Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal page

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member

The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal

Shop Now
    Hi there! My name is Paula (aka pebbles67). You may already know me from "The Bedrock Journal"

I have been Primal for almost two years. This lifestyle brought me from the brink of death to great health. I am a total convert. As of my one year anniversary, I had lost 65 of the 100 lbs I was hoping to lose. That is the good news. Unfortunately, the last year has not been as successful. I have regained 30 lbs and have a worsening night binge eating disorder. I went from a few bad days/month around that TOM to a few binge days/week.

There are many factors involved in my particular problem. I was raised by two fabulous, loving, emotional binge eaters who were morbidly obese all of their adult lives. My Mom died last October after a long fight with ovarian cancer. She died in my home under my care. I am perimenopausal and likely have adrenal fatigue. If you wish, you can read my entire story in my journal linked in my signature.

Here is what I am trying now. I am doing a W30 for September because I believe that I have an addiction to artificial sweeteners. I am trying to eat a min of 50g of protein at breakfast a la Leptin Reset because I have read that night bingers have low Leptin sensitivity and don't produce enough melatonin at night. Therefore, I have also added melatonin to try and improve my sleep. I have found a correlation between binges and poor sleep the previous night based on info gleaned from my GOWEARFIT arm band. I will report my progress here as it relates to the binge issue.

***Please feel free to post here. Tell us about your own binge issues and anything that has helped you or others. I would ask that people do not post "Get some willpower" as their only suggestion. I have found that willpower is only one factor in a much bigger picture.

Cheers!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I am working on my binge issue by increasing fruits and veggies via smoothies. Sleep is also a factor, I personally "self medicate" with food when tired.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm reading Julia Ross's Diet Cure, and I've heard good things about it, but I'm only about halfway through the book. Feeling optimistic, though.

My issues started after a concussion that followed a prior one too closely, and I'm thinking there's something I'm not producing like I should.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    1 day binge free

Rita Rose, I read The Mood Cure. It was fascinating, but the volume of supplements needed was daunting. Maybe I'll read The Diet Cure next.

Karin, I am going to come up with some berry/veg smoothie recipes with CM so that I can switch off my breakfast sometimes and still stay W30 compliant.

I wanted to describe my binges because they can be pretty severe and It might help someone else to know that they are not crazy or alone in this. Most days I eat fully Primal until after dinner. I will feel fine with little urge to binge. Suddenly, I will begin to picture a certain high carb food. My mind will begin to obsess on that food. I may try to pep talk myself out of it, but another part of my mind is saying "Oh go ahead, you deserve it, tomorrow is another day". (I call this voice Scarlett O'Hara)
    Eventually I give in. I'll eat the food I was thinking about. Then I'll eat something else and so on. I will eat for 2-3 hrs straight and then fall into bed like a drunk on a bender. Being tired and stressed/annoyed seems to be a big trigger problem for me.

Here is a typical binge:
    Ice Cream
    Cereal with milk
    Bread and PB
    Fruit snacks
    Graham Crackers
    Chips
    Candy

*Now the reason for my weight regain becomes clear. I do this at least 3x a week. Afterwards, I feel great remorse and self loathing, but I can't seem to stop it from happening. BTW all of the above is in the house for my husband and kids. Bad, I know.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

I was doing so well last night or so I thought. I thought, man the smoothies worked great. I could not sleep.. 10pm, 11pm 11:30=pretzels ( I had thought about them for an hour and a half).
    Karin

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    First, I want to address the notion of "willpower"...The human body is beautifully evolved to tell us what we need to survive and thrive. When our bodies are starved for one reason or another (diet induced or inability of the body to utilize nutrients) it will take you to food, you do not have the power to stop, period. It is like expecting yourself to hold your breath because there is an allergen in the air nearby, you will breath, period. So the message I would like to pass on here is to not feel guilty or annoyed with yourself, your body is working as it should. Now to figure out why, this is the work that is ahead.

Second I would like to suggest that you hold part of a smoothie in the fridge to drink while you are trying to figure out what you are going to binge on. It might slow you down, and if not at least you will have a jolt of nutrition before the junk. I have been using this strategy for my lunch. I save out part of my breakfast smoothie to eat while I am making lunch because that is one of my binge times. The other time I tend to binge is 4pm give or take an hour. And that is the other time I drink a smoothie or part of one.

If I am tired, I try not to take a nap but to listen to a 30 minute meditation mid afternoon. It tends to be more refreshing than a nap.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post

Second I would like to suggest that you hold part of a smoothie in the fridge to drink while you are trying to figure out what you are going to binge on. It might slow you down, and if not at least you will have a jolt of nutrition before the junk. I have been using this strategy for my lunch. I save out part of my breakfast smoothie to eat while I am making lunch because that is one of my binge times. The other time I tend to binge is 4pm give or take an hour. And that is the other time I drink a smoothie or part of one.
    Do you know what is so annoying?? When something so simple is oblivious to the person who needs it. You know what is awesome?? When someone points it out to you. <3 ya gf!!
    Karin

Hey, I am 53 so you see how long it has taken me to figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Hey, I am 53 so you see how long it has taken me to figure it out!
    Oh you make me feel like such a kid when you bandy your age about! LOL (Like your that much older! LOL)
    Karin

I actually had to do the math to remember my age, if I had to say the age I feel, most days it would be 35 (my age brain is dyslexic!)
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast