Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I work for CW doctors and sometimes their advice makes me cringe

Hybrid View

I work for CW doctors and sometimes their advice makes me cringe

I do medical transcription remotely for oncologists. I just finished a report that seriously had me cringing. It was for a moderately overweight female patient who is recovering from the treatment for acute myeloid leukemia and has the symptoms of fatigue and lack of appetite. Patient has recently lost 11 pounds but claims that she is eating the same.

The nurse practitioner counseled the patient that not eating is not a good way to lose weight because she will continue to feel fatigue but then counsels the patient to use Boost or Ensure in addition to possibly protein powders. She actually used the words Boost and Ensure in the same sentence as healthy eating.

They recommend Boost or Ensure quite frequently and have also recommended Carnation Instant Breakfast on more than one occasion.

These are really good, well-respected oncologists, too. It just makes me sad that they are so smart about one aspect, but not about the nutrition part of it.

Ugh... so sad

In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I think it's common for most docs to recommend Ensure to cancer patients...I agree, it makes me cringe too.

I think it is common, Solstice, but it's just so sad. The occasional report I've seen from the nutritionist on staff has also advocated the use of supplements like that. CW at its finest.

It's devastating because the right nutrition could be the key to these patients survival and they're drinking Ensure. It just makes me sick. It's just hard to believe that we live in such a time that this is the norm and that it's considered the right practice... the right advice.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    It's devastating because the right nutrition could be the key to these patients survival and they're drinking Ensure. It just makes me sick. It's just hard to believe that we live in such a time that this is the norm and that it's considered the right practice... the right advice.
    Completely agree. I'm also appalled by the lack of nutrition classes/training it takes to become a doctor! We literally are what we eat - shouldn't that be the biggest component of diagnosing and treating illness? It seems almost impossible that the nutritional aspect of medical training will improve, as it is completely antithetical to Big Pharma...and I find that sad beyond belief. These poor people go to their doctors looking for help, and instead they get a good dose of whatever watered-down death will benefit these multi-billion dollar industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post
    Completely agree. I'm also appalled by the lack of nutrition classes/training it takes to become a doctor! We literally are what we eat - shouldn't that be the biggest component of diagnosing and treating illness? It seems almost impossible that the nutritional aspect of medical training will improve, as it is completely antithetical to Big Pharma...and I find that sad beyond belief. These poor people go to their doctors looking for help, and instead they get a good dose of whatever watered-down death will benefit these multi-billion dollar industries.
    Yes. I would add "do no harm" to it as well. I ended up in the hospital near death a little over a year ago. I can thank my quick recovery on the fact that in my 50's I was fit and healthy. I ended up there due to a pneumonia and dehydration from a recently diagnosed CC. While I was there (3 weeks) I could eat almost nothing because I'm gluten and dairy intolerant. I was shocked at the lack of provisions for someone like myself with a special diet. The next time I went to my gastro and told him how I was eating, grain and dairy free, he says "you don't have to be that strict. My mouth fell open and I got mad. This same person wanted me off the one med that controlled the big D and every time I tried within 24 hours symptoms would appear again...I told him, he said, "Well wear a diaper" as though that was an option to strive for. WTF!!! I finally figured out, on my own, that I had MAST cell involvement and taking an antihistamine and avoiding high histamine foods solved my problem. I haven't been back. It's criminal.

Oh, whilst in the hospital they pushed Ensure on me...LOL

It's amazing that they don't know about bone broth. Oh yah...I forgot...it's not marketed by a pharmaceutical company.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    It's amazing that they don't know about bone broth. Oh yah...I forgot...it's not marketed by a pharmaceutical company.
    You have to consider that you're talking to a cancer patient who may not have the energy or follow-through to be cooking exotic food items. It's not like you can buy bone broth in an average store. Medical advice sometimes requires you to weigh the ideal against the practical.

Quote Originally Posted by jribb View Post
    You have to consider that you're talking to a cancer patient who may not have the energy or follow-through to be cooking exotic food items. It's not like you can buy bone broth in an average store. Medical advice sometimes requires you to weigh the ideal against the practical.
    Bullshit...what are u a med student? Take it as a lesson then. Each patient deserves better than a "just cover my ass history" and diagnosis. Become more than whats expected of you and DONT count your patient out until they do so themselves. By that I mean suggest THE BEST care schedule and recommendations IN YOUR estimation. Leave it up to the patient to decide if it is worth their time and money. It's their health and as a "Health Professional" it's up to you to give them the best option.....even if they end up opting for the worse.