Page 624 of 675 FirstFirst ... 124524574614622623624625626634674 ... LastLast
Results 6,231 to 6,240 of 6744

Thread: What is your workout today? page 624

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarfan85 View Post
    Today I attempted to squat 205lb 5x5 and something about it didn't feel right. I think I'm experiencing a new kind of sore, like in my pelvic/groin area. Inwards from my hips. when I was just warming up with the bar I couldn't squat down all the way without it being real sore. So I did a few warm up sets and I just couldn't "break it in". It was still sore. So I put on 205 and it was so damn heavy, I ended up doing 4 reps. I could have did 5 but something didn't feel right.

I feel as the weight gets heavier, the more I question my form and thats what zaps away my confidence and prevents me from finishing my workout. Is that what they call the placebo effect?. I read on this forum somewhere someone was giving advice on squatting and they said, think of it as sitting back rather than sitting down. Every since I read that I've been thinking about my form and I think I'm more sitting down than back. But maybe that's just my body architecture; I don't know. Because I feel like I'll fall back if I try to "sit back". Though there's no real way to tell until i video record myself and watch.

So its a mixture of the weight being damn heavy, me second guess my form, and still being sore from earlier this week.

Anyways, something tells me that I need to take a whole week off from the gym!
    Yeah, deloads are necessary from time to time. Better to heal up than to truly injure yourself, since that will take longer to recover from than a deload week will.

It is possible to shift your weight too far back. Most people go so far forward onto their toes when squatting that telling them to sit back and put the weight in their heels works, but for other people these cues aren't right.

I just recently read the squatting chapter of Starting Strength so I feel like an expert in the low bar squat now :-) The "master cue", if I recall correctly, is to keep the weight in a vertical track balanced over your midfoot. That seems to help. Other good ones are "knees out" and "neck straight".

Is the pain toward your back (sacrum), or more forward (adductor muscles)?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Oh, much better! Love my home dip setup.....now I can place them at the exact width I need. That plus my shoulder feeling a bit better = decent dip day

+80x9

Now if I lose 20lbs I can enter the +100lb challenge as a contender!

guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Yeah, deloads are necessary from time to time. Better to heal up than to truly injure yourself, since that will take longer to recover from than a deload week will.

It is possible to shift your weight too far back. Most people go so far forward onto their toes when squatting that telling them to sit back and put the weight in their heels works, but for other people these cues aren't right.

I just recently read the squatting chapter of Starting Strength so I feel like an expert in the low bar squat now :-) The "master cue", if I recall correctly, is to keep the weight in a vertical track balanced over your midfoot. That seems to help. Other good ones are "knees out" and "neck straight".

Is the pain toward your back (sacrum), or more forward (adductor muscles)?
    I would say I feel the soreness more towards my front. And as far as I can tell, I'm apply equal pressure across my whole foot. I don't feel that I'm leaning either too far forward or too far back.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfan85 View Post
    I would say I feel the soreness more towards my front. And as far as I can tell, I'm apply equal pressure across my whole foot. I don't feel that I'm leaning either too far forward or too far back.
    Good that you're keeping the weight over the midfoot.

I guess it could be an adductor/groin muscle pull, depending on the exact location. Those can take a looong time to heal if they are serious. I had one a few years ago that took several months to completely resolve. I probably prolonged the recovery time by continuing to squat and sprint though :-)

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Deadlift: 385 x 1, 335 x 4, 335 x 4, 315 x 4

Leg Press: 270 x 6, 360 x 6, 450 x 6-5-4-3-2-1 ( Cluster set with 10 seconds between clusters )
    Leg Ext: 80 x 30 secs down, 30 secs up, 30 secs down.

Calves x 2 sets

Shoulders x 4 sets

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Meet taper. 10 days out.

Squat: 295 x 5, 335 x 3, 375 x 0, 375 x 0 (dammit!)
    The 335 felt so easy. Thought I had it despite some bad sleep recently.

Bench: 185 x 5, 210 x 3 (long pause on rep 3), 235 x 1 (short pause), 185 x 10 x 3
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Meet taper. 10 days out.

Squat: 295 x 5, 335 x 3, 375 x 0, 375 x 0 (dammit!)
    The 335 felt so easy. Thought I had it despite some bad sleep recently.

Bench: 185 x 5, 210 x 3 (long pause on rep 3), 235 x 1 (short pause), 185 x 10 x 3
    That sleep is critical, man. I went out of town this past weekend and stayed up late + didn't sleep or eat great Saturday or Sunday night. And I missed a rep on my squats on Monday. Granted, I've been thinking it's about time for a deload, but I feel pretty certain that with better sleep and eating over the weekend, I would have had it.

WaylandC is online now Senior Member
    Monday I did 10 sets of 6 reps with weight between 200 and 210 lbs. 2 min rest between sets. I don't know the exact weight because the bar isn't standard nor are the weights.

If you enjoy soreness, this is a pretty good way to get some haha. I don't squat often enough

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    That sleep is critical, man. I went out of town this past weekend and stayed up late + didn't sleep or eat great Saturday or Sunday night. And I missed a rep on my squats on Monday. Granted, I've been thinking it's about time for a deload, but I feel pretty certain that with better sleep and eating over the weekend, I would have had it.
    You're right. But 335 felt so light. I could have 7- or 8-repped it. Early to bed all week this week for sure. Still going after 405 next Saturday.
    The Champagne of Beards

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Squats. 200x11 on my 3s week. Seventh rep went squirrely but I saved it with some knee caving and good morninging....then cleaned it up and finished strong.

BBB assist was brutal though. Just did 5x10 squats and quit. Using the home gym now and didn't have the energy to think about what to replace leg curls with....RDLs seemed a good choice but just thinking of doing more work made me throw up a little in my mouth.