Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal page 6

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I used to binge but ever since switching to Primal eating and lifestyle (walking, sprinting, good sleep) I killed the sweet cravings stone dead. I found eating fat really helped me. I gave that tip to my 56 year old mom, who is desperate to lose weight after a 3 week binge as she needs to be able to get into her expensive dress for my wedding in 3 weeks, and she has seen amazing results after years of eating low fat.
    I'm not saying it is the solution, but eating fat (within a reasonable calorie limit) certainly helped me control my sweet cravings. I keep my carbs fairly low and when I have a slight craving for something sweet I just eat some fruit, but that is not so often. (I'm not convinced about any kind of smoothies to be honest, liquid food just doesn't satiate enough)

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    It is very interesting how different each of us is regarding getting over binging. Over a year ago, I started Atkins, (I did very little of the fake stuff). Then a few months later I went Primal. High fat and VLC, no change in the binge area (or in my weight). I played around with the amount of carbs, still nothing.

Now using this system I feel less like I am dieting and more in control of my eating. To me the smoothies are just a way to easily get the nutrients my body needs. Having one for breakfast improves my nutrient make up because I don't eat normally eat food in the morning (I wear a retainer to sleep and my teeth are tender in the morning). No satiety needed, I am not used to it anyway. My afternoon smoothie has replaced the food I would be eating in my afternoon witching hour while roaming through the pantry stuffing thing willy nilly into my mouth. I could replace it with a plate of veggies and some form of protein and get the same effect, but I don't, I have planned to, but just don't. For some reason this works for me.

My lunches and dinners are beautiful colorful chew fests of protein and veggies.

I totally understand the idea that a liquid meal replacement is not for everyone. For me they were additions more than replacements, so that may be why they work for me.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    I'm not saying it is the solution, but eating fat (within a reasonable calorie limit) certainly helped me control my sweet cravings. I keep my carbs fairly low and when I have a slight craving for something sweet I just eat some fruit, but that is not so often. (I'm not convinced about any kind of smoothies to be honest, liquid food just doesn't satiate enough)
    Liquid food seems to enhance my appetite; not stifle it (even with protein powders). I agree with you. And, I did mean to say fat instead of protein... the fat intake is what seemed to help me the most. My protein sources can be pretty fatty (rib eye vs chicken)!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

I wish it had worked for me, since I started Primal August of 2011, I would be at or very near my goal weight by now, instead I am exactly where I started.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I wish it had worked for me, since I started Primal August of 2011, I would be at or very near my goal weight by now, instead I am exactly where I started.
    I know this feeling, though now I'm about twenty pounds heavier (though, arguably, some of it is muscles, but still) as I'll have mental breaks about "depriving" myself of certain foods and then have to eat them all in a short period of time or attempt to eat primally, but eat ten times more trying to avoid what I really want.

oh man, I have run the gamete from being 100% to easing up a bit, to counting calories, to trying every combo of macro %'s you can imagine, exercising not exercising, blah blah blah. At least with what I am doing now I generally do not feel deprived and while I am not perfect, I am very close, and I feel confident that this will actually help with metabolic healing. Especially if the sleep issue clears up. And if I get the sleep my body needs along with metabolic healing I feel sure that I will have the energy to do real exercise and being to build muscle and lose fat. I just need to be patient and stay the course.
    Chris
    Unknown

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I am pulling myself up by the boot straps.. my binging weekend is over.. I do not even want to rehash what I ate. Suffice to say, it was horrible and my tummy has been wonky ever since.. thank goodness I am not THAT far from a bathroom.

Why did I do it? Pity and stress are my only excuse. DD is still sick, losing weight and trying to get her to take more meds on top of her daily meds.. OMG.. kill me now..I am also exhausted. DD slept with me because she did not feel good, hence I slept like crap. Even last night sleeping alone, I was awake at 3:30am because she was restless and talking/yelling (to someone in a dream) almost all night.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Narrowly missed a binge last night. All the signs were there, thinking about food, visualizing myself eating the food etc. I did have a primal snack and overate a bit, but did not eat the binge food. It's PMS week.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

snoops is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been posting much because I am on a 9 day liquid juice and smoothie fast so haven't been having too much in the way of binge problems. I have ben following everyones postings though.

I have been watching my urges though and learning some interesting things. Very emotionally driven I am! My dog got sick and I took her to the vet - came home craving carbs - chips, cheese and crackers. Hubby having some issues at work that will affect me - oh I was realy feeling like eating. Had some quite anxious moments. Like I wondered a while ago - is this my lot now that I can't have the wheaty carbs that I crave and love? WIll this pass as the addiction lessens. Or do I have the issue with fewer dopamine receptors and therefore the need to eat more to "feel" OK.

I have to say that its been very enlightening being able to watch it all from a place of not eating. If I was just eating normally, primaly it would be easy to just slide in a comforting carb but somehow not eating has made it easy for me to just watch it. I guess once you know something you cannot NOT know it. SO can I start eating again and be as detached?

Thursday will tell. Mind you we are going to Virginia for 5 days to check out the DC area and see friends. Never been - lots to see but also lots of eating out...

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Narrowly missed a binge last night. All the signs were there, thinking about food, visualizing myself eating the food etc. I did have a primal snack and overate a bit, but did not eat the binge food. It's PMS week.
    Good for you, Paula!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast