Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people who go vegan turn mean?

Hybrid View

Why do people who go vegan turn mean?

No offence, but why do people who go vegan turn mean? My friend recently went vegan and now she is selfish, self righteous and goes around saying meat is evil and that all my health issues (PCOS, IR, hypothyroid) is because I eat meat etc. and calls people fat and lazy and disgusting...just rude and not nice comments about things/people now. It is very off-putting. I think she gets mad when I say I won't give up eggs/meat/fish. I just don't really get in to it with her. It is all she talks about though. Does changing diet really change people? I have become more positive/better person/more confident/hopeful since finding primal (all good traits) so I don't really get why she is all negative and rude and mean and thinks she is better than everyone because she turned vegan now.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

I doubt it has anything to do with being vegan. People become sanctimonious, intolerable preachers any time they think they have found the way.

It's just the human ego at work. She feels superior because she believes she is no longer causing death to survive (she's wrong). We tend to treat people like crap when we decide we are superior to them.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

A combination of becoming a True Believer and a lack of omega 3's, protein, b vitamins, and sat. fat. Paleos do it too, but at least their D levels tend to be better.

And True Believer is a disease that effects everyone; christians, atheists, blacks, whites, men, women, libertarians, communists, liberals, republicans, anarchists, vegans, paleos, etc.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    A combination of becoming a True Believer and a lack of omega 3's, protein, b vitamins, and sat. fat. Paleos do it too, but at least their D levels tend to be better.

And True Believer is a disease that effects everyone; christians, atheists, blacks, whites, men, women, libertarians, communists, liberals, republicans, anarchists, vegans, paleos, etc.
    Amen.
    SW 260 lbs
    CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
    GW 150 lbs
    PB start date: June 16th, 2012

I've known some paleo/primal folks to be just as obnoxious. Self-righteousness is unpleasant no matter what the person's dietary choices.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I've known some paleo/primal folks to be just as obnoxious. Self-righteousness is unpleasant no matter what the person's dietary choices.
    True. You see it all the time on forums. People being called "mindless sheep" for eating bread or not consuming lots of fat. I have also seen people on blogs and youtube that spend a lot of their time antagonising vegetarians. It's all really petty

good posts.I agree. I guess I am glad I didn't go all self righteous since going primal. I don't and never did thing I was better than anyone so I guess it is just difficult for me to understand it. Plus, she is my friend and I want my old friend personality back not a mean rude person who talks bad about people! But yeh, any group of people can or will act like that,not just vegans.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Ha, well, you know... they feel that they're now part of a morally superior club. You should go watch the South Park episode where everyone in the town buys Prius's. "You're doin' a good thing!". Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Ha, well, you know... they feel that they're now part of a morally superior club. You should go watch the South Park episode where everyone in the town buys Prius's. "You're doin' a good thing!". Classic.
    HA! I was about to say something like, "tell her to take it down a notch before she brings on a wicked wave of smug!" You ruined it for me though

Diet can either be the best thing for you, or the worst. There's a good possibility that her mood has changed just by the food she is eating or not eating.