Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I work for CW doctors and sometimes their advice makes me cringe page 5

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    There are so many things to consider with healthcare though, and it's not going to change overnight. I work at a medical centre and live with med students.

I mean, for example, people talking about being accused of being alcoholics or drug users because of certain ailments etc... The nurses and doctors are human. You too would be frustrated at constantly seeing people coming in ill because they're abusing themselves with alcohol and drugs. We have so many drug abusers coming into the clinic every day with various problems. It's not good for the doctors and nurses to become bitter and start projecting onto other patients that they must be abusing drugs or alcohol but you must understand how it can happen. It's all about perspective.
    Do you know how many medical personnel abuse drugs? One of my old roommates lost her job as a nurse when she was caught stealing drugs from the hospital to feed her addiction. Addictions among medical personnel is a fairly common problem that is just not discussed much because we are supposed to have a high level of trust in the people who treat us.

The legal bullshit with healthcare makes me so angry. No wonder doctors don't want to take risks and try alternatives... they'll get sued to within an inch of their life!
    The problem is not with lawsuits. The problem is that doctors have to operate within certain guidelines set by the AMA. If they operate outside those guidelines they can lose their license and possibly even go to prison. Alternative medicines are outside the guidelines of the AMA.

The expectations on doctors are insane. Since when is someone else more responsible for your health than you are?? We get these patients coming back the next day after seeing the doc for a virus demanding to be seen again for free and to be prescribed an antibiotic. People have this attitude that they pay a doctor to fix them. It's YOUR body. It's not like a car where you pay someone to replace a tyre or whatever, it doesn't work like that with a human body. And don't even get me started on people demanding antibiotics when they only have a cold/flu and don't understand how they fucking work whatsoever.
    This goes both ways. Doctors will often prescribe antibiotics for colds and flu knowing they won't do anything. The last doctor I went to pulled this on me prescribing penicillin for what he said was a cold. I have refused to go to a doctor ever since, and that was 31 years ago. Of course working with so many of these idiots and watching mistake after mistake did not give me any more confidence in doctors. I can tell you tons of horror stories about doctor mistakes I personally witnessed. And many of these could have been avoided with a basic knowledge of medicine.

Moll is offline Member
    This is not meant to be insulting to anyone, or to be a blanket statement - just an interesting piece of info. My boss, who was born and raised in China, says that in China becoming a doctor is for the "dumb people." That's a direct quote. The smart people go into fields like engineering (which, from what she said, is due to the ability to "think" and not just memorize things). That being said, one of my friends is in med school right now and I believe him to be a thoughtful person who is quite capable of critical thinking skills.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I only have an ordinary experience dealing with doctors. I have gone in over the years for various complaints, and unless my complaints were for something really straightforward, like something needs to be frozen off my skin or I need travel medications, the only thing I've ever gotten from my doctor were "prescriptions" for over-the-counter allergy or pain medications, blood tests that always came out fine and admonitions to just take it easy for a while. My dentist gave me a prescription for antibiotics but instead I just waited out the infection. Took a month or more but I lived.

Turns out all the various somewhat vague complaints I have had were easily cured with diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    ... I am removing myself from this conversation before I start saying things I may regret. This is a real hot button issue for me.
    That's exactly what I did and for the same reason...LOL

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    I used to like Mercola, but he has gotten to the point where he simply parrots whatever is popular at the time on the internet without bothering to check if the claims are factual. I have written various posts elsewhere debunking so many of his claims with actual evidence. Particularly his bogus claims about soy and claims he has made about cancer.

He also tends to contradict himself. For example, he bashes soy since he is on the payroll of the Weston Price Foundation. But the things he claims are toxic in soy such as phytoestrogens, protease inhibitors, phytic acid (inositol hexaphosphate), etc. are also found in flax seed that Mercola claims is a "superfood". Flax seed for example contains nearly 4 times higher levels of phytoestrogens than raw soy and even a higher level compared to cooked or fermented soy.

He also produces a concentrated resveratrol, which is a phytoestrogen. Yet he falsely claims that phytoestrogens cause cancer birth, defects, etc. Therefore, in my opinion he just says and does whatever it takes to make a buck with no regard to facts.
    I thank both you and PB for information regarding Mercola.

I love this place and feel like I've found a real home here...it makes me happy.

Suncountry is offline Junior Member
    Over the past two years both my parents were treated for cancer and passed within about 6-8 months of diagnosis. No doctor in their treatment ever suggested nutrition might play a role in their healing or how they felt. They actually encouraged them to eat whatever they wanted (including Boost and Ensure :O). Meals and snacks were mostly carbs, with liberal doses of sweet deserts. Sometimes meals were donuts... While it pained me, I gave them whatever they wanted and tried not to nag about nutrition.

How I wish the doctors would have been telling them the same things I was reading in all the books I was reading on cancer (and the role of nutrition). I have been mostly paleo for over a year and low carb for many years. I eat this way because I feel so much better. After seeing the impact of cancer and notice the increase of it in our society.. hopefully I am giving myself the best chance to live cancer free.

primalperson1 is offline Junior Member
    That's sad....I know what you mean though cuz my brother was in the same position, and he died from liver cancer. I decided that I would learn from watching him and a neighbor die from cancer. They were both young--about 60 years old and seemingly healthy until diagnosis. This is why I've changed my whole diet. I don't want to get cancer. Dr. Gundry of Diet Evolution has been most helpful regarding anti cancer diet. Check out the website or the Facebook page.
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Suncountry View Post
    Over the past two years both my parents were treated for cancer and passed within about 6-8 months of diagnosis. No doctor in their treatment ever suggested nutrition might play a role in their healing or how they felt. They actually encouraged them to eat whatever they wanted (including Boost and Ensure :O). Meals and snacks were mostly carbs, with liberal doses of sweet deserts. Sometimes meals were donuts... While it pained me, I gave them whatever they wanted and tried not to nag about nutrition.

How I wish the doctors would have been telling them the same things I was reading in all the books I was reading on cancer (and the role of nutrition). I have been mostly paleo for over a year and low carb for many years. I eat this way because I feel so much better. After seeing the impact of cancer and notice the increase of it in our society.. hopefully I am giving myself the best chance to live cancer free.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    If you want a doctor with an extensive nutrition education, then look for Naturopathic doctors. They aren't licensed in every state but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Graduates from Bastyr and NCNM have hundreds of hours in pharmacology, pathology, and A&P, just like conventional doctors, but they also receive tons of training in nutrition and the biochemistry behind it. Sure, there are some stupid ND's, just like MD's, but you can guarantee they aren't going to recommend Ensure or other junk to anyone with cancer.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Lots of horror stories about MDs, if Drs are truly so horrible, you wonder why anyone goes to them, ever. Point is, when someone' breaks a hip or has crushing chest pain or the worst headache of their life, no one heads over to their naturopath, they all go to the ER and then blame everyone there for what's happening to them and you bet they don't want to hear anything about "cutting out nightshades," they all want MRIs, CTs, angio, etc.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Lots of horror stories about MDs, if Drs are truly so horrible, you wonder why anyone goes to them, ever. Point is, when someone' breaks a hip or has crushing chest pain or the worst headache of their life, no one heads over to their naturopath, they all go to the ER and then blame everyone there for what's happening to them and you bet they don't want to hear anything about "cutting out nightshades," they all want MRIs, CTs, angio, etc.
    You correctly point out that conventional medicine is good at EMERGENCY medicine. Most anything else and it's a pill for this and surgery for that, when "cutting out nightshades" could very well get rid of those headaches. Basically, if you don't want to get severely ill in the first place, an ND is a better bet.
    Last edited by jkr; 09-11-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast