Thread: What is your workout today? page 533

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Workout of the Week last night:
    Stupid ab machine 2 min slow under load
    Leg extension to failure 2 min I think 100#
    Isometric leg curl contraction 30 sec 50%, 30 sec 75%, 30 sec 100% effort
    MedEx back machine 200# a little under 2 min
    Leg press 250# 2 min (up from about 120 in april)
    lat pulldown 170# 2 min (body weight is 155, up from 100 in april)
    chest press 100# 2 min (playing with pushing weight up due to plateau)
    horizontal row 70# 2 min

I am totally gassed after this workout (BBS-style, body by science).
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    12/30 5/3/1 day squats/bench

Squats: 270 x 5 / 310 x 3 / 345 x 2 (f) / 345 x 2 (f) (yeah, I did it again. Wasn't happy with the 2) new 2- and 1-rep PR.
    Bench: 180 x 5 / 200 x 3 / 225 x 2 (f) / 180 x 11
    Power Cleans: 155 x 1 x 7
    Chin-ups: (drop set: +100 x 1 / + 75 x 3 / +50 x 3 2nd Drop set: +50 x 5 / +25 x 3

a.m. bodyweight: 159.4
    The Champagne of Beards

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    12/30 5/3/1 day squats/bench

Squats: 270 x 5 / 310 x 3 / 345 x 2 (f) / 345 x 2 (f) (yeah, I did it again. Wasn't happy with the 2) new 2- and 1-rep PR.
    Bench: 180 x 5 / 200 x 3 / 225 x 2 (f) / 180 x 11
    Power Cleans: 155 x 1 x 7
    Chin-ups: (drop set: +100 x 1 / + 75 x 3 / +50 x 3 2nd Drop set: +50 x 5 / +25 x 3

a.m. bodyweight: 159.4

Damn. For your bodyweight that shit is beastly dude.

New Years Eve workout, test driving the new belt:

Squats: 155 kg x5 (341 lbs), 160 kg (352 lbs) 4x5 (PR)
    OHP: 70 kgs (154 lbs) 2x5, 1x3 (failure)
    Bench: 80 kgs (176 lbs) 3x10
    Deadlifts: 160 kg (341 lbs) x 5, 180 kg (396 lbs) x2 (failure)

Was really disappointed with my deadlifts. My upper back spasmed on my second deadlift warm up set... My lower back has done that to me before, but this was new. I pushed through it, but I just wasn't at my best. Really pissed me off.

The squats I'm very pleased about, though. This is 20 lbs over my old 5RM. The OHP is also a PR but I'm really pissed I didn't hit 3x5.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    Damn. For your bodyweight that shit is beastly dude.

New Years Eve workout, test driving the new belt:

Squats: 155 kg x5 (341 lbs), 160 kg (352 lbs) 4x5 (PR)
    OHP: 70 kgs (154 lbs) 2x5, 1x3 (failure)
    Bench: 80 kgs (176 lbs) 3x10
    Deadlifts: 160 kg (341 lbs) x 5, 180 kg (396 lbs) x2 (failure)

Was really disappointed with my deadlifts. My upper back spasmed on my second deadlift warm up set... My lower back has done that to me before, but this was new. I pushed through it, but I just wasn't at my best. Really pissed me off.

The squats I'm very pleased about, though. This is 20 lbs over my old 5RM. The OHP is also a PR but I'm really pissed I didn't hit 3x5.
    Well, I've squatted 335 and benched 215 for 5, so this was not my best performance, but thanks for the words of encouragement. Your lifts are coming along very nicely. A 20-pound PR on squats is just ridiculous. We should race to a 405 squat and 500 deadlift. I'll lose, but it will motivate me.
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, I've squatted 335 and benched 215 for 5, so this was not my best performance, but thanks for the words of encouragement. Your lifts are coming along very nicely. A 20-pound PR on squats is just ridiculous. We should race to a 405 squat and 500 deadlift. I'll lose, but it will motivate me.
    I'm down for it. And you're a good shot at the deadlifts especially. Squats, currently between form and confidence, I'm just in a good place there. My back has been rather tight and painful following training, so I think a 1-2 week forced deload is coming up, followed by some progressive reloading to get my feet wet again. It's nothing major as my lower back has tweaked like this a couple of times, but will slow me up a bit.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Mine tonight was working on my house. I'm remodeling an old house and the current project is digging out the crawl space. Luckily I'm doing it while there are no floors! So 2 hours of swinging the pick ax, shoveling up the dirt, and carrying out the two 5 gallon buckets full of dirt. Pick, shovel, carry, repeat. Yea!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    1st kettlebell S&S workout:

10 turkish get ups with shoe
    50 swings (55lb)
    10 turkish half get ups (55lbs)

Gonna work my way up to the full get up over the course of the next few weeks to make sure I don't wreck my shoulders. I could tell I was "muscling" it just to do the half. If I was holding the beast it wouldn't have gone well for me . Besides I've read several accounts of health practitioners (both my field and PTs) using the 1/2 get up to rehab old shoulder problems. Figure its a good place to start.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    I've been kind of sick of lifting weights recently, and gotten more interested in calisthenics. For a while I've been doing my main 5/3/1 lift and then bodyweight stuff afterwards. But it's time to try going all out with bodyweight, so I got the CC books, and over Christmas I did the veterano thing with one lift a day, just to get a feel for it, and to see where my strength fell (previously I had already been tired before getting to the bw stuff).

I've decided to do the solitary confinement routine instead, two lifts a day with one rest day a week. Most likely I'll adapt it to two lifts a day 4-5 days a week instead, but we'll see. Started yesterday so here's the first two days:

31/12/13
    Five chinups, five pullups for warmup and then nine closegrip chins. On the next set I decided to do cg pulls instead and only got 4. Back to cg chins, and eaked out 5 more. I think I'll stick to cg chins next time...

Onto the squats, started with 20 bw squats, then did 10 close squats as a warmup. After doing that I decided I should probably test if I met the progression standard before moving further, so did two sets 20 close squats. Onwards to one legged next time (I have already been doing one legged progressions for some time, mainly box pistols)
    Fingertip pushups, 10 on the wall, two sets of five on knees. I have done regular fingertip pushups before, but my little fingers felt weak, so decided to take it easy.
    Then did bar hangs for 60 seconds, 35 seconds, 30 seconds and 30 seconds. To finished did the trifecta routine. I really feel that's going to be making an amazing change in my life for the better. My shoulders felt great after the twist hold!

Anyway, on to new years party with food, alcohol and cake and too little sleep, and now I did todays training:

1/1/14
    Pushups 20 kneeling, 10 regular, 17 close, 12 close (index fingers touching, if I do diamond my shoulder goes clicking something aweful)
    Flat straight legged leg raises two sets of 20. I have been practicing feet to bar leg raises as part of my 5/3/1, but with slightly bent knees. Decided to start out at a lower progression to make sure I do them right.
    Calf raises with both legs and locked knees, two sets of 20. I thought I would do bent knees but realized that they were straight during the exersize and just sticked with it.

Did the trifecta again, but did the twist hold wrong. I did it as in the full twist hold, but stuck my arm through my leg from the wrong direction, making it much easier than the full one. I still felt it real good, so I guess that can be a progression...

Gonna do a bit of boxing and stationary bike work with my training buddy after work. Intervals and ass kickin. We usually chuck in some bodyweight work or some kind of resistance in there as well.

With him, just holding the heavy bag is a workout. He's a Russian genetic freak who's 6'4 and coordinated as hell. At 46, his left jab knocks me further back than an overhand right from many guys half his age. Will be good fun

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Back bridge, l-sit and 3/4 twist for 20 seconds each

HSPU training: Realized I'm probably not quite as strong as I had hoped, so decided instead of doing partials to just stand do handstand for time. After the workout I decided that I should probably regress a step further and practice crow stands a bit more. I did 20s crow (was thought as warmup at the time) proceeded by first 48 secoonds and then 39 seconds of wall handstands. Then I tried the crow again and got 26 seconds. Will stick to crows until I can do a full minute from now on.

Bridge work had humbled me last time, so I decided to start from the top, so did three sets of 50 on the short bridge. Good enough to proceed next time It's interesting, cause I've done static bridges for quite a while, but the dynamic ones are new to me. I thought that meant I could start further along, but I guess not.
    Did the bridge, l-sit and twist hold again, and then wrestlers wall bridge and wall front bridge for 10 reps in each direction.