Page 475 of 616 FirstFirst ... 375425465473474475476477485525575 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,750 of 6156

Thread: What is your workout today? page 475

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Broke my plateau with deadlift finally. Just needed a week off it looks like cause when I went at it fresh seemed like I coulda done more weight. Gonna try to break 300 for a 5 rep set in the next 4-6 weeks. It's definitely my weakest link so I'm keen to keep hitting it hard, but thats a double edge sword as it seems I've been not spacing the workout enough to recover completely.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Broke my plateau with deadlift finally. Just needed a week off it looks like cause when I went at it fresh seemed like I coulda done more weight. Gonna try to break 300 for a 5 rep set in the next 4-6 weeks. It's definitely my weakest link so I'm keen to keep hitting it hard, but thats a double edge sword as it seems I've been not spacing the workout enough to recover completely.
    The deadlift is a fickle lover that way. To my knowledge, it takes the most recovery of any lift. I've cut down to a single heavy set of 5 once/week (with appropriate warmup reps, of course). Every week so far, I've hit a new PR set of 5, lately at 390 with a bw of 155. It's not elite, but it's my best lift by a long shot.

What do you think is the weak point in your deadlift? Is it breaking the weight off the floor, or locking out after you get the bar past your knees?

Oh, my planned workout today:

Squat: 5 x 5 x 265
    Power Cleans: Probably going to stick to 155/160 for singles. See how I feel, emphasis on form over weight.
    Press: 1 x 5 x 140
    Chin-ups: 3 x 5 x me+70

I'm approaching stalling points on all of those. I may hit every rep, or I may come up short on any/all of them. But the plan is to psych myself up all day long and nail it all. In Jim Wendler's words, "What would Conan do?"

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What do you think is the weak point in your deadlift? Is it breaking the weight off the floor, or locking out after you get the bar past your knees?
    I had been failing on rep 4 or 5 for a couple weeks. Sticking point was breaking from the floor.... although I sometimes didn't "fail", just knew it wasn't gonna happen. But, yeah when I do fail its usually just an inch from the floor. My overanalysis: feels like my glutes and low back aren't firing as synergystically as they could to produce max force. I felt like things were much smoother and firing better in my last workout though. Dunno.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I had been failing on rep 4 or 5 for a couple weeks. Sticking point was breaking from the floor.... although I sometimes didn't "fail", just knew it wasn't gonna happen. But, yeah when I do fail its usually just an inch from the floor. My overanalysis: feels like my glutes and low back aren't firing as synergystically as they could to produce max force. I felt like things were much smoother and firing better in my last workout though. Dunno.
    Perhaps it's time for some deficit work. $5 worth of cinder blocks is all you need for either deficits (you stand on the cinder blocks) or "rack pulls" (The cinder blocks go under the plates).

Of course, just plain keeping on deadlifting is probably an effective strategy too. Make sure you keep in mind that they're probably the single hardest lift to recover from, due to the lack of an eccentric portion (unless you cheat like a dirty CrossFitter ), the huge amount of muscle mass involved, and the amount of weight you're moving. If you do add assistance work, like deficits, add them after the deadlift so you don't interrupt your recovery period. That's my semi-educated, non-professional, uncertified opinion.

Yeah I'm looking forward to my next deadlock day to see if I can add another ten pounds to the bar.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Leg Day

Squats - 1 X 15 @135 lbs., 1 X 10 @185 lbs., 1 X 8 @225 lbs., 1 X 6 @275 lbs, 1 X 3 @ 315 lbs.
    Hack Squats - 1 X 12 @135 lbs., 1 X 10 @185 lbs., 1 X 8 @225 lbs.

3 TriSets - Thigh Ext. 150 lbs X 12, Leg Curl 85 X 12, Calf Raises 200 X 12

renee16 is offline Junior Member
    trail jogged with my dog for an hour up and down hills, we both got covered in mud, it was great!

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I participated in the Memorial Day Murph this morning, a military charity fundraiser based on a Crossfit workout named for Navy Lt. Micheal Murphy who died on duty in 2005:

1 mile run
    300 squats
    200 push ups
    100 pull-ups (I did TRX rows instead)
    1 mile run

My time was better than anticipated, 42:38..not bad for an old woman

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday:

Saturday May 25 2013
    Deadlift Day

Deadlift (1x5x67.5) (1x5x77.5) (3x5x87.5)
    Deadlift (5x10x67.5)
    Squat (3-4x10x60)
    Leg Raises (3x15-20)

(Kilograms)

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Love this thread! I started posting here years ago! Glad to see it is still going strong!

After much debate, I am back to Wendler 5/3/1 2x/week and conditioning 2x/week. One guy at the gym said "you're doing a half-squat!" because I didn't break parallel during a heavy back squat set. So, now I'm humbling myself and making sure I do a full ROM on all my lifts.. Meaning, breaking parallel and getting as low as I can in my front squat!

Lots of biking during de-load... Tuesday was 15 miles, Thursday was 6 miles, Saturday was about 12 miles. Waiting anxiously for ma to send me my rollerblades so I can have a new mode of transportation to mix things up. :-)

Today:
    ~5m bikeride + 1hr walk
    +
    45x5, 55x5, 60x10, 55x11, 50x12 front squat
    20x5x2, 30x5, 25x6, 20x8x2 DB OHP
    4 x 10 ab roll-outs
    3 x 15 back extensions

Anyone get the Alpha 2.0 book yet and try the routine? My boyfriend is trying it right now and the first two weeks (very low-carb with heavy circuit training) is just destrooying him. I tried it for about 2-3 days and it was awful, messed with my sleep and had horrible recovery. Back to potatoes and bananas for me. ;-)