Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys do for lunch away from home (e.g. at work), suggestions? page 2

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great idea, Robin.. Cold ham is so good and salty, add a couple hard boiled eggs, yum.. And easy.

NZBee is offline Junior Member
    I take leftovers of the dinner before in some form - eg if I'm having steak for dinner I will cook extra and after dinner slice it up and throw it over salad in a tupperware container (I've found dressing in a small sized snaplock bag inside the container of salad is the safest way to transport dressing). Admittedly I have a microwave at work so can take things to heat up which opens up the opportunities quite a lot. But I bought my DD a wide mouthed insulated thermos for her to take warm things to school over winter and that works well for most things (just heat up whatever it is until piping hot in the morning and pack). We've also had a lot of success with her taking egg "muffins", no mess, easy & quick to eat and really filling. Otherwise why not IF during lunch instead of breakfast?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You can put cold things in your thermos too. I have a "lunch jar". I chop a tomato, avocado and some meat and season with oil and vinegar for a salad in my thermos.

I sometimes buy a salad from the campus cafe and dump a can of salmon on it. Dressing is problematic though so I squeeze lemon on it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

katemary is offline Senior Member
    All of the above. Eggs and having canned tuna or salmon to add to salad or avocado. Find combinations of food you like cold and cut it up and then you can eat it without much fuss. I am a fan of steak and asparagus cold. Cook it when you are cooking dinner, cut it into bite size pieces when it cools, plastic bag it and the next day eat it as a snack with fingers! Otherwise, as bad as cafeteria food may be, you must be able to pick up plain meat (and take an avocado or spices or something) If it gets too boring, it will force you to be creative!

meat egg fruit n veg is offline Junior Member
    I'm at uni too. What I do is the night before I cook a chicken kebab and have that for a snack, and a carrot. I always keep oranges at the bottom of my bag.

Once I hadn't eaten for about 6 hours (usually I'm fine but this day I wasn't) and on the bus I was could see grey and nearly close to blacking out. Luckily I had an orange in my bag that a lady had given me from her orange tree, which I was going to use later but I ate it and within five minutes I was better, though a bit shaken.

For lunch I always have last night's dinner.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Lunch away from home for me is an intermittent fast.

Nobody says your fast HAS to be broken at lunch just because you're skipping breakfast. Don't be so rigid about it.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I find that sweet potato fries keep fine refrigerated in tupperware for up to 3 days.

I cut the sweet potatoes transversely into circles about 8 mm thick and shallow fry in coconut oil or butter + EVO.

I add these quartered to green salad and spring onions along with homemade dressing, and some protein.

If I'm being lazy or am less organised, I microwave a sweet potato instead, and add butter, feta and spring onions.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Nycteris is offline Junior Member
    I'm getting to that point where, if I don't prepare food-to-go at home, I don't eat.
    If I have time I might run up to the local market and grab a handful of fatty nuts and some olives, but if nothing fresh and organic is available, I go without - course I couldn't do that before I became a fat burner...
    I am actually enjoying the freedom of not being a "meal planner" anymore.
    SW 260 lbs
    CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
    GW 150 lbs
    PB start date: June 16th, 2012

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Cold browned ground beef smells great and tastes wonderful with or without spice. I always have a long a small jar of coconut oil, it is a total pick me up in a hurry, and if the weather is cold... YEAH! Also, a thermos can be obtained for cheap, and then the sky is your limit.

A pepperandwich, my kid's favorite meal, is a bell pepper stuffed with anything at hand and tightly wrapped in a cyrano. Bell peppers do not go soggy, like bread.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    I wash a lettuce, red peppers and cherry tomatoes at the beginning of the week. Keep them in a plastic box in fridge. Each day put a portion in a smaller plastic box, throw on a few slices of ham or tongue. I also put some olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small container as a dressing.
    It takes no more than a minute to prepare of a morning but I find it really tasty. Better than most shop bought tasteless items.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast