Page 522 of 674 FirstFirst ... 22422472512520521522523524532572622 ... LastLast
Results 5,211 to 5,220 of 6740

Thread: What is your workout today? page 522

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    I think that one more rep that you don't quite get might well be the most important rep of the set. Obviously with squats you have to figure in the safety aspect but with a spotter or power rack it should still be fine.
    Depends on how you fail. If, at the point of failure, you cannot maintain a rigid lumbar spine, an additional rep that would turn into an ugly rounded-back mess of a squat/goodmorning hybrid is not advisable. Ask me how I know.
    The Champagne of Beards

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Depends on how you fail. If, at the point of failure, you cannot maintain a rigid lumbar spine, an additional rep that would turn into an ugly rounded-back mess of a squat/goodmorning hybrid is not advisable. Ask me how I know.
    Yeah I agree with that totally.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    I think that one more rep that you don't quite get might well be the most important rep of the set. Obviously with squats you have to figure in the safety aspect but with a spotter or power rack it should still be fine.
    I've lifted under that philosophy (going to failure +about a 5-10 second "effort" to keep the weight moving) for the past couple years. It has definitely worked well up to this point. There certainly is debate though. How much intensity is necessary, and what constitutes failure? Some define the intensity issue as inroad and outroad...so there seems to be a balance of how much is enough to elicit those gains we want without excessive systemic fatigue. And I've even read some say that if going to failure you should not be "psyching" yourself up for the lift. Plus its just in my nature to let form slip for the sake of getting one more rep than last time. Call it being overcompetitive (even with myself) or even vanity, but it certainly keeps happening. So for me to stop a half rep or rep early is probably just admitting that my form suffers on the next rep. Not a big deal with anything except deadlifts and squats though I suppose (maybe dips as well).
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-12-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I've lifted under that philosophy (going to failure +about a 5-10 second "effort" to keep the weight moving) for the past couple years. It has definitely worked well up to this point. There certainly is debate though. How much intensity is necessary, and what constitutes failure? Some define the intensity issue as inroad and outroad...so there seems to be a balance of how much is enough to elicit those gains we want without excessive systemic fatigue. And I've even read some say that if going to failure you should not be "psyching" yourself up for the lift. Plus its just in my nature to let form slip for the sake of getting one more rep than last time. Call it being overcompetitive (even with myself) or even vanity, but it certainly keeps happening. So for me to stop a half rep or rep early is probably just admitting that my form suffers on the next rep. Not a big deal with anything except deadlifts and squats though I suppose (maybe dips as well).
    Yeah it's a real can of worms !

I mean let's say you fail on the 8th rep of barbell curls with 100 lbs, that doesn't mean that your biceps are 100% done, that just means that there are temporarily not enough fresh fibers available to complete another rep at that weight. Drop the weight to 90 lbs and you would likely get another rep or two. In theory to say they are totally exhausted you would have to continue with these drop till you were unable to lift only your arm to your shoulder and even then it would only be momentary muscular failure. That is failure to do concentric contractions, you would still be able to continue doing eccentric reps.
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 11-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Yesterdays:

Neck Dips 60lb x 7 reps- 1 set
    Regular Dips 60lbs Rest pause reps-1 set
    Lying DB presses - 2 sets
    Push ups using intentions- 2 sets
    Lying extensions 80lbs x 7+1 partial rep, 80lbs x 5 + 1 partial rep
    Seated tricep extensions 35 lbs x 24=1 partial rep, 35 lbs x 16 reps.

nojoke is offline Member
    Little bit of squat work

135x5
    185 x5
    225 x5
    275 x 3
    315 x 3
    345 x 1
    375 x 1

4 rounds
    250m row
    12 Burpees
    10 Box jumps

11:16

Yesterdays:

Smith machine squats- 20 reps-1set ( Someone was using the damn squat rack for deadlifts )
    Leg press - 10 reps,10 reps,8 reps, 8 reps all done with the same weight with 35 seconds between sets.
    Leg extensions- 1 set

Lateral raise- 1 set
    Rear fly- 1 set
    upright row superset with seated press-1 set
    seated press-rest pause-1 set
    rear flys using cable-2 sets

Can hardly walk today !!!

slog is offline Member
    Sprint Thursdays;
    5 min tempo run warm up, 6x100 @ 75% effort, 6x200 all out, 6x100 all out. 5 min cool down. I do enjoy
    sprints, as it's the only regular session I do outside these days, come rain or shine. Only trouble is it leaves
    me in no fit state to lift heavy 'til Saturday....

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Presses & Deadlifts 5/3/1+

Press: 120 x 5/140 x 3/155 x 5 (new PR by 5 lbs. About 7 lbs < bodyweight)
    Deadlift: 330 x 5/375 x 3/420 x 4 (new 4-rep PR. Also, new 1-rep PR)
    Light Squats: 2 x 5 x 255
    Curls: 3 x 15 x 60
    The Champagne of Beards

Jena is offline Senior Member
    So far... a nice long brisk walk. It was cold, but felt good. Coming up, squats and push ups...
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html