Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people who go vegan turn mean? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

Why do people who go vegan turn mean?

Shop Now
    No offence, but why do people who go vegan turn mean? My friend recently went vegan and now she is selfish, self righteous and goes around saying meat is evil and that all my health issues (PCOS, IR, hypothyroid) is because I eat meat etc. and calls people fat and lazy and disgusting...just rude and not nice comments about things/people now. It is very off-putting. I think she gets mad when I say I won't give up eggs/meat/fish. I just don't really get in to it with her. It is all she talks about though. Does changing diet really change people? I have become more positive/better person/more confident/hopeful since finding primal (all good traits) so I don't really get why she is all negative and rude and mean and thinks she is better than everyone because she turned vegan now.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I doubt it has anything to do with being vegan. People become sanctimonious, intolerable preachers any time they think they have found the way.

It's just the human ego at work. She feels superior because she believes she is no longer causing death to survive (she's wrong). We tend to treat people like crap when we decide we are superior to them.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    A combination of becoming a True Believer and a lack of omega 3's, protein, b vitamins, and sat. fat. Paleos do it too, but at least their D levels tend to be better.

And True Believer is a disease that effects everyone; christians, atheists, blacks, whites, men, women, libertarians, communists, liberals, republicans, anarchists, vegans, paleos, etc.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I've known some paleo/primal folks to be just as obnoxious. Self-righteousness is unpleasant no matter what the person's dietary choices.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    good posts.I agree. I guess I am glad I didn't go all self righteous since going primal. I don't and never did thing I was better than anyone so I guess it is just difficult for me to understand it. Plus, she is my friend and I want my old friend personality back not a mean rude person who talks bad about people! But yeh, any group of people can or will act like that,not just vegans.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Ha, well, you know... they feel that they're now part of a morally superior club. You should go watch the South Park episode where everyone in the town buys Prius's. "You're doin' a good thing!". Classic.

ryan54 is offline Member
    Diet can either be the best thing for you, or the worst. There's a good possibility that her mood has changed just by the food she is eating or not eating.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan54 View Post
    Diet can either be the best thing for you, or the worst. There's a good possibility that her mood has changed just by the food she is eating or not eating.
    That's a good point. Vegan diet can be too low in fat & too high in sugars, in the forms of fruit & their love of all things agave. I'd be a grouch too if I wasn't eating loads of quality fats, haha.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a form of excitement. . . evangelism you might say. She's found a 'one true way' and thereby will use any methods that we can to get people into it. some will use "yay! awesomeness!" and others will use "shame on you!" and so on. It just depends on the person.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    She's probably starving, she feels morally superior, and she's hungry for food that tastes like food, not cardboard. I hope it doesn't strain your friendship to the breaking point. Have you asked her about the lousey attitude?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast