Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal page 9

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, I am reviving this thread to finally report some success. In the last year, I have tried many different combinations of macros to try to stop the BED I had some success on Whole 30 and ketgogenic eating as well, but I always binged during PMS week. On both of those plans, my record was about three weeks, but every day was a struggle.

Last month I decided to really give the Leptin Diet a try. I have taken ideas from both of the well known programs. I decided to get 65-75 grams of protein for breakfast within an hour of waking. (50+ recommended) I get half of that in real food, and the other half in whey protein. I eat 3 meals, no snacks and finish eating by 6 pm. Thereby putting 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. I have chosen to eat 75 to 100 grams of carb a day to keep my hormones as balanced as possible. (50 or below recommended.)

I am past the three week mark without a binge. I have had zero binge urge even though It is nearly that time of the month. My mood is much more stable than in past PMS weeks. My energy level is good and I have none of the hormonal brain fog that is my normal.

I'm not saying that I will never binge again, but this is certainly better than where I was before.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Pebbles, that's great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I know about Kruse, but could you link to the other one?

Thanks.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Great Idea Joanie. I'll link both programs here.

Leptin Reset Easy Start Guide

Jack is an interesting man. If you can get past his ego and cult like following, there is good science there.

The Five Rules of The Leptin Diet | Weight Loss News

Richards is much less specific about protein and carb levels. There may be more in his book.

Thanks Pebbles. My interest is about wanting a bit more energy. Also, the whole hippie factor of wanting to be in tune with Big Mama earth. Sleeping a bit better wouldn't suck either, though I wonder if one is really in tune with Circadian rhythms, wouldn't one sleep more in winter and less in summer?

Leptin reset is a good place to start I think.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Oops. Sorry to post after myself, but I also wonder if we don't mess with our systems by changing the clocks twice a year. IOW I wonder if the focus shouldn't be on sunrise and sunset rather than on the clock time of when we wake up and go to bed.

Just thinking out loud because this interests me.

B*tch-lite

Sleep has definitely improved for me since I started this protocol.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I didn't even catch that this was an old thread until page 9

I just wanted to chime in with a totally unexpected change that has helped me I know there are some people on here that are anti-Peat but... none the less. I have struggled with binge eating for a loooooooooong time. Real binge eating - like 2000-3000 calorie binges. For the longest time I thought sugar was my trigger. I thought sugar in the morning was the.best.way.ever to guarantee a binge later in the day. And then I tried Peat. I'm still mostly primal - I don't add sugar to my orange juice or things like that. I eat ~300 grams of carbs a day and am going to start cutting back a bit because I do find I'm satiated better with more fat. But here is the thing I never expected. Eating A LOT of fruit has greatly diminished my binge urges. I never realized how many binges started with "I just want a small handful of raisins" and deteriorate into "this package of Oreos looks good". I think that giving myself the OK to eat fruit has been hugely important in not bingeing. And I haven't in 2 months. I've had a few days where 1 lb of grapes turned into 2 and a few too many high quality chocolate bars here and there but I have not had a singe binge food in 2 months. I've eaten no nuts in this time either and have realized that my half-a-jar of almond butter binges were probably just a substitute for the sugar I wanted. But, by having "real-food" sugar (fruit, honey, chocolate milk made with 2 tsp of sugar and good cocoa, dried fruits, etc) my cravings for "crap-food" is gone.

Anyway, I know this sounds crazy and everyone reading this is doing a low-carb "sugar busting" plan to get over cravings, but after 15 years of struggling with this, to finally have diminished the urges is a blessing. And I don't think I'll ever go back to low carb again.

Also, a great book to check out is Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge. Really just her own personal story, but I can imagine most people on this thread might read her book and feel as though she is writing about them. I sure did.

I eat two to three servings of fruit every day. Total carbs between 75-125 grams. Super low carb is one tenet of both Leptin Protocols that I do not follow.

I am in my forties and have learned that vlc makes me very moody, especially around TTOM.

Speaking of TTOM, my period arrived today exactly on time without any of the negative pms symptons that used to mean a certain binge.

Finally, I started this thread as a place for bingers to discuss what has worked for them. All ideas are welcome.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    That's great news about making it through PMS. Always an extra struggle

Loka is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi I'm new to this forum & am so so so glad to stumble upon this thread...cos I'm seriously suffering from binge eating...in secret. 😓 just ate a pint of ice cream at 3am last night.....

I'm starting my primal journey today and hope to be able to stop my binges by logging on my journal every time I feel like a binge! Hope it works cos I've tried so many methods and it really didn't last me at all...fingers crossed....

From a little island in S.E.A.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast