Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal page 5

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For the sleep. I am starting to think that I sleep better if I don't try to be in bed for 8 hours. Last night I was in bed for 6:53 and I still slept 5:05 which is no worse than when I am in bed for 8 hours. I think I need to experiment with waking up at the same time every day, do my afternoon meditation (I did it yesterday), and then go to bed when I actually am sleepy. Which is generally closer to 10:30 than 9:30. It is just VERY difficult to wake up at 5:30 if I don't have to!

I can drink a caffeinated tea in the afternoon and it doesn't affect me the way that coffee does, so maybe a nice green tea (which studies show help with fat burning) might be a good way to transition from the coffee.

congrats on the 5 days clean. Maybe make yourself a schedule for your days off, and eat slightly sooner than you think you need to, and eat things that you love so you don't feel deprived?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    5 days without a binge.

Yay you on 5 days. That's a success within itself.

The weekend is coming. I am worried about how I will avoid a binge when unscheduled.

I'm assuming you do better when eating to a plan or schedule (not everyone does - I just go off in the opposite direction and eventually rebel - badly ). So would it be possible to sit down and plan out your weekend eating in the same way you plan your weekday eating? Maybe your family needs to make time management and food compromises to help you out with your needs for a bit?
    I wish you all the best with it. Don't be too hard on yourself - two steps forward and one back is better than no steps forward at all.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    5 days without a binge.

Sleep report. It is not getting better. Something that I am taking in the afternoon or evening is keeping me hyped up so i toss and turn for several hours at the beginning of the night. I moved the magnesium, calcium and second adrenal supplement to the AM. I stopped the melatonin because it made me feel weird... sleepy, but wired. I will also ban caffeinated drinks after noon. Right now I have a 4pm coffee which could also be the problem.

The weekend is coming. I am worried about how I will avoid a binge when unscheduled.
    Probably the coffee, but B vitamins do the same thing for me if I take them late.

Magnesium before bed should help you sleep, though.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    So it is Saturday night and my husband is at work. That means I am alone with my lover (food). My kids are oblivious because they are wrapped up in other things. So far my lover is not trying to seduce me. I am preparing dinner and am feeling strong.

This is clean day 6. I have been eating very low carb (<50g, essentially protein and veg). I have been working on getting better sleep using magnesium etc. I am in days 14-28 of my cycle and have started taking 20mg Prozac again. I did not take it days 1-14. Hopefully this will help when the hormones go haywire in the next week.

Emotionally, I am OK. I had a recent disappointment that I wrote about in my journal which I handled well. As always money is an issue. I had a fabulous 1st week back to school and am feeling like Super Teacher. My kids are happy with school as well.
    I am not currently ticked off at my husband.lol These are all good indicators that I could have a clean weekend.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

yeah! I just got myself a magnesium/calcium/D3 combo to see if that will help my sleep. melatonin nor valerian nor a combo worked.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    1 day binge free
    I wanted to describe my binges because they can be pretty severe and It might help someone else to know that they are not crazy or alone in this. Most days I eat fully Primal until after dinner. I will feel fine with little urge to binge. Suddenly, I will begin to picture a certain high carb food. My mind will begin to obsess on that food. I may try to pep talk myself out of it, but another part of my mind is saying "Oh go ahead, you deserve it, tomorrow is another day". (I call this voice Scarlett O'Hara)
    Eventually I give in. I'll eat the food I was thinking about. Then I'll eat something else and so on. I will eat for 2-3 hrs straight and then fall into bed like a drunk on a bender. Being tired and stressed/annoyed seems to be a big trigger problem for me.

Here is a typical binge:
    Ice Cream
    Cereal with milk
    Bread and PB
    Fruit snacks
    Graham Crackers
    Chips
    Candy

*Now the reason for my weight regain becomes clear. I do this at least 3x a week. Afterwards, I feel great remorse and self loathing, but I can't seem to stop it from happening. BTW all of the above is in the house for my husband and kids. Bad, I know.
    Get it out of the house! Seriously. That is what I need to do, too. Or buy what you will not eat (although it looks like at that time you will eat anything). Empty the house of binge foods for the short term if you have to; explain to your husband why you are doing this.

Do you have to be alone when you binge? If so, then don't be alone. Sometimes it takes a detox period of sorts before you can really get a handle on it. I've been there with full blown bulimia for years (until I was 31; now 47). Leave the house at that time for a walk if you can. Do something!

I feel for you. I haven't read any updates yet so I apologize if you have heard this over and over or if you have already done what I've suggested. Why we binge is so variable, so I hope you are able to find something that works. I don't feel the desire to binge when I eat enough protein.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately, my family is not Primal so removing those foods is not possible. My sons are 17, 14 and 8. The youngest has Asperger's and is particular about his food. I have tried to get them to be gluten free at least, but no luck so far. My husband will not stand for my "depriving" him and the kids just because I have no control. In some ways I agree with him. I can binge on anything Primal or not.

And I don't have to be alone to binge. It just makes it easier. I am rarely alone.

Distraction is a good idea. Thanks
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately, my family is not Primal so removing those foods is not possible. My sons are 17, 14 and 8. The youngest has Asperger's and is particular about his food. I have tried to get them to be gluten free at least, but no luck so far. My husband will not stand for my "depriving" him and the kids just because I have no control. In some ways I agree with him. I can binge on anything Primal or not.

And I don't have to be alone to binge. It just makes it easier. I am rarely alone.

Distraction is a good idea. Thanks
    Ah, my youngest has an Autism Dx (he is 11); more like Aspergers now. I get the STRESSSSSSSSSSS and the food aversions. My son was entirely GF for several years to alleviate some heavy duty digestive problems (very gassy), but now can tolerate some gluten. It is tough. I actually have another thread going on how to get coconut oil into that kid!

My house is full of SAD crap. Full of it. I go through times where I get all mad at how poorly my kids are eating so I empty out the house. Then I slowly bring it back in. Today I bought 2 fun-size bags of Snickers and Milky Way for the kids (15, 14, 11); telling myself I will not eat them. We'll see. At least I am not throwing up anymore, but the binge eating is so hard on the confidence and motivation.

I had a friend do this: She wore a rubber band around her wrist and snapped it when she started eating out of control. At the first bite. I know you understand the dissociative state we seem to be in when we binge. That 'how the hell did that happen?' moment after 30-60 minutes of eating where we tally up what went in to our stomach. She felt that snap broke it. It reminded her to leave the house, take a shower or just do something to get her out of the food. I never tried it.

We all share some similar stories and trials. Our solutions, unfortunately, will vary so widely. I hope someone offers something for you that will hit home.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

It is good to know we are not alone in this. I may try the rubber band idea. I have actually been thinking about duct tape. No, really. On evenings when I feel the obsession coming on and I have finished eating for the day, I am going to tape my mouth shut until bedtime. I have not had any food fantasies this week so I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know how it goes. lol

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Paula, a surgical mask would probably do the same thing because you would have to remove it to eat something and that action brings you back to the here and now. It is what I do when I bake or make desserts. It would be easier on the skin. Or how about one of the football mouthpieces. One of the ones that you heat and then shape to your teeth. They can be quite difficult to get off and that would slow things down.

Getting stuff out of the house doesn't work for me. I have binged on raw Brussels sprouts (that is absolutely true, dipped in homemade ranch dressing). The next day was much more unpleasant than if I had done cake or whatever.
    Chris
    Unknown

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast