Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Binge Eater's Group Support Journal page 4

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    To stop a binge attitude, most effective is a giant smoothie, I do best when I have a smoothie for breakfast, ave about 8oz of it to drink while I am making my Lunch, and then a second smoothie for the 4pm witching hour. When I don't do my 2 smoothies, a binge is nearly inevitable, unless I am busy or out of the house.

My second choice would be to nap while listening to a meditation.

Snoops, I find that I am feeling much better with more carbs, and they almost all come from veggies. I shoot for at least 10 non-starchy veggies and no more than 2 fruits (one is usually berries and one is usually an orange). I average between 80 and 100g of carb a day (I shoot for between 175g and 200g of protein), I am guessing I weigh more than you (260ish) so I need more calories/carbs/protein than what you described. When I do this I have no room in my belly for binging.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    So what do YOU all do when you can forsee a binge coming on. For example: today I am home with a sick kid (I am home), I am also not feeling so hot (feeling sick), TTOM (need I say more), did not sleep much over the past couple days, sick kid (I am tired).
    It's hard when you can see it coming, and feel like you're on a slippery slope downwards with no hand grips to stop the slide. Sometimes just acknowledging that you feel like crap and that eating is the most soothing (if misguided) self-care method that you have to have at your disposal *at this point in time* makes you feel a bit less angry/disgusted with yourself and more compassionate. Eating too much while in a curious, thoughtful, sympathetic and self-aware state is less destructive than eating too much in a disgusted, guilty or frustrated state, and the binge may well be much shorter.

Some practical things which have worked for me, though:

Distraction, distraction, distraction - just white-knuckle it for a while as you get into watching or reading something really interesting (your favourite TV show, a much-anticipated book) and you may be able to ride it out to the point that you kind of forget the urge and it lessens.

Drinks - I agree with Paula that filling up on hot drinks helps. Love bone broth or bouillon, and a frothy and delicious smoothie can fill you up something wicked.

Exercise – a few minutes sweating it out on a bike tends to get the endorphins going for me. Dancing would be good too. Sometimes it's just the act of *starting* to do something positive for myself which swings my brain into the mode of wanting to continue to do something positive for myself. This is why I try to drag my lazy backside onto the bike as soon as I get out of bed in the mornings – I'm not keen to start with, but I do feel so much better afterwards and it kick-starts my day going in the right direction, and for some reason immediately makes me want to eat better too. I'm thinking of trying a pre-dinner exercise burst too, to see if it influences me into making better choices.

Paula – can you share some more about your knowledge of and experiences with L-glutamine?
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I started l-glutamine upon the recommendation that it might help with sugar cravings. When put under the tongue it absorbs into the bloodstream faster. If my body is only craving sugar or carbs, it helps. It will not, however, stop an emotional binge.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

This reminds me that years ago I had staples put in my ears (by a Chiropractor) to suppress appetite. It did, and if that was the only reason I ate it would have worked beautifully.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    well last night could be considered a binge.. did not feel good so had a crustless pizza and salad. Not the best ingredients but at least I ordered my pizza sans crust.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

you ordered a pizza without crust? how does that work?
    Chris
    Unknown

you tell them to just put ingredients in the pan and run it through the oven. Its good.. eat it with a fork
    Karin

sounds yummy. never would have thought of it. Of course when we do go out to eat (very rarely) it is not a pizza place. On the road it is usually Wendy's (nice salads), in town it would be some local joint. I usually make pizza for the rest of the family once every couple of weeks, but they get crust. I just make myself a BAS (I love them!)
    Chris
    Unknown

My dd LOVES pizza. I think I am the ONLY one who orders my pizza this way so I know the cooks now. LOL
    Karin

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    5 days without a binge.

Sleep report. It is not getting better. Something that I am taking in the afternoon or evening is keeping me hyped up so i toss and turn for several hours at the beginning of the night. I moved the magnesium, calcium and second adrenal supplement to the AM. I stopped the melatonin because it made me feel weird... sleepy, but wired. I will also ban caffeinated drinks after noon. Right now I have a 4pm coffee which could also be the problem.

The weekend is coming. I am worried about how I will avoid a binge when unscheduled.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast