Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal page 7

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well.. I am testing the theory of eating enough protein and fat to avoid binges. I have not been tempted today (we shall not discuss the past). Breakfast was yum.. 2 eggs, frozen broccoli with butter in a pan, a little shred cheese on top. I am not going to fuss and fume about cheese as it is the only dairy. I use CM in my coffee though. Lunch- turkey and cheese roll ups (no fruit or veggies) I will have to make up for it tonight at dinner..

I know that I am an emotional eater.. as well as a distracted unorganized eater. I think that until I fix that and can REALLY PAY ATTENTION to what I am doing I will not lose weight. Its so easy to get caught up in the whir-wind of life, you forget to eat well and sleep well.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Good luck! I know that you know by now that I believe that binges are a response to our body having a deficit, we just gotta be able to figure out what the deficit is and fulfill just that!

I wish my life was full enough to take my mind off food for some period of time!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I have 10 days without a binge. Close call last night. I went to have a tablespoon of almond butter and before I was aware of what was happening, I was eating a second spoonful. I have a little snack just before bed so that I do not wake up hungry in the middle of the night. Then the obsessive thoughts hit without warning. I quickly jumped into bed. Tired=bingey.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Have any of you tried not eating breakfast? I originally thought I would just be setting myself up for binges, but it hasn't been the case. I eat dinner between 5-6PM and then don't eat (BP decaf coffee only: coconut oil/coconut milk) until maybe 11am-noon. I have never been one that is hungry in the morning anyway... so I don't see this as deprivation.

I have to be SO careful about my breakfasts if I eat them. I swear if I have a minute amount of sugar it sets me up for obsessions about eating sugar for the entire day.

I am NOT losing weight this way, but I am already in a healthy range. I want to change my attitude and physical response toward food, and I kind of think this fasting is helping. Now I need to tackle the eating between 3-6PM where i am home making dinner and dealing with running kids in 3 different directions. Very difficult to be parked in the kitchen for a few hours and not snack!

Oh, and last week I said I bought 2 bags of fun sized candy bars for the kids; hoping I can not eat them. Who the hell was I kidding? I was bored, so I said "I'll just eat one of each kind." I will credit myself for finally throwing the rest of 2 bags in the garbage. I just can't have it in the home.

Congratulations to everyone for working on this behavior! Great to see people becoming aware of what is happening and taking steps to stop a binge in its' tracks!
    Last edited by PHaselow; 09-14-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

freedom.please is offline Senior Member
    Hi every one, I have had issues with binge eating for the last year. I found Marks daily apple and became so pumped to become primal. It all makes sense doesn't it!? --- but I can't get past my binge eating

I am 20 years old and attending college in Iowa. Last year I found running as a great coping mechanism and started to loose weight. This was not intentional. I went from 120 pounds to 109 pounds. This was way to light,but my appetite was gone and I was obsessed with running. I got to a point where I new i wanted to gain my weight back, in muscle of course, so I started lifting and eating lots more. Eventually the lots more of food turned into binges. They were and still are out of control and crazy. I got lazy because binge eating is so exhausting, I became depressed and ignored social situations.

Now, I am in a roller coaster of bingeing and trying to go primal. I weigh much more than I would prefer, but beyond the weight I am upset because I know it is mostly body fat. I know a lot about nutrition as I have taken courses in college and done lots of reading. I truly believe I have a sugar addiction and get carb highs.

My point is having binge eating disorder sucks. It is exhausting. Don't you love those few days you have in a row where you feel energetic and clean. And, you feel good about your body! How do we have more of these days? How do we destroy our obsession of food, or maybe transform it into a healthy obsession? How can we accomplish more in the other aspects of our lives when we are just trying to recover from our uncomfortable habit?

lilelizabee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I have to be SO careful about my breakfasts if I eat them. I swear if I have a minute amount of sugar it sets me up for obsessions about eating sugar for the entire day.
    Wow me too - I definitely feel so much different moving forward if I have fruit with my breakfast. I always end up feeling snacky towards mid-morning if I get any sugar early on. I've found that yes, having a decent amount of protein in my breakfast is great, but unless I get a decent helping of fats, I'm much more likely to want to eat an early lunch, which begets earlier dinner, and then leaves time for me to be more likely to want to eat something later in the evening. It's amazing how setting yourself up for success early in the day and eating enough fat (for me, anyways) makes an enormous difference!
    ~~moving forward - one step, jump, climb, crawl, or fall at a time~~
    ~~5'3"/112/15%~~

freedom.please is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys,
    So I am looking for some help.

-I can not recall the last time I went a whole week with out a binge. Does any one have advise on how to get back on track?

I know all the stuff I need to know but I can not seem to follow it. I am exhausted, feel depressed, and need relief. As a college student feeling this way is not going to fly.

I know if I can just get a good week under my belt that things could start to flow more normally.

- also I am really interested in what some of you have said about smoothies. Every now and then I buy one and it makes my stomach and body feel really good. Does any one have a good healthy recipe so I can make my own??

My mom knows about my problem but I don't think any one can really understand unless they have felt this themselves. Any suggestions would really be appreciated

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Hi freedom.please,

I think that you need to experiment to see what works for you. I eat 3 low carb high fat meals / day. I take a lot of supplements as well, but I am 25 years older than you.

Try out a few of the suggestions in this thread and see how they work.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    So far the best way I have found to keep myself from binging (and it doesn't always work because I guess mentally sometimes I just must want to binge and don't do it) is to eat something "healthy" at the times that I would tend to binge. For me that is around 4pm, and after dinner. So I do a smoothie at 4, and save a bit of it for after dinner.

My smoothies are not totally Primal, but I will give you my basic and you can change what you want...

1C unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    1C of brewed tea that has cooled a bit (green tea in the morning, vanilla in the afternoon)
    1C of frozen berries (blueberries or strawberries) or a navel orange
    1C frozen spinach
    1C frozen green beans
    1 scoop of zNatural Whey (it is unflavored)
    1T cocoa powder or flaxseed meal
    mix of sweeteners (xylitol, erythritol, stevia)-if I am really craving sweet, I will add a T of a sugar free flavored syrup (DaVinci)
    vanilla bean powder
    1/2C egg whites
    1/2C of cottage cheese or Greek Yogurt (I get the one that has the most protein, which is usually non-fat)
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Trojan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I have had success with the following...sometimes.

I drink a hot beverage. Coffee with heavy cream and stevia is my go to drink. I also love bouillon for this purpose.

I clean or organize something. Anything that gives me a handful of stuff to deal with.

I take a nap.

I eat something Primal. (Smoothie anyone?)

I write down my thoughts and feelings in my paper journal.

I take a teaspoon of L glutamine powder under the tongue.

I ride my elliptical trainer or dance around to loud music.
    These are fantastic ideas. I struggle with binge eating as well, have for many years. I have it mostly under control but night time before bed is my biggest issue. I started going completely 100% primal last week(no sugar/artifical crap or fruit) I have less cravings. YAY. Tea before bedtime has been a HUGE savior, especially sleepytime extra.I'll have to try writing my thoughts down...may help. I have abolished my cheat day for a while until I have some things under control..it was getting UGLY.
    SBF% 20.5
    CBF% 20.0
    Goal....14%

Muscle weighs more than fat and scales are evil.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast