cover and let pop
    You don't have to shake with coconut oil it won't burn, but remove from heat as soon as they stop popping.
    Then I dump in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with lots of nutritional yeast (tastes cheesy), salt, pepper, and cayenne.

I won't have this for awhile because I'm really sticking to low carb to lose the last 10 lbs., but I was having it about once a week and see no problem with having it.

http://www.amishcountrypopcorn.com/

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I won't have this for awhile because I'm really sticking to low carb to lose the last 10 lbs., but I was having it about once a week and see no problem with having it.

Popcorn | Wholesale Popcorn | Popcorn Bags | Amish Country Popcorn
    When I first started my journey, I was 3 cups every night, cuz I heard it was good for you. I lost my first 40 lbs that way before I found primal.

I still like it once in awhile. I like the crunch I think. I use CO on the stove in hand crank popper. I get it from my Dutch store, which is a Mennonite Store but in Amish country also.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    we mostly don't eat at movies, by way of eating before and being full.
    this.

i used to plow through a bag of popcorn no probz at the movies, but i cannot eat just a little of the stuff. now, i just drink water and don't mindlessly snack at the movies, ever.

besides, most movie theaters use garbage corn and rancid oil. yuk. my 20% is sooooooooooooooo not going there.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Ya... I don't eat at the movie theatre, either. I just enjoy and concentrate on the movie... no reason to eat there.

SentWest is offline Member
    I am a total popcorn addict, however, I cut it out completely when I began my Primal/Paleo WOE.

The best advise I've heard about popcorn is as follows: If not for the buttery, salty topping, would you really be so interested in eating it? Does dry, white popcorn sound appealing? If not, then find other good buttery salty snacks that aren't grain based as a substitute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast