Page 92 of 728 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192592 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your workout today? page 92

asylum1968 is offline Junior Member

Moving, moving, and more moving...

Moving day today, so I woke up to a nice ROM session, a cup of coffee, then a quick little "100 Rep Challenge" consisting of (for time):

20 push up
    10 muscle up
    10 burpee
    10 pistol (r)
    10 pistol (l)
    20 plyo pull ups (clap hands)
    10 planche dips
    10 l-sit ring pull-ups

Then spent the rest of the day hauling heavy boxes and cases in extremely hot weather. Good times.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Vick, well, in essense it IS the exercise making me stronger... It is the stimulation of resistance training, and then of course resting those muscles for a few days. It is the RECOVERY time that I have a hard time accepting! In my type of training, i.e. not going to failure, I find that two days a week of heavy lifting is sufficient and progressive.

And yes... Great progress!!! You can tell your arms a little thicker. I think it all really depends on your goals, though. For instance, as a personal trainer, I wouldn't reccomend this protocol for somebody looking to improve their functional strength and power. I still strongly stand behind focusing on the basic movement patterns: pull-up, push-up, press, squat, deadlift. These necessary movements cannot improve without practice. Have you ever tried a traditional weight lifting day, just doing setsxreps?

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Walked around an outdoor outlet mall, to engage in some good old American consumerism to get some stuff for school, for about three hours.
    Then I took a thirty minute brisk walk when I got home. Now I'm going to exercise my fingers by working on my thesis
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    Now I'm going to exercise my fingers by working on my thesis
    sorry to hear, that sounds depressing as hell
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    @rphlslv

Fear is a bitch, It is a double edged sword. Doing what you do is creating improvement through synaptic facilitation. The body improves the nervous system's contact to the muscles to make you stronger without building muscle mass. This is important because more muscle mass requires more food for you to find. (Millions of years of looking for food means the body can't relate to a grocery store.) The body strives for efficiency without increasing muscle mass. Time off will reduce some of your gains.

Taking the body to failure shocks the body. If you can't move after exercising even for a minute it means you can't find food, but you potentially become food for a predator to take advantage of. The body instinctively understands that immobility is not a desired position to be in. However when you go to that point you must allow the body to heal and then adapt by growing stronger. Studies show over 80% of the population require 6-7 days before they are ready to train again but when they do they are stronger.

That is the basic difference in the training methods. Overtraining occurs when you take the body to failure but you don't give it time to heal. Training but not to failure will improve synaptic facilitation and strength but it will not support long term muscle growth.

The body will eventually find a way to reduce the muscle so that it requires less calories to survive.

That is why old people lose their mobility. They allow themselves to lose their muscle mass.

Long term you need to put muscle mass ahead of strength, then strength will look after itself because you are increasing your muscle mass.
    This is already working great for me, but thanks for the suggestion.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Today... today was just sprints and handstand holds. I'm still against a wall for the handstands, hands are probably 2/3 of a foot from the wall. Tried to emphasize my left arm more today, as I'm slowly in the process of correcting some muscular imbalances in my body. Did... oh, I don't know, seven or so holds and a variety of sprints ranging from 25-100 yards.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Vick,

You are incorrect in your statement... Training without going to failure WILL support long term muscle growth, and WILL put on muscle mass. Actually, many trainers strictly advise NOT to go to failure, in order to keep the CNS "fresh" in order to train the muscle more frequently, building MASS more quickly through primarily sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

I'm not sure exactly what Raphael's goals are, or how big he wants to get. Different training methods should be considered whether he's looking for a powerlifting physique or a bodybuilding physique. But going until failure is not really necessary in either case to build strength or mass.

For strength, powerful movements should be implimented... Doing a 3x5 or a 5x5 routine of presses, squats and deadlifts like Raphael is doing will definitely grow long term strength, I'm not sure why you would say it wouldn't, as long as you keep changing the weight and pushing yourself a little more each time. However, Raphael, if your goal is too build big, bulky muscles, I would suggest doing a higher rep scheme. And eat like a monster. I'm not sure why you were fasting all the time if muscle mass was your goal. Hmm...

Tried to workout today, but the fire was missing. Probably won't have time this weekend, but I'm not too concerned... :-) Last week up north!

Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    Vick,

You are incorrect in your statement... Training without going to failure WILL support long term muscle growth, and WILL put on muscle mass. Actually, many trainers strictly advise NOT to go to failure, in order to keep the CNS "fresh" in order to train the muscle more frequently, building MASS more quickly through primarily sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

I'm not sure exactly what Raphael's goals are, or how big he wants to get. Different training methods should be considered whether he's looking for a powerlifting physique or a bodybuilding physique. But going until failure is not really necessary in either case to build strength or mass.

For strength, powerful movements should be implimented... Doing a 3x5 or a 5x5 routine of presses, squats and deadlifts like Raphael is doing will definitely grow long term strength, I'm not sure why you would say it wouldn't, as long as you keep changing the weight and pushing yourself a little more each time. However, Raphael, if your goal is too build big, bulky muscles, I would suggest doing a higher rep scheme. And eat like a monster. I'm not sure why you were fasting all the time if muscle mass was your goal. Hmm...

Tried to workout today, but the fire was missing. Probably won't have time this weekend, but I'm not too concerned... :-) Last week up north!
    I think Vick meant that for optimal muscle growth one should do the 10 minute a week thing he talks about. He admits that it won't build strength the way a program like SS will. In turn I won't disagree that his program is good for muscle building - it probably is. However that's not to say that SS and other strength training programs won't result in mass gains, especially for beginners. Any novice will make muscle gains no matter what program they're on.

As for fasting, that was months and months ago. I quit that - it was lots of wasted time.

You are right about the higher reps. In simple terms (and probably too simplified): High reps = more muscle, less strength; low reps = more strength, less muscle (going to failure doesn't seem to be important at all). My training falls under the latter category, and I admit I'm not building a lot of mass, but it's okay. I believe strength needs to come first in order to build a solid foundation, and I'm going to keep that up because I'm chasing a 3 plate squat and I think it will come sooner than I expect.

Anyways, to add to the thread. I was brutally sore today from doing 3 heavy deadlift singles yesterday, so I did nothing all day but ate 5,500 calories if my calculations are right.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    sorry to hear, that sounds depressing as hell
    It is not too bad; I picked a fun little topic to investigate: humor and attraction. Pretty much, I'm using my master's degree as an excuse to see how being funny could help picking up a lady friend. Am I creepy or what

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Anyways, to add to the thread. I was brutally sore today from doing 3 heavy deadlift singles yesterday, so I did nothing all day but ate 5,500 calories if my calculations are right.
    5500? That sounds magically delicious! I'm a little envious of you though in that category; even on my most active days I have trouble scarfing down 2500-2700 calories. It is just way too filling.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today: Helped dad move and install a new fridge and washer/dryer in the new house. Later did 5 x sprints (length of my high school baseball field) + burpees (10,10,8,6,6, collapse). Plenty of gasping like a dying fish on the perfect, perfect grass too. Shirtless, summertime in Oregon. Lovely.

Mr Burpee, not so lovely.