Primal Fuel
    Today was a Hero WOD

"Jared" 4 rounds for time of:

800m Run
    40x Pull-ups
    70x Hand release Push-ups

My time: 42:07

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Today was "leg day". I love/hate leg day, as it always beats the ever living **** out of me. Today I did:

Squats: 3 x 8, 1 x 3
    Lunges: 3 x 10 (all left leg reps, then all right leg reps)
    RDLs: 3 x 11 (once I get to 12, I increment weight and reset to 8 reps)
    Calf raises: 3 x 15 (just started these. They hurt)

The lunges, especially doing one leg at a time, really beat me up. I mean, who needs sprinting when they have weighted lunges. My heart maxes out after/during each set, I feel like puking, it is beautiful :-D

I do DLs on back day, not leg day. Squats and DLs on the same day tear up my lower back too much.

--Me

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Adamm, I'll be following quite a few "leg" days in my next program... I'm wondering just how much leg and glute work I can stuff into one week without it compromising my gains. ;-) Most days, I used to leave the gym feeling like I got run over by a bus. I'm not sure that was necessarily "beneficial" at the time, although I did build a lot of leg mass. They say "intense! intense!" but to what magnitude....?

"Core & Calm" Yoga tonight, meaning lots of static poses, vinyasas, pilate-type core work.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I was bored and threw in a PB fitness round today:

50 pushups
    12 pullups
    50 prisoner squats
    12 handstand pushups
    3 minutes of plank
    2 minutes of bird dogs

Still doing BBS big five on saturday.

MattMurray is offline Junior Member
    Just finished 3 sets of 10rm on deadlifts at 415 it wasn't fun! Haha

jakeb is offline Junior Member
    Handstand pushups, and bike sprints (great for no joint impact exercise).

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    Adamm, I'll be following quite a few "leg" days in my next program... I'm wondering just how much leg and glute work I can stuff into one week without it compromising my gains. ;-) Most days, I used to leave the gym feeling like I got run over by a bus. I'm not sure that was necessarily "beneficial" at the time, although I did build a lot of leg mass. They say "intense! intense!" but to what magnitude....?

"Core & Calm" Yoga tonight, meaning lots of static poses, vinyasas, pilate-type core work.
    I'm no expert, so I don't know what advice to offer :-D

I've been told by people no more than twice a week per bodypart (at most) if you have very intense splits, but I can't verify. The only thing I can say is that I'm doing once a week per bodypart splits (5 day split) and it feels "enough" and I'm making good gains in both strength and mass, but my sessions are really really really really intense

--Me

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Five Rounds:

Side to Side Push Ups x 10
    Flutter Kicks x 20
    Chin Ups x 10
    Kettlebell Swings x 10
    24" Box Jumps x 10

11:36

Two Mile Treadmill Run 13:12 (new PR)
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post

I've been told by people no more than twice a week per bodypart (at most) if you have very intense splits, but I can't verify. The only thing I can say is that I'm doing once a week per bodypart splits (5 day split) and it feels "enough" and I'm making good gains in both strength and mass, but my sessions are really really really really intense

--Me
    You're right on this one. If you are doing body part splits, two days a week max. If you are going really intense, or are older (like myself), One day a week is usually best, as you'll need more time to recover.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    Betorq, I read the Convict Conditioning book a few summers ago and was very intriguied! I did the bodyweight only thing for months and months. I keep thinking I want to get back to that, I was actually leaner, but I love being stronger from lifting heavier weights. I've been on Wendler 5/3/1 with the back squat, bridge, OHP, and more recently the front squat for over a year now. I made some great gains! I'm very proud of myself!
    I modified CC as I thought that for me, I have been doing decades of full body conditioning: 1st as a wrestler in High School, then Marital arts & Ashtanga Yoga & to my thinking it didn't make sense & would have been b-b-b-boring to start w/ the CC beginner cycles on most, not all of the exercises. So I found what I could do that was a bit of a challenge & started myself there & built up reps. It's working, & I'm resting more days, doing CC & some favorite lift moves 4-5 days a week, alternating upper/lower & swimming about the same 5 days a week, slower for the 4 days, sprinting all out once a week as per PB. I walk outdoors every day, sometimes evenings after dinner too. I've lost weight, look & feel better, am leaner, with more muscle definition. Been IFing & outright fasting, 4 days a week ago, & doing 2 day fast every week now & liking it a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post

--Me
    At 1st I was doing free weights lifting 5-6 days a week, alternating upper & lower & writing everything down in my fitness journal. But since reading more up on the subject & have mostly segued to Convict Conditioning, I've taken more rest days off from that schedule. Am testing the twice a week only for chin ups this week, as I was not seeing rep gains at all by doing them 3-4 day a week. Rest I think is the key, of course doing these exercises very slowly & not cheating is too! The only thing I do fast is the bicycle kicks & once a week lap sprints in the pool.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown